Dec 05, 2012, 08:48 PM
Сделем Америку Великой Снова
Thread OP
Discussion

Extreme Flight 91" Extra 300 EXP

So who is ordering one of these?

I'm hoping to...

So, does anybody know if the KS-1060 tune pipe will fit on a DA60 in this bird?

And if so, what header would work with this combination?

Or where to find this information?

Also, what are the trade offs involved in the KS-1060 versus the DA-60?

I've never done a gas or glow plane so I have some learning to do. Any help will be most appreciated.

UPDATE: I just found the 91" Extra 300 EXP manual.
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Dec 09, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2012, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
I did some poking around, and found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREMEFLIGHT
The KS 1060 gives a considerable power increase to the DA-60. Throttle transition is a little different than a stock muffler but nothing you can't get used to in a couple of flights.
You will need to purchase a 25mm drop header and coupler kit. DA sells all of these accessories, not sure of other KS dealers in the U.S.
Quote:
Please rememeber that a pipe is not necessary with the DA-60 to have a spectacular flying experience with the Extra, but it is certainly an option, thus the full length pipe tunnel built into the fuselage. If low and slow 3D is your thing the stock muffler is going to be your best bet. Daniel's style is fast and aggressive, rarely do you see him hover, torque roll or harrier for an extended period. The pipe works well for him and his style.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELPH
I agree with what Chris said. The pipe is not mandatory, but I do plan to run one to get more top end power and airspeed. Outfitted with a DA-60 on a stock muffler, the 91" Extra will feel like a huge foamy!
Quote:
EF: I would suggest that if noise is not an issue at your field to use the stock DA muffler as it will provide the best transition and require the least amount of tweaking. I like both of the pipes and use whichever one is available to me at the time. I am currently using the 1060 in my 91" Extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELPH
I think the Mej 24x10TH would be too much prop for the DA-60 on a muffler. I would probably run a Vess 24B Stealth, or a Falcon 24x8 if I didn't have a pipe. The Vess 22B will not be enough load for the DA-60.
Dec 05, 2012, 09:43 PM
" I only fly Davebuilt"

high expectations

Was able to get one of the red scheme versions yesterday....been waiting for this bird since seeing it fly at this years Joe Nall. I plan on using a DA60/ MTW RE2/ Mejzlik 24X10TH combo in the 91" Extra. I have the same power setup in a 89" AJ Slick with a high res/speed throttle servo and I'm HOOKED on the insanely fast response. I have huge expectations for this plane....going to be a keeper!!!!

James
Dec 05, 2012, 10:20 PM
Thread OP
wrjames38, awesome! At least you have some experience with birds of this size. I have high expectations too, especially after flying the masterpiece of fun, the 64" MXS.

Given that I have no experience tuning a gas motor, I think I am going to go with the stock pipe, based on advice I've received. It sounds like I can upgrade later to a tuned pipe.

I flew the 60" extra on a 15x6 for a long time and liked it, but after flying the 15x8 and 16x8 on the MXS, I would like to know if the 24x10TH can work on the DA60 with a stock muffler.

Like I said, I have a lot to learn now...
Dec 05, 2012, 10:56 PM
" I only fly Davebuilt"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC
wrjames38, awesome! At least you have some experience with birds of this size. I have high expectations too, especially after flying the masterpiece of fun, the 64" MXS.

Given that I have no experience tuning a gas motor, I think I am going to go with the stock pipe, based on advice I've received. It sounds like I can upgrade later to a tuned pipe.

I flew the 60" extra on a 15x6 for a long time and liked it, but after flying the 15x8 and 16x8 on the MXS, I would like to know if the 24x10TH can work on the DA60 with a stock muffler.

Like I said, I have a lot to learn now...

Like the posts from extreme flight and Daniel state....Tuning in the 60 with a muffler is much easier and there will be no rpm" surge" or "coming on the pipe" as with the KS or MTW tuned exhaust. The hard transition from the pipes can be dampened with different header lengths and throttle curves. You can buy props to try out yourself...but Daniel gave great info on what props would be best with mufflers or tuned pipes.

James
Last edited by wrjames38; Dec 05, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Dec 06, 2012, 12:59 AM
Team Twisted!
Keeping an eye on this one. Can't afford it now but if i can go 50-60cc this would be the perfect plane for me. Looks AMAZING!!
Dec 06, 2012, 02:25 AM
Just flitting about!!
Take a look over in Flying giants.

There's many, many pages dedicated to the setup of this 91" plane.
Dec 06, 2012, 03:21 AM
Thumbflyer
I went to order the red scheme today and out of stock already!?! Going to call tomorrow just to confirm, not sure if I will wait for it to be restocked or get the blue one. Already have DA60, tuned pipe, all servos, batteries, switches... basically everything to put her together. Just been waiting for the 88.25 to come back in stock and recieved the email notificaton today. Looks sweet!
Dec 06, 2012, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Good luck IEATSRT.

Ugh, my order is still pending. The anticipation is killing me.

But from what I understand, they got a lot of orders, and are having to unload containers of what I assume are very large boxes, and fill those orders, with 2 or 3 people. Just glad I made it for the red/black/white.

I hope extreme flight can continue to manage inventory well...it is a big reason why I like them, in addition to the nice flying planes. Everytime I've needed to replace parts so far, they've had what I needed in stock at a fair price with quick shipping. Knock on wood.

There is nothing worse than having a prized plane out for 6 months because the mega-distributor cannot manage inventory.

As EF transitions from a small on-the-ball outfit to a larger supplier of RC airplanes, I hope they continue to be successful at matching inventory with demand...it's a very tough problem especially with lead times and money that needs to be tied up, together with uncertainties of market demand. But EF seems to have recognized--it seems to me based on my experience--that having very good flying airplanes is not enough--inventory and spare parts availability are also important.

Regarding the props, etc., Daniel and Chris give out great advice, but I'm the type of guy who wants to know the why behind recommendations, as well as trade offs. Like I said, I have a lot of learning to do with this transition to gas engines. I suppose I should go poke around the DA website and see if they have any manuals...
Dec 06, 2012, 11:55 AM
Thumbflyer
Thanks LoneWolf no luck. Talked to Curtis today and said they were expecting to have some (red/white/black scheme) around new years... hopefully! If you guys see they are in stock before this someone please pm me if I'm not around... I need to have this plane. My winter project isn't getting off the ground very well with no airframe! -33C today, too cold to sled, what else does a guy do?? Will be keeping a close eye on it.
Dec 06, 2012, 12:03 PM
Got some items delivered today... mostly RC parts and the cowling... rest should arrive tomorrow...

On the pic you can see the difference in dimension pretty good.

Greetings from Germany

Marcel
Dec 06, 2012, 12:17 PM
Thread OP
Lucky dog! (mp.stumpy )

Looking good though...like that cowling.
Dec 06, 2012, 12:41 PM
aka ECAA3D
I missed out on a red one. I literally got the notice...got home card in hand and it was gone.

I don't want two of the same scheme although I'm sure I'd get some comments from the Vets at the club.

The red just pops more for me so I'll wait. Tax season is almost here so things might go quicker than expected as long as EF gets more in stock.

the 104" is looking good though too.....depends on how much I owe to the taxman.
Last edited by m0dest; Mar 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM.
Dec 06, 2012, 12:47 PM
aka ECAA3D
DIY Fiji tank

Fiji water bottles. These guys make the hardware.
http://www.pspmfg.com/FijiAluminumwa...eltankcap.html

I asked about it when I saw a 100cc fly the first time, the guy was all....".you see those clunkers"(weights)......"yeah"......."that's why!!"

Pretty common in the giant scale world.

Tutorial

http://www.thunderboltrc.com/tutoria...rial_nine.html
Last edited by m0dest; Jan 23, 2014 at 08:58 PM.
Dec 06, 2012, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
Are you in New Zealand?

I agree on the scheme...I already have a blue/white/red on the 60, which is why I wanted the red/white/black on the 91.

Quick Reply