Dec 03, 2012, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

DFS Reiher 1/4 scale

Well I'm gonna do another abbreviated build log, this time a Cliff Charlesworth 1/4 scale Reiher. Like my TG-2 this won't be a blow by blow account, just the highlights. The model is 4.75M, or 187" and will be all built up balsa and plywood. I acquired the plans several years ago and realized it was too much for me to cut all those parts so after some searching I found a short kit available from Key Publishing in England for a very reasonable price. After it arrived I was pleased with it, all the parts are laser cut and they looked very good. After I started to assemble I found some small discrepancies- the formers at the wing root were missing the stand-outs for the wing root fairing, and the #1 ribs were missing, I think because they are not shown on the plans. No big deal, I made the ribs and modified the formers.
I started with the tail feathers but haven't sheeted the stab until I get the fuse built and get the mounting plates done.
When I started on the wing I found that my plans are warped They must have got that way when printed or copied. So before I could proceed I had to draw some straight lines on the plans-I haven't checked the fuse yet. I wanted to build the fuse first but I need at least the wing inner panels done to get the attachment and alignment rod set. So my plan was to build the inner panels, then the fuse, then finish the wings, but I might just make the wings complete and be done with them. Anyway I got the spars done. I didn't really like the wood selection on the spars so I beefed it up a bit. It has balsa sides on the spar with ply stiffeners over the balsa. Just doesn't sound right to me so I made ply sides and stiffeners on the inbd. spar and out aways on the outer spar past the joiner plates at the bend. I also changed the mounting rod to 1/2" steel, not flat plates. I'll post more after some more progress.
Bill
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2012, 08:55 PM
I'm in!
Dec 03, 2012, 10:50 PM

Rieher

Hi Bill,
I will be following your progress with interest as I have a 1/3 CNC short kit version from Germany I started back in 2011 its shelved at this moment in time whilt i finish my 1/4 scale scratch build mahogany runbout boat.
Anyhow back to the Reiher if you are a discerning builder you may like to add the trim tab on the elevator which is on the port side, mine I made functionl the servo is hidden under the sheeting with scale type exit.
I changed the elevator and rudder T/E to a laminate of bass srips x 1/16 x 1/8 not only to follow scale but I was afraid the T/E would warp from the Solertex covering I also changed the hinges to the correct position and the pull pull attachment is scale. Where the fin and stab meet on the fuselage I made a scale F/G shroud as is on the full size.
My model is almost framed up I believe all have to do is finish the wing sheeting, install the spoilers and finish the cockpit canopy.
AUW should be 36lbs I used Hitec coreless servos, and back up battery system.
Post more pictures
David AKA the Brit
Dec 04, 2012, 10:04 AM

Fiberglass fuse

GAWD!!! UGHHHHH fiberglass fuse.
Just awful!

Yea I know, but it SAVES a lot of time. The only extant Reiher is all white with a small amount of blue trim.

I have several in 1/4 scale stock. That is what I have ---- the awful FG fuse.!!!
I'd like to have an ALL WOOD Reiher!!!!!

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStaley
Well I'm gonna do another abbreviated build log, this time a Cliff Charlesworth 1/4 scale Reiher. Like my TG-2 this won't be a blow by blow account, just the highlights. The model is 4.75M, or 187" and will be all built up balsa and plywood. I acquired the plans several years ago and realized it was too much for me to cut all those parts so after some searching I found a short kit available from Key Publishing in England for a very reasonable price. After it arrived I was pleased with it, all the parts are laser cut and they looked very good. After I started to assemble I found some small discrepancies- the formers at the wing root were missing the stand-outs for the wing root fairing, and the #1 ribs were missing, I think because they are not shown on the plans. No big deal, I made the ribs and modified the formers.
I started with the tail feathers but haven't sheeted the stab until I get the fuse built and get the mounting plates done.
When I started on the wing I found that my plans are warped They must have got that way when printed or copied. So before I could proceed I had to draw some straight lines on the plans-I haven't checked the fuse yet. I wanted to build the fuse first but I need at least the wing inner panels done to get the attachment and alignment rod set. So my plan was to build the inner panels, then the fuse, then finish the wings, but I might just make the wings complete and be done with them. Anyway I got the spars done. I didn't really like the wood selection on the spars so I beefed it up a bit. It has balsa sides on the spar with ply stiffeners over the balsa. Just doesn't sound right to me so I made ply sides and stiffeners on the inbd. spar and out aways on the outer spar past the joiner plates at the bend. I also changed the mounting rod to 1/2" steel, not flat plates. I'll post more after some more progress.
Bill
Last edited by Vintagesailplaner; Oct 20, 2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Mis-understood
Dec 04, 2012, 12:38 PM
Thread OP
What fiberglass fuse-I'm missing something. Mine will be built up wood.
Bill
Dec 04, 2012, 10:31 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
What fiberglass fuse-I'm missing something. Mine will be built up wood.
Bill
Exactly....what fiberglass fuse?
Dec 05, 2012, 11:22 AM

fuse?

Confused?

I will have a few 1/4 scale fuses for purchase by the first of the year?

I was trying to help some builders/followers of this Reiher build thread, if they did not want to build the complicated fuse. I had to use a custom made building jig to get and keep the wooden body true. Scratch built several years ago from my plans.

Geez, I am sorry if I offended anyone.
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZD16
Exactly....what fiberglass fuse?
Dec 05, 2012, 01:05 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesailplnr
Geez, I am sorry if I offended anyone.
Jim]
Offended?? Who's offended? I was just wonder where the comment about fiberglass fuses came from......out of left field. Fiberglass fuses are great for helping speed along a build.
Dec 05, 2012, 01:12 PM
-----
Confused
Dec 05, 2012, 01:47 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1
Confused
Bingo!
Dec 05, 2012, 06:36 PM
Thread OP
Jim,
I was actually trying to find a F/G fuse before I started this kit but couldn't find one. I thought I had a line on a Bob Sealy fuse but it didn't happen. Anyway, this will give me a chance at making a wood fuse. I've built plenty of models but never the "half shell" design. Should be fun. I have the tips from Scale Soarng UK and it looks do-able.
Bill
Dec 05, 2012, 07:07 PM

Hey

No Problem:

The halfshell is a P. in the A.

I've done three different ships. No matter how careful, some of the formers just will not line up. Be perpare to deal with the 1/16 to 1/8 misalignment.

I would suggest only "tacking" each former in place to the stringers.

I have a extra long building jig, so I glued the half formers together. Glus the tail piece in place and the widest former in place, then filled in the rest. Just one way - with good sucess.

Good lucj
Jim

Quote:
Jim,
I was actually trying to find a F/G fuse before I started this kit but couldn't find one. I thought I had a line on a Bob Sealy fuse but it didn't happen. Anyway, this will give me a chance at making a wood fuse. I've built plenty of models but never the "half shell" design. Should be fun. I have the tips from Scale Soarng UK and it looks do-able.
Bill
Dec 06, 2012, 08:42 PM
Thread OP

Spoiler question

I've seen 2 types of spoiler/air brakes on the Reiher-the blade type that scissor open and the barn door type that rotate open. Were both actually used and does it matter what type is used? My plans show the barn door style.
Bill
Dec 06, 2012, 08:48 PM

Reiher

They were scissor type
Dec 08, 2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
I've seen 2 types of spoiler/air brakes on the Reiher-the blade type that scissor open and the barn door type that rotate open. Were both actually used and does it matter what type is used? My plans show the barn door style.
Bill
The original Reiher used the DFS or "barn door" spoilers that were rather inefficient. The two Reihers built recently, D-6045 and D-7033, use the newer and much more effective blade type. Both use top and bottom spoilers in about the same location of the older DFS spoilers.

Quick Reply