Dec 02, 2012, 10:28 AM
Discussion

Free CAM to combine with Inkscape?

I have been playing around a bit and am trying to keep things free. Inkscape is nice for drawing simple things out, but I have found the gcodetools plugin to be lacking and buggy. What I am hoping to do is two types of machining:

1) 2D cut outs. The problem with gcodetools is that it only can follow a path, so you have to design your path to account for the bit diameter. I want a cam program that can cut automatically calculate inside and outside cuts. Am I better off using a 3D model, even though I am making 2D parts?

2) pocketing: I'd like to both pocket and cut out a part. In inkscape, I am supposed to do this using the area tool in one layer and the path in the border. But, the area algorithm is really buggy, doesn't quite do it. Perhaps I can draw it there, and generate the gcode separately.

I have been a searching and see there is gsimple, glam, cam bam, etc. I just haven't had the time to try them out. Looking for any input I can get. BTW - I am looking to do design in Windows, but I am running my new machine with LinuxCNC.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2012, 12:30 PM
Take a look at PartKAM: https://launchpad.net/partkam I've used it and it works quite well.

jgro
Dec 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Sketchup with the Sketchucam plugin (both free) devevloped for the Phlatprinter, unless you just have to have inkscape...

I have use Sketchup/Sketchucam with both my Phlatprinter and Sherline with no issues..