Thread Tools
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:17 AM
GFergy is offline
Find More Posts by GFergy
New York Highlander
GFergy's Avatar
Discussion

Lasertag technology for FPV combat...Discuss!


How about that? Could lasertag technology be modded for use aboard r/c electrics for FPV combat? How cool would that be?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:52 PM
Recce is online now
Find More Posts by Recce
Registered User
Recce's Avatar
Why would that be better than computer simulators or combat with streamers?
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
RDIII is offline
Find More Posts by RDIII
Registered User
RDIII's Avatar
I like the idea. Sounds great if you combine fpv equipment. i am not super excited by the "bee fight" that i see in the combat vids. i would like to see dog fights be more coordinated. Im sure the guys flying the planes know who their going after. but the spectators are just aimlessly waiting for a mid air. its fun im sure. and visually appealing.
but bring in laser tag/throttle cut tech + FPV ... well you have an acctual dog fight with real world physical dynamics. I've seen the "sonic" tech seems ok. however there isn't much info on it. range/accuracy...blah blah blah...and there hasnt been a lot of push for it. it faded quick. I dont think anyone has done the leg work to get a more true RC dog fight set up using the current max of technology. This is the direction i would love to see.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:50 PM
MaydayMayday is offline
Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Registered User
MaydayMayday's Avatar
I'm pretty sure Lazer tag uses IR which isn't great in direct sunlight.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:17 PM
ctrout is offline
Find More Posts by ctrout
Waiting for the paint to dry.
ctrout's Avatar
Night Combat is better for infra red but we found we need to add a lot of other things to the planes to make it work with FPV
We called it Video assisted flight. Use of video as the only view of the flight / fight was not easy.
AMAs limmits to 15 lbs also limmits a good effect list for what a plan can do to show damage.
A lot of ideas are in use today but videos are not.
All good things take time.
Trout
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:26 AM
Recce is online now
Find More Posts by Recce
Registered User
Recce's Avatar
FPV combat with lasers seems like a difficult thing to be made realistic to actual combat. Models are small and they move quickly, so their flight would be similar to combat with streamers when viewed from ground. Light travels faster than a bullet and there is basically no effect of gravity. Instead of chasing other fighters there would probably be some guys who just point and flash from distance, hoping to get a hit. In streamer combat there are also some who do aimless loops in a furball and hope to get cuts. If you actually try to chase someone with a steramer it it pretty fun, but needs a good reaction time, because even scale combat planes are very agile.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
RDIII is offline
Find More Posts by RDIII
Registered User
RDIII's Avatar
I agree 100%
So how i envision the dog fight is more of a nascar type race thru/over/around obstacles with the lasers only being clear for fire thru certain sections of the track. being fpv the pilots can better manuever thru small spaces giving the spectators something thrilling to watch other than the "kills".
As for staying far away and just blanket firing...keep the lasors working on some sort of count down timer or count up timer connected to the momentary switch. Also with the game being a combo of race and combat staying far behind is counter productive.

if said person would stay behind and shoot down all other pilots randomly there planes would only cut out for 1-3sec and then they would be back in the race. if he is too far back he has lost the race.
IM not sold on lasertag...but the sonic modules sound neat but there isnt much push for them...seems they have dropped off the radar.

We need a manufacturer to make a mini with sonic combat and fpv premounted in cockpit
Parkzone...Durafly...are you out there?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:18 PM
GFergy is offline
Find More Posts by GFergy
New York Highlander
GFergy's Avatar
Some great ideas! I'm not familiar with the sonic combat modules...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
ctrout is offline
Find More Posts by ctrout
Waiting for the paint to dry.
ctrout's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDIII View Post
I agree 100%
So how i envision the dog fight is more of a nascar type race thru/over/around obstacles with the lasers only being clear for fire thru certain sections of the track. being fpv the pilots can better manuever thru small spaces giving the spectators something thrilling to watch other than the "kills".
As for staying far away and just blanket firing...keep the lasors working on some sort of count down timer or count up timer connected to the momentary switch. Also with the game being a combo of race and combat staying far behind is counter productive.

if said person would stay behind and shoot down all other pilots randomly there planes would only cut out for 1-3sec and then they would be back in the race. if he is too far back he has lost the race.
IM not sold on lasertag...but the sonic modules sound neat but there isnt much push for them...seems they have dropped off the radar.

We need a manufacturer to make a mini with sonic combat and fpv premounted in cockpit
Parkzone...Durafly...are you out there?
If you had a chance to have one built, what woud you like to see and what would it do as the IR hits the lead plane other then chop the power?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:54 AM
GFergy is offline
Find More Posts by GFergy
New York Highlander
GFergy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrout View Post
If you had a chance to have one built, what woud you like to see and what would it do as the IR hits the lead plane other then chop the power?
I think if someone good with electronics could come up with a way for a pilot to "fire" an intermittent (limited time-length, focused) IR beam at a target plane's sensor, and a "hit" could trigger a momentary loss of throttle. Maybe a second hit could deploy a rolled-up streamer, replicating smoke/fire which would signify a "kill". I'd bet the Flitetest boys could come up with something!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:23 AM
ctrout is offline
Find More Posts by ctrout
Waiting for the paint to dry.
ctrout's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFergy View Post
I think if someone good with electronics could come up with a way for a pilot to "fire" an intermittent (limited time-length, focused) IR beam at a target plane's sensor, and a "hit" could trigger a momentary loss of throttle. Maybe a second hit could deploy a rolled-up streamer, replicating smoke/fire which would signify a "kill". I'd bet the Flitetest boys could come up with something!
Can you think of anything more. Not to the point of "on fire" but effects that you can see from 1000' away.
Things falling off the plane need to be of a size or number of parts to make an effects worth looking at. Adding cardboard tube to hold the parts should be a easy way to trap ribbons.
a pull rod from a servo attached to the IR system can move the plastic pull rod out of the way to release them.
Already done, what more would you like to see the idea do?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:08 AM
GFergy is offline
Find More Posts by GFergy
New York Highlander
GFergy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrout View Post
Can you think of anything more. Not to the point of "on fire" but effects that you can see from 1000' away.
Things falling off the plane need to be of a size or number of parts to make an effects worth looking at. Adding cardboard tube to hold the parts should be a easy way to trap ribbons.
a pull rod from a servo attached to the IR system can move the plastic pull rod out of the way to release them.
Already done, what more would you like to see the idea do?
Wow! Ok ctrout, I want to see a video of this!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
ctrout is offline
Find More Posts by ctrout
Waiting for the paint to dry.
ctrout's Avatar
If we post videos of the show it will limmit the guest willing to pay to see it. We use gass -10' aircraft at this time and no smaller planes are built.
2 promo vids are here in the site to help protect the job under the "Video Area".
We are using the IR systems for air to ground targets then Air 2 Air Combat.
Building a city take a long time.
Think of a train set that fits in a 3 acer lot , add IR to a few smoke systems within the buildings, add AA guns with IR ,timer clocks for the lights, sounds for the ground targets and make it all work lol
Having smaller planes with doors letting out small ribbons may not be as much fun as it sounds after you build and fly them.
But a ground display that shoots back ???
;-)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:29 PM
GFergy is offline
Find More Posts by GFergy
New York Highlander
GFergy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrout View Post
If we post videos of the show it will limmit the guest willing to pay to see it. We use gass -10' aircraft at this time and no smaller planes are built.
2 promo vids are here in the site to help protect the job under the "Video Area".
We are using the IR systems for air to ground targets then Air 2 Air Combat.
Building a city take a long time.
Think of a train set that fits in a 3 acer lot , add IR to a few smoke systems within the buildings, add AA guns with IR ,timer clocks for the lights, sounds for the ground targets and make it all work lol
Having smaller planes with doors letting out small ribbons may not be as much fun as it sounds after you build and fly them.
But a ground display that shoots back ???
;-)
Is this theory or reality at this point??
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:09 PM
ctrout is offline
Find More Posts by ctrout
Waiting for the paint to dry.
ctrout's Avatar
Its hard to call it reality with so much work still needed but in time I hope so.
In storage all over the yard until we have time to set it back up again.its a lot of work and few things go right the first time.
or 2nd..3rd lol
Last edited by ctrout; Dec 14, 2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: off today, sick as a dog~


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yippee! San Diego FPV/VP Meetups and Discussions flyandi USA - District X 4595 May 13, 2016 09:40 AM
Discussion FPV air combat corner ican3d FPV Talk 9 May 01, 2012 01:26 AM
Discussion Discussion - Blade CX-2 with Spektrum Technology. Can the TX and RX be reused for pla Charles Benner Micro Helis 1 Jun 15, 2007 06:59 PM
Discussion Discussion - Blade CX-2 with Spektrum Technology. Can the TX and RX be reused for pla Charles Benner Electric Plane Talk 1 Jun 15, 2007 03:53 PM
Spektrum DX7 technology discussion (moved from review thread) Chipwillis Radios 62 Jan 17, 2007 05:07 PM