Dec 05, 2012, 04:09 PM
Sam,

I don't expect him to know this radio as inside and out as I do. The sequencer was a lot of fun to include. The radio can do a lot and I don't know all of it yet.

Your model was a perfect situation for everybody to learn from. There are many times I've learned things from the forum or from Support, applications that we had not imagined.

Jeff just asked me if it a DX18 could do a sequential engine start for electric motors. When I had a chance later that afternoon I made it and e-mailed it to him. The e-mail explaining how took longer to type than it did to make the mixes and sequence. The only suggestion I put in that I didn't do was to use the last mixes instead of the first, since a curve mix isn't needed and could be used elsewhere.

It's not "experimental" as far as we're concerned, it's a typical application. Go have fun with it!

I can't wait to see more pictures of your Connie.

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2012, 04:20 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan View Post
... when I initially asked him for this, his answer was NO, then while talking to him, he even went through whole programmings including sequencing and said, nothing is there set up to do what ...
I lost count how many times at first talk with HH customer service there not 100% sure on the answer and also found sometimes some of them will just say NO.

I don't work for HH and won't get into why one wouldn't just say "Let me get back to You"

I still am not 100% sure what you mean about AUTO & MANUAL, the whole idea behind using the Sequencer is the simplicity of having it on one switch.

At least now with what you have and what I provided here you know it's doable (it always was) and you will be able to use it on your plane.
Dec 05, 2012, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan View Post
It's amazing that you have found a way to do this by yourself where as It took ne months to find a way to do it
I don't think it's that amazing. Have you seen how many times he has posted helpful information? FC finds things in the code and has all kinds of great ideas for improvements. He does that all the time.

If he didn't live down the road from you, I'd love to have him here!

Andy
Dec 08, 2012, 04:19 PM
Thread OP

Timed Sequencer Event.

Using the DX18 Sequencer as Switch I can create a Timed Event for my Landing Lights to turn OFF after the Flaps have returned to there normal position.

My Light controller has switchable ports for taxi/landing lights that I connected to a free channel on my receiver. I have this channel assigned to Sw.A for simple On/Off operation of the landing light as well as creating a mix to this channel using the Sequencer as the activating switch.

The result is the ability to flash my lights anytime I want without deploying flaps but also have the lights ON while Flaps are deployed and lights only turn Off after the Flaps have returned to there Normal Position.

The Sequencer itself is very simple as all that was needed to do was assign a switch to it and then set a time delay for it. Then it's a matter of selecting this sequencer as a switch in the mixing menu and selecting what position is On and Off

Spektrum DX18 Sequencer (2 min 7 sec)
Dec 09, 2012, 05:59 PM
Nice! You need to attach the SPM file for that, or at least make screen photos of the pertinent settings.

Thanks for a great instructional video!

Andy
Dec 09, 2012, 10:00 PM
Thread OP

Timed Sequencer Event

Using the Sequencer as a Timed Switch. The following example is the base programming for the video I posted above where the Landing Light turn ON when Flaps are deployed and turn Off only after the Flaps have returned to their normal position.

In order to create such a Sequencer event you must enable one:
Selecting Sequencer from the Function List, select one of the 5 available Sequencer. By default Seq. #1 & #2 have Preset Sequences already created but there SW. activator is Inhibited.

After you select a Sequencer, the Sequencer sub-menu appears. The first selection is the switch selection and for this example (video from previous post) I am using SW.D (Flap)
Once you make this selection the Forward & Reverse Position/Travel appears with the selected switch (sw.D) 2/3 positions. The black tick under the position numbers 1,2,3 indicates the actual switch's physical position. The Highlighted position values represent the On/Off or where you want the sequencer to travel forward and reverse based on the switch position.

In the video above the Forward has the 0 position darken while the reverse has 1 & 2 darken. The Speed section is of course the timed/delay you want for both direction that you can of course set for each.
Now for this sequencer type (timed switch) there is nothing else required to in this screen or the other (next). However you can assign a name to it using the Name A portions as well as the (3 letter switch label) I called mine LED.

IMPORTANT to note, once you have created a sequencer you MUST reboot the radio for these changes to take hold in the system.

Now when you create a mix, the Switch: selection should now have the Sequencer options you just created. All you have to do now is select the Mix On/Off positions.
Last edited by freechip; Aug 22, 2018 at 08:04 AM.
Dec 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
... Now when you create a mix, the Switch: selection should now have the Sequencer options you just created. All you have to do now is select the Mix On/Off positions.
Forgot to mention that you may also notice another 3 position selection appear from the Sequencer you have just created.

You will have the a 5 position selection based on the 5 points of the Time Delay.

&

You will also have a 3 position selection. This switch value 0, 1, 2 are based on the position of the commanded servo output. The switch points are spaced at equal thirds across the full range of travel.
Jan 02, 2013, 08:23 PM
Thread OP

Sequencer Channel Cycling.

Ever want to use a channel that cycles back and forth for multiple reasons?

Gun Turret, wipers, etc.

The DX18 Sequencer can do it for you. Here's a teaser video for now.

Cycling sequencer teaser (1 min 4 sec)
Jan 03, 2013, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
Another Teaser with dual speed.
Cycling Sequencer (0 min 33 sec)
Jan 03, 2013, 12:55 PM
Thread OP
Spektrum DX18 Sequencer (1 min 1 sec)
Jan 03, 2013, 03:31 PM
Always trying to learn
Very cool. Can you make him blink and stick out his tongue too?
Jan 03, 2013, 03:48 PM
Thread OP

Sequencer Programming For Cycling Channel

Alright DX18/DX18QQ owners this if a fun one. Ever want to have a channel to moves back of forth on its own for whatever reasons. Example a Gun turret, Wipers or maybe even a pilot head just moving around randomly.

Well the DX18/DX18QQ Sequencer can EASILY be setup to do this. With just a few programming steps in the sequencer you can get basic channel movement while still be able to fully adjust the speed and movement. Add multiple sequencers and mixes and you can have numerous settings and options to creating endless possibilities.

The Following will explain how to get the basic working and also some added programming to customize the output to almost anything you want as for timing, movement and randomness.

The Basics
Accessing the Function List and scrolling down to Sequencer only one is needed for basic movement BUT a second is recommended for the additional feature such for a Random effect.

Once you select your Sequencer you must select a switch (for simplicity Sw.A).
You must also change the speed from normal, start with 10sec for both directions.
The next thing to change is Type B:Propo (proportional) must be changed to Type B:Step
Now select Next (next screen)
The next screen will display the Time Line and both channels S#A & S#B, the way this all works is S#A is for the movement of the channel while S#B is going to be used as a switch and basically is what is going to trigger the sequencer timeline tick/mark to travel back and forth.

In S#B you need to set the positions as follows.
With Sw.A in Pos.0 the timeline tick/mark should be on the right.
Point 0,1,2 & 3 will all be -100% while Point 4 needs to be +100%.
With Sw.A in Pos.1 the timeline tick/mark should be on the left.
Point 0 should be -100% while 1,2,3,4 are +100%

What this does is prepare the switching or controlling channel so that the channel based on the time line will trigger the sequencer's forward and backward direction. Once the timeline reaches one end of travel it triggers itself to go back and once back and starts over again and again creating the cycling effect.

The Next step is very important and it's also needed for ALL Sequencer events created and that is you must reboot the radio for the new sequencer to take hold in the radio.

After rebooting the radio you need to go back to the sequencer created, once you have selected and access the created sequencer you need to change the switch selection and this is where the MAGIC will start.

Select your Switch selection and change it, you need to select the controlling switch (S#B) we just created. Once you select the S#B Forward 0 should be highlighted while reverse 1 & 2 should be highlighted by default but 1 is not required.

What you should now see in that screen is the Tick/Mark move back and forth from Pos.0 to Pos.2
Scrolling to the next screen you should now see S#B and the timeline change back and forth on its own.

And this is the BASIC of the Sequencer that is required to create this cycling event. Here you can input positions in S#A for your channel movement. Back on the first screen you can select a channel for Chan:A and this will cause that channel to cycle.

The Basic SPM provided has a single linear line from point 0 to point 3 while point 4 is not used because the switching channel switches at point 3.

PS: After you have imported the SPM file provided you must still apply the REBOOTING rule when creating a sequencer. Once you import the file if you go into the sequencer you will see it functioning BUT the Switch will be labeled INH. After rebooting the sequencer switch will be displayed properly.
Last edited by freechip; Aug 22, 2018 at 08:03 AM.
Jan 03, 2013, 03:52 PM
Freechip - now you just need to hook that guy to the telemetry, so he can tell me where I'm going....
Jan 03, 2013, 03:54 PM
Thread OP

Sequencer Programming For Cycling Channel PART#2

Now that you have a basic Sequencer cycling back and forth here is the really fun part.

Leaving the channel selection portion of the sequencer blank. If we want to use the sequencer cycling action on a channel you can instead create a MIX where the Slave channel is the channel that will cycle. For the Master input for the mix we can use two options.

Option#1 is selecting S#A, selecting S#A is the linear line we created in the sequencer and using 100% rates the result will be the slave channel will slowly move from one end of travel to the other over the timeline speed set (10sec). Using a Mix you can also assign a Switch giving you the option of turning the cycling for the slave channel On/Off.

Option#2 is selecting S#B, selecting S#B is the Step On/Off sequencer we created which will cause the slave channel to go end to end instantly like a on/off switch but still over the 10sec timeline created.
This option with a reduce speed to almost nil could give you a Strobing effect on a light connected to this channel.
Last edited by freechip; Aug 22, 2018 at 08:03 AM.
Jan 03, 2013, 03:59 PM
Always trying to learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwater2 View Post
Freechip - now you just need to hook that guy to the telemetry, so he can tell me where I'm going....
And with audio output so he can scream realistically right before impact (not that this has ever happened to me or anything...)!

Quick Reply