Oct 27, 2014, 12:53 AM
kha
kha
openLRSng haxor
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil06 View Post
Hi
I have a Taranis Plus, DTF UHF Deluxe Jr TX, DTF UHF MiniRx RX (8ch), both running 3.7.1
First of all you are crossposting in two thread, don't do that. Consider upgrading to latest versions altough it is not the problem here.
Quote:
I want channel 1 to 7 using PPM and channel 8 with PWM for the video switch, as the video switch need PWM on the disco pro.

My setup is the following:
1/ Taranis is set to use PPM on Ch1 to 7.
2/ TX is set to use 12 channels from the Taranis (field RC output configuration).
3/ RX is set to limit PPM to 8 channels, port 1 is PPM, port 2 is channel 8.
3/ Naza is set to receiver PPM and port 1 of the RX goes to X2.
Where from you are inputting the ch8 into the TX? If you set taranis to output only 7 channels the channel 8 is not outputted anywhere. Set Taranis back to 8ch.

There is no need to configure TX to 12ch as you only use 8 (7+1)

On RX side if you configure port1=ppm and port2=ch8 the PPM stream wil contain all 8 channels and additionally port2 will output ch8 as pwm. Simply don't use ch8 on the naza for anything.

Quote:
My understanding is that: ch 1 to 7 from the radio will be multiplexed via PPM and will output on port 1 of the receiver, port 2 should output the channel 8 of the taranis using PWM.
Wrong, ch8 is not output at all from taranis.
Quote:
Now the Issue:
1/ while the first 7 channels are working on the Naza via PPM, I am unable to use the channel 8: when trying to put a servo on the port 2 of thr RX, it does not move.
What's wrong ?
I guess you got it from above.
Quote:
Can I use simulteanously PPM and PWM ?
Yes, but keep in mind that there is just single set of channels transmismitted, on RX you can select what PWMs you may want to output and where.
Quote:
Side question: I understand DTF UHF TX is by default using RSSI and is beeping when signal is low.
Using a Taranis, I would like to display RSSI on the Taranis, also putting some voice alert and disable the beeping from the Jr module.
1/ can I disable beep on the TX?
Enable "MUTE TX" on TX config.
Quote:
2/ what type of telemetry should I use in OpenTx Companion: Frsky S.Port or Frsk D ?
I recommend FrSky D (altough Sport works too)
Quote:
3/ do I need special setup (on TX and RX) ?
I tried S.Port but I have a no data message when displaying RSSI on the Taranis.
You need to set Telemetry mode to "Frsky" on the openLRS TX for 'D' or sport if you selected sport on Taranis.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2014, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by changosurf View Post
I tried putting the RX into spec-a mode, but it didn't appear to work. I saw some csv-formatted output scroll by in the console, which I believe was the frequency-dB info for the spectrum analyzer. However, it just scrolled by for a while and then the port automatically closed. It never jumped automatically to the spec-a tab, nor could I click on it.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?
@kha,
bump on my question above...
what should I do in order to get this to work? is it dependent on a specific firmware or configurator version? (I'm running the latest versions for both)
Oct 28, 2014, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kha View Post
First of all you are crossposting in two thread, don't do that. Consider upgrading to latest versions altough it is not the problem here.

Where from you are inputting the ch8 into the TX? If you set taranis to output only 7 channels the channel 8 is not outputted anywhere. Set Taranis back to 8ch.

There is no need to configure TX to 12ch as you only use 8 (7+1)

On RX side if you configure port1=ppm and port2=ch8 the PPM stream wil contain all 8 channels and additionally port2 will output ch8 as pwm. Simply don't use ch8 on the naza for anything.

Wrong, ch8 is not output at all from taranis.

I guess you got it from above.

Yes, but keep in mind that there is just single set of channels transmismitted, on RX you can select what PWMs you may want to output and where.

Enable "MUTE TX" on TX config.

I recommend FrSky D (altough Sport works too)

You need to set Telemetry mode to "Frsky" on the openLRS TX for 'D' or sport if you selected sport on Taranis.
Kha
Thanks and sorry for double posting: having no answer on the other thread, I though more people were reading this one.

Anyway, I now know how it works: what was not clear was that RX was receiving all channels in PPM stream and was able to both output the PPM stream on a port and at the same time "rebuild" spécific channel as PWM to be output on a given port.

On my RX, I can only output PPM on physiscal port 1: is this a limitation of my RX or of the software ?
To ease cabling, it would be great if I could output PPM on port 3.

Regarding telemetry, I still have some questions. On Frsky 2.4 systems, the RXs supporting telemetry are sending RSSI back to the TX. This can be read on the Taranis screen.
Can I do the same on my MiniRX UHF receiver ? I know I can output the RSSI signal on the RX to a port towards the OSD, but does it send the RSSI signal back to y DTF UHF Jr module to then read it on the Taranis ?

Thanks again for your help.
Oct 28, 2014, 02:44 PM
kha
kha
openLRSng haxor
Thread OP
Quote:
On my RX, I can only output PPM on physiscal port 1: is this a limitation of my RX or of the software ?
To ease cabling, it would be great if I could output PPM on port 3.
The PPM output is limited to specific port due to hardware limitation.
Quote:
Regarding telemetry, I still have some questions. On Frsky 2.4 systems, the RXs supporting telemetry are sending RSSI back to the TX. This can be read on the Taranis screen.
Can I do the same on my MiniRX UHF receiver ? I know I can output the RSSI signal on the RX to a port towards the OSD, but does it send the RSSI signal back to y DTF UHF Jr module to then read it on the Taranis ?
Yes this can be done by setting telemetry to either frsky (Taranis should be set for 'D' telemetry) or smartport (Taranis -> smartport telemetry) modes.

In 'D' mode TX->RX and RX->TX RSSIs are separately shown whereas smartPort only shows single value (lesser of the two).

You should note that the telemetry data is sent at considerably lower power from the RX and thus the telemetry range is far less than what the control (TX->RX) range is.

The TX unit will also give audible beep when it doesn't receive telemetry (can be disabled with MUTE_TX option).
Oct 29, 2014, 11:29 PM
I'm considering switching from the Orange TX over to the DTF UHF module, but I'm not sure if I should go with the JR module or the aluminum case style.

Any thoughts on the pros & cons of each?

I'm leaning more towards the aluminum cased unit since it looks as if it's sturdier, more resistant to RFI leakage, and possibly better for mounting to the radio & maintaining proper antenna orientation. I'm assuming that the standard 9x-styled radio mounts for DL and EZ are compatible with the DTF, correct? If not, then where can I get a good handle mount for the DTF? Does DTF sell its own mount?
Oct 29, 2014, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by changosurf View Post
I'm considering switching from the Orange TX over to the DTF UHF module, but I'm not sure if I should go with the JR module or the aluminum case style.

Any thoughts on the pros & cons of each?

I'm leaning more towards the aluminum cased unit since it looks as if it's sturdier, more resistant to RFI leakage, and possibly better for mounting to the radio & maintaining proper antenna orientation. I'm assuming that the standard 9x-styled radio mounts for DL and EZ are compatible with the DTF, correct? If not, then where can I get a good handle mount for the DTF? Does DTF sell its own mount?
I use the JR module. Did 3.5 miles the other day, definitely not its limit for range. Seen dudes doing 20km on the orange JR modules.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezikiel12 View Post
I use the JR module. Did 3.5 miles the other day, definitely not its limit for range. Seen dudes doing 20km on the orange JR modules.
thanks man.
I'm actually looking for feedback on the form factor, on whether there are any advantages/disadvantages to running one or the other.

The JR module would snap in nicely into my 9x radio, but then I have to deal with setting up a coax pigtail and rigging some kind of mounting plate for the antenna in order to change its orientation (I tried doing this for the Orange, but it was clunky and not very sturdy).

With the aluminum "DL/EZ-styled" enclosure, it seems like it's easier to orient the antenna vertically/perpendicular to the radio (i.e., when holding the radio horizontally). Dunno, perhaps this style sucks & has it's own downsides though...
Oct 30, 2014, 01:07 AM
The dtf module has a proper vertical antenna mount. Have you looked at pictures of it?
Oct 30, 2014, 01:21 AM
He is talking about antenna orientation. With the module you would have to hold the transmitter vertical. With the external cased one mounted to an antenna stand you can have the transmitter horizontal while the Tx box mounted to the stand is vertical.

I went with the JR module for my 9x & switched from a 1\2 wave monopole to a semi-rigid dipole using RG-402 as the feed. You can bend it & it will hold its shape. This allows me to orient it vertical by bending the feed line. The dipole is a better antenna for the transmitter as well especially if you are going to use the telemetry features of openlrsng.
Oct 30, 2014, 01:34 AM
kha
kha
openLRSng haxor
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezikiel12 View Post
The dtf module has a proper vertical antenna mount. Have you looked at pictures of it?
Also the jr module uses 328p instead if 32u4 processor, this has benefits since more memory is available (cli is disabled for 32u4).

Also on JR the i2c pins can be used for 2 additional analog inputs mappable to any channels (on the box one they are digital inputs due to overlook in design phase).
Oct 30, 2014, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdct View Post
He is talking about antenna orientation. With the module you would have to hold the transmitter vertical. With the external cased one mounted to an antenna stand you can have the transmitter horizontal while the Tx box mounted to the stand is vertical.
yes, this is what I meant. By rotating the external unit on the antenna stand, the antenna easily clears the top of the radio and can be positioned vertically when the radio is held horizontally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdct View Post
I went with the JR module for my 9x & switched from a 1\2 wave monopole to a semi-rigid dipole using RG-402 as the feed. You can bend it & it will hold its shape. This allows me to orient it vertical by bending the feed line. The dipole is a better antenna for the transmitter as well especially if you are going to use the telemetry features of openlrsng.
good idea & good to know, I'm seriously going to consider this...
thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Also the jr module uses 328p instead if 32u4 processor, this has benefits since more memory is available (cli is disabled for 32u4).

Also on JR the i2c pins can be used for 2 additional analog inputs mappable to any channels (on the box one they are digital inputs due to overlook in design phase).
I was under the impression that the 32u4 was only being used for the on-board USB (in place of using an FTDI chip). Are you saying that all of the main processing is done by a 32u4 and not a 328p? that doesn't sound right...
Nov 03, 2014, 08:15 PM
Quadquestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyoung View Post
Recently I tried to get frsky telemetry working between my Naze32 and DTF Rx. I followed instructions in the wiki for using one of the softserial ports (not the frsky telemetry outputs) on the Naze. Voltage was the only parameter I was trying to monitor. My taranis did pick up telemetry and cell and cells showed a voltage but it was very erratic. The values would jump by several tenths of a volt up and down and seemed completely unreliable. I gave up and used the frsky voltage divider directly into an analog port on the DTF Rx, which I have used before and that of course works.

My question is, has anyone gotten this setup to work properly? I assumed I did something wrong with the configuration but I guess I want to know this actually works before trying it again. I would like to use this feature to monitor current usage as well as voltage. I'm going to use one of Readerror's PDB (this) with the current sensor built in. Any help would be appreciated.
I am having the same problem. From what I have gathered from days of forum reading is: FRSKY Telemetry and Naze32- analogue port settings on the receiver settings page are for the FRSKY analog sensors, and you have to use the rx and tx pins on the ftdi header for the other telemetry stuff from the Naze32

so (correct me if i am wrong) the setup for NAZE32, OpenLRSNG, and FRSKY telemetry should be:

connect tx pin 6 on Naze32 to rx on the hawkeye receiver (FTDI port)

Configure Naze32:
Go to the CLI tab in base flight and type the follow codes:
enable the softserial port since we will be using softserial port instead of the real UART port
feature SOFTSERIAL
Enable Telemetry
feature TELEMETRY
Set the baudrate of the softserial to 9600 to communicate correclty with the FrSky receiver
set softserial_baudrate=9600
Set the softserial port 1 to inverted, since that is the way the FrSky protocol works.
set softserial_1_inverted=1
set the port on which you would like to put the telemetry data out (we use "1", since that is telemetry output over the soft serial rc input pin 6)
set telemetry_port=1
set the protocol for the telemetry output (we use "0" to select the FrSky protocol)
set telemetry_provider=0

I am not sure if an inverter is needed on the TX side. If you can see RSSI on your receiver than no inverter should be needed.

SOMEBODY PLEASE CONFIRM.
Nov 04, 2014, 12:32 AM
kha
kha
openLRSng haxor
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer247 View Post
I am having the same problem. From what I have gathered from days of forum reading is: FRSKY Telemetry and Naze32- analogue port settings on the receiver settings page are for the FRSKY analog sensors, and you have to use the rx and tx pins on the ftdi header for the other telemetry stuff from the Naze32

so (correct me if i am wrong) the setup for NAZE32, OpenLRSNG, and FRSKY telemetry should be:

connect tx pin 6 on Naze32 to rx on the hawkeye receiver (FTDI port)

Configure Naze32:
Go to the CLI tab in base flight and type the follow codes:
enable the softserial port since we will be using softserial port instead of the real UART port
feature SOFTSERIAL
Enable Telemetry
feature TELEMETRY
Set the baudrate of the softserial to 9600 to communicate correclty with the FrSky receiver
set softserial_baudrate=9600
Set the softserial port 1 to inverted, since that is the way the FrSky protocol works.
set softserial_1_inverted=1
set the port on which you would like to put the telemetry data out (we use "1", since that is telemetry output over the soft serial rc input pin 6)
set telemetry_port=1
set the protocol for the telemetry output (we use "0" to select the FrSky protocol)
set telemetry_provider=0

I am not sure if an inverter is needed on the TX side. If you can see RSSI on your receiver than no inverter should be needed.

SOMEBODY PLEASE CONFIRM.
Do not enable invert.

The telemetry connects to RX pin on the ftdi (6pin) header on the rx.
Nov 04, 2014, 12:35 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer247 View Post
I am not sure if an inverter is needed on the TX side.
You have the answer in what you posted... which lists a setting to set inversion in software.
You'll need to set it to 0 it if using openlrs.
Nov 04, 2014, 09:27 PM
Quadquestions
Quote:
Do not enable invert.

The telemetry connects to RX pin on the ftdi (6pin) header on the rx.
Thank you!!! This info is hard to find.

-Anthony

Quick Reply