Dec 10, 2012, 09:47 AM
Thread OP

Building the Pilot House and Deck Structures

After working up the hull, building the top side structures is a breeze. All the parts are either laser, or dye cut, and everything fits perfectly. The filling was done using both Bondo and Spot Glazing putty to clean things up nicely.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2012, 09:55 AM
Thread OP

Building the Railings

The railings are done from .032 brass wire. Patterns are provided for all of the major assemblies, and the parts are soldered together directly over the patterns. The 1/32 ply shims were made up and glued to the patterns with Elmer's glue stick, and the wire components taped in place to prep for soldering.

Once all the components were soldered together the railings were lifted from the patterns and trimmed to final shape.

The hole locations were marked for the upper cabin railing, but only the front center hole was drilled -- I've done these before, and the holes don't always line up quite right, so I find it best to start with one spot and let the rest fall where they may. As seen in the photo, the plan worked... The railing was bent to shape and fitted onto the cabin roof starting with the front center. The remaining holes were marked and drilled, the railing installed and secured with a drop of thin Cya at each point of contact.

PAT
Dec 11, 2012, 12:54 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Railings

The pilot house railings were bent to shape, fitted into the aft deck platform and glued in place. Then the lower stanshions were added. With that done, the lifeboat platform was built up, then the major assemblies painted. Then the position lights were added.

Things are moving along quickly now......

PAT
Dec 11, 2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
The railings are done from .032 brass wire. Patterns are provided for all of the major assemblies, and the parts are soldered together directly over the patterns. The 1/32 ply shims were made up and glued to the patterns with Elmer's glue stick, and the wire components taped in place to prep for soldering.

Once all the components were soldered together the railings were lifted from the patterns and trimmed to final shape.

The hole locations were marked for the upper cabin railing, but only the front center hole was drilled -- I've done these before, and the holes don't always line up quite right, so I find it best to start with one spot and let the rest fall where they may. As seen in the photo, the plan worked... The railing was bent to shape and fitted onto the cabin roof starting with the front center. The remaining holes were marked and drilled, the railing installed and secured with a drop of thin Cya at each point of contact.

PAT
Coming along real well looking nice
Dec 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
Your build is looking great Pat, You can see mine here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1546496

Jared
Dec 18, 2012, 09:39 PM
Thread OP

Working on the Smaller Sub-Assemblies

There are several smaller sub-assemblies required to make up the deck details, all tackled one at a time. I did a little skipping around in the recommended order, mostly to get all of the wood parts built up and painted, will then move on to the metal parts next. So far, the only snags I've run into was that the rudder hatch cover had some odd laser script cut in, and one of the depth charge dowels was missing. Niether was a problem, as scrap was used on both counts to correct the problems.
Dec 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
Thread OP

Painting the Major Assemblies and adding the Details

After all of the assemblies were built up the color coats were added, and when dry, the portholes were trimmed and placed. The life boat was then added to the main cabin assembly, and will rig the boom and the mast once all the remaining parts are assembled and painted. So far things are still moving along nicely -- except that the weather tanked and I hasven't been able to get the primer on the hull to locate and fix the last of the surface details yet. Once that's done then we can get busy finishing up the paint work and then get the deck details in place.

PAT
Dec 23, 2012, 11:23 AM
Thread OP

Starting the Small Sub-Assemblies

The next phaze in the process is to work up all of the component sub-assemblies. So, I started through the instruction book and worked through all of the component sections -- except for the deck gun. I saved that for last. The paint work was done as each group of parts were completed, then placed on the deck, but nothing was glued in place just yet.
Dec 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Thread OP

Rigging the Lifeboat and Setting Up the Deck Railings

With most of the basic assemblies finished, painted, and placed on the deck, the life boat was rigged to complete the main cabin assembly. Then it was on to drilling the 44 holes for the stanchions and fitting the eye pins for the deck railings.

The eye pins were glued in place, then each of the stanchions were built up from aluminum tubing and eye pins. A plate was made from 1/8 balsa. drilled to support the stanchions for painting. A happy side effect of using the 1/8 balsa plate is that the paint stopped at just the right place making the stanchions easy to position when installed on the deck.
Dec 23, 2012, 11:45 AM
Thread OP

Prepping the Hull for Paint.

Been patiently waiting for some decent painting weather to shoot the primer, but it has become painfully obvious that that's not going to happen anytime soon! So, the deck was masked, the paint brought inside and warmed up. The mixing was done inside, then the gun and the hull taken outside and shot, then brought right back in to dry. I'm not crazy about shooting paint in temps around 30 degrees, but for the next couple weeks that looked like about all there was to choose from, so figured it best to get with the program. Turned out just fine, except of course for the fine aroma of freshly sprayed primer in the house. I kinda' like it, but my wife, on the other hand.....

Once the first coat dried the minor boo-boo's were filled, sanded, and then out for the final coat. With that dry and wet sanded with 400 grit, the water line was marked -- More on that in a minute....
Dec 23, 2012, 11:54 AM
Thread OP

Color Coating the Hull

Once again, or should I say "still" the weather was a factor, so rather then using automotive paint sprayed with the detail gun the hull was shot using Testers Model Master enamels in the airbrush -- which works fine, it just takes longer.

The black water line was sprayed first, then remarked and masked using 1/4" wide plastic tape from Great Plains Now here's the deal with the water line: Tom told me when I picked up the kit that with the water line in the scale location that the model was not as laterally stable as it could be -- no doubt do to the narrow round bottom hull running perhaps just a little too light. I am not a big fan of wobbly boats, particularly since the breezes at our pond have become unrelenting -- so in an attempt to solve that I fudged the water line up 3/16". More on how that worked out later....

The red bottom was sprayed, then masked and the gray upper color sprayed last. When dry, all of the mask was removed and the entire hull rubbed down with a course paper shop towel to turn dead flat to a more scale-like satin sheen.
Dec 23, 2012, 12:09 PM
Thread OP

Installing the Running Gear

The rudder controls were set up as designed and the servo tray glued in place. As designed, things in the narrow hull are snug, but in Tom's usual clever way has rendered the servo peplaceable, so likely as not there will never be a problem.

Once again, a brushless outrunner motor was used rather then the standard brushed system. This time, still on the hunt for just the right outrunner for these types of boats I figured that since the Washburn Tug ran so well with a much smaller motor then expected that a 400 Class motor might do well here to. So, a Suppo 2212, 930 KV motor was selected and installed on a simple mount. The motor has a 1/8" shaft, so the standard Dumas Dog Bone couple was used right from the package with no modification needed. An 18A foreward only ESC was use, though for about $40.00 you can buy a very useable F/R R/C car unit that works just fine with a 2 cell Li-Poly battery.

Once it was all in, the Rx was hooked up and the system test run to be sure it would all work. The tray for the 5,000 mah battery was glued in and the battery, Rx, and ESC were secured with Velcro to finish up the installation.
Dec 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
Thread OP

Back Up On Deck....

With the running gear all in and working properly the deck components were glued in place. Then it was on to the railings. The stanchions were glued in place and the top railing added.

By now it was getting late in the day and the following morning looked like it might be the last decent day to run for awhile, rather then try to get all the details finished the model was balasted and made ready to run. It took almost 2 pounds of lead to gret the hull down to the water line, but it seemed very stable, so at this point, though not finished was ready tor the maiden run.
Dec 23, 2012, 12:25 PM
Thread OP

Skunked Again!!!

Saturday morning turned out less desirable then it should have, so it was back to the shop to work on the details til it warmed up a bit -- at 9:30 it was still 27 degrees with a 7 mph north wind. So rather then push it, I built up the deck gun and set up the last of the deck assemblies insted of going out to brave the elements.
Dec 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Last of the Railings

The only thing left now was to add the last two strands of deck railing. This was a time consuming process, but sure does add that finishing touch that the model needed. At this point, the Sub Chaser is completely finished and ready to go.

Quick Reply