Aug 06, 2019, 04:57 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Crossing the shielded portion, or even wrapping them around together, knots or whatever won't affect the reception. The only key parts of the antenna is the unshielded 31mm and the connection to the rx board.

I did a heap of research when 2.4g first came on the scene and there's a bunch of cool stuff you can do to increase reception that's super easy too. I have some rx that have half wavelength Antenna at 62mm of unshielded as well as some 31mm 1/4 wavelength Antenna that have a second piece of 31mm length wire taped to the side of the existing 31mm. Tests revealed on both of them a small increase in range, which means an increase in sensitivity
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2019, 08:32 PM
Auzzie built planks
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc
Either a lucky guess, or maybe Timbuck has built one or two already?
Lucky guess
Latest blog entry: More colours
Aug 08, 2019, 12:33 PM
Yes, ALL your money...

I stormed A 51!!!

They canít stop us all...
Aug 08, 2019, 02:58 PM
Auzzie built planks
Thread OP
Wouldnít look to much out of place
Latest blog entry: More colours
Aug 14, 2019, 04:08 PM
DS Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON
Crossing the shielded portion, or even wrapping them around together, knots or whatever won't affect the reception. The only key parts of the antenna is the unshielded 31mm and the connection to the rx board.

I did a heap of research when 2.4g first came on the scene and there's a bunch of cool stuff you can do to increase reception that's super easy too. I have some rx that have half wavelength Antenna at 62mm of unshielded as well as some 31mm 1/4 wavelength Antenna that have a second piece of 31mm length wire taped to the side of the existing 31mm. Tests revealed on both of them a small increase in range, which means an increase in sensitivity
Very good to know, thank you Alex. Lately I'm flying some thermal ships to the limits of my visibility (1500-1700 feet) and I like knowing that connectivity is 100%..

And to keep this on topic, this will help for my Gizmo build, when my number comes up!
Aug 14, 2019, 04:10 PM
DS Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc
I never considered that crossing the shielded portion of the antennas would make any difference at all itís only the exposed ends that matter AFAIK
Thanks Doc -
Aug 22, 2019, 06:09 PM
Yes, ALL your money...

Wheeehaaa!!!

I returned to Cape Blanco to be met with 25 mile an hour winds straight in from the north, which is perfect! I flew the new gears light in big wind just to see how it would handle that much breeze. It is clean enough to penetrate without much problem but at 400g it gets tossed around just a little bit more than I would like. Oh look whatís this a 700 g gizmo I think Iíll throw it off the cliff!

At 700g the new XXX gizmo is faster than the old gizmo at 750g.
Last edited by winchdoc; Aug 22, 2019 at 06:50 PM.
Aug 22, 2019, 07:35 PM
Damage is expected
Sweet! I wish I could have been there... It's back to school time and I'm "on" for the next month.

We're you in the DS groove on most of of the flights? How was the front side behavior at both weights?

Dave W.
Aug 23, 2019, 10:30 AM
Yes, ALL your money...
DS brand new unobtainium?

HARD NO!
Aug 23, 2019, 10:53 AM
DS Junkie
Boo!! That's got to be easier than finding a furry hat that matches your beard perfectly!!
Aug 23, 2019, 12:35 PM
Wait, did you just find that 700g Gizmo? I think I left mine there a few weeks ago while waiting for the wind. Thanks for finding it for me, I'll swing by the hut in the woods sometime in the next few weeks to pick it up!
Thanks again!
Aug 23, 2019, 02:03 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
I got three words for you, and they’re all neener!
Aug 23, 2019, 07:36 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomleach
Wait, did you just find that 700g Gizmo? I think I left mine there a few weeks ago while waiting for the wind. Thanks for finding it for me, I'll swing by the hut in the woods sometime in the next few weeks to pick it up!
Thanks again!
You mean the green and yellow one covered in duck footprints?
Aug 25, 2019, 02:20 PM
Yes, ALL your money...

CG tuning

Well, I am back at the hut in the woods. It’s time to clean up the gizmos and figure out what to do with the CG.
To find the sweet spot, I usually tape a coin on the bottom of the fuselage and move it forward or backward depending on where I think the CG should move. This is easy to do on the slope and you don’t need any tools!

I moved it back in 1/4” increments until it “felt good “ and the trailing edges matched with the fixed portion.

Ok, stand back, I’m going to use mathematics!!!
Last edited by winchdoc; Aug 25, 2019 at 02:54 PM.
Aug 25, 2019, 04:59 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
By request

Quick Reply