Orientation / GPS / Video Synchronisation - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 03, 2012, 07:28 AM
Help!

Orientation / GPS / Video Synchronisation

Hi RCGs

I have a project where I need to record video, GPS and orientation information. Trouble is they all need to synchronised. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could do this? I haven't spec'ed the copter / controller / video capture system so I have a free hand to define more or less everything at the moment.

Any ideas?

cheers

Paul
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2012, 05:13 PM
can i ask what this is for first? sounds a bit sketchy
Dec 04, 2012, 05:21 AM

sketchy

I take your point. However, there's nothing dodgy about it, I'm just developing a SLAM (Simultaneous Localization And Mapping) that can build up a 3D map of a scene but uses both inertial and video information. The orientation / GPS information therefore needs to be synchronized when recorded with the video, but I only need a couple of test sequences to develop the system.

cheers

Paul
Dec 04, 2012, 12:08 PM
are you in the US or else where right now its illegal to use a sUAS in the US for for commercial use
Dec 04, 2012, 06:22 PM
You can get a time code generator. Often used in the music, and film industries. Record the telemetery, with the timecode overlayed to the recording.
Dec 05, 2012, 10:39 AM
Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about that, but it could still be tricky to get the accuracy that I need. Ideally I would like a board that could record video and telemetry together and time stamp them. However, I think I may well go for your suggestion.

Oh, btw, I'm in the UK and this is a non commercial University project.

cheers

Paul
Dec 05, 2012, 11:12 AM
you all good then
how much is hte budget for the project? there are few systems out there
Eagletree has some good stuff
Dec 07, 2012, 07:58 AM
Up to $1000 for the boards, although I would like it to be a lot less than this.

cheers
Last edited by csprh; Dec 07, 2012 at 09:14 AM.