Dec 01, 2012, 05:27 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

WHO filmed the PRETTY SWEET video intro????

Hello, i would like to konw who filmed with a Quadcopter and a dlsr the intro of this Recent Skateboard video, PRETTY SWEET , from Girl and Chocalte Skateboards.

Im skateboarder too, and also shared my love for the RC stuff and recently for the mutirotors and aerial videos.

here are a couples of snapshots, the fpv pilot/fillmer is with the green tee, and i would know his set up, and if the other guy with a white tee is controlling the camera? and how he contacted wiith the team, to know the history.

thanks
Last edited by lougedo; Dec 01, 2012 at 05:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2012, 12:32 PM
where the video comes from? youtube? maybe you can ask the guy who uploaded it,

also you have a lista of names in the 2 screenshoot, you could google/facebook them
Dec 01, 2012, 01:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1
where the video comes from? youtube? maybe you can ask the guy who uploaded it,

also you have a lista of names in the 2 screenshoot, you could google/facebook them
Its for sale on iTunes now, but there are some links to download it..
I will upload the full intro to so you guys.

Thanks, I will check the credits!
Dec 01, 2012, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Yes! he appears on the credits

Remoted Control Heli Camera

Robert McIntosh

Im going to look what i find aboout him and his works
Dec 01, 2012, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
YES!!! i already have watched this guy on vimeo!

https://vimeo.com/user387256

He is skateboarder too, i wrote him a message
Dec 01, 2012, 03:25 PM
hard to believe it was illegal to film the footage with a quad and then upload it for sale. Nothing filmed from an rc device can be made for sale and still be legal as a civilian activity. footage and filming technique was sale worth too. not illegal to post, illegal to gain income off it.
Dec 01, 2012, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
No, it's for skateboard company, they call him to film that intro, something that a steady cam or other system can't do.

Here is the intro, other guy upload it
FPV Quadcopter and Aerial Video for Intro in Pretty Sweet Skateboarding Video (5 min 26 sec)
Dec 01, 2012, 04:50 PM
its really awesome but still totally illegal. there's not any way you can use a camera on an rc platform to make money without registering with the faa. does anyone really care to enforce it? nah. we just like splitting hairs like that in here. its not legal to make money of aerial footage unless he's registered with the faa. Even if you are just generating click revenue on youtube with videos shot by aerial platforms...illegal. the only thing that allows us to currently use fpv or even los video equipment from the air is to not charge for it.

being paid for services initially or as royalties per click etc is where the line is crossed. still great footage tho

if he donated the video to them and they charged that could be different. not that any of this matters they just wanted to feature some rail grinds lol
Last edited by branflakes; Dec 01, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Dec 01, 2012, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
But it is a JOB for a company! There is a lot of people working with aerial filming and fotography, why are you saying is illegally?
If is a controlled area I don't know how it can be illegally
Dec 01, 2012, 05:19 PM
fly by night
it's only worth mentioning if you give a sh^t whether it was legally filmed&sold. I say, I do not giv e a sh&t if it was legal or not. There is minimal risk - he probably did not almost fly into a passenger airliner, so it should be legal, they should sell it and no worries. And why bring up such trivial regulations anyways?
Dec 01, 2012, 06:19 PM
just cuz its fun to be accurate.
Dec 01, 2012, 06:23 PM
it doesnt matter much though just like getting ham licensed everyone breaks the rules.

if a company hires someone to produce aerial footage of civilian flight rc systems thats illegal...where the footage will be used to make a profit. its just fun to talk about it, not that anyone is going to kick down your door.

if the quad pilot has a pilots license and is granted access in the national air space to fly commercial aviation drones then its all go. I could tell by the video that wasn't the case.
Dec 01, 2012, 06:26 PM
Aerial Photography
Filming from an aerial platform and selling the film is not illegal. The multirotor is used as an aid in the filming process, just like a camera stick or a rail. This cannot in any way be illegal. Even if it is against some regulations you have to prove that it was shot from an aerial platform, then you have to prove that it was shot from an aerial platform BY YOU, and then you have to prove that YOU were controlling the platform at that time, well, good luck with that.

Most people don't give a $h!t about all this legality stuff. How many people use a tx over 0.75mw of power (max allowed without a license)? Pretty much all, and now tell me how many of those have a amateur radio license? Probably not that many. Where is the legality issue now?

As long as the aircraft is used in a safe and responsible manner while filming, avoiding interference with other full scale aircraft and other ground-based facilities (be it radio interference or otherwise) there will be no issue with this matter, be it legal or otherwise.

Fly it smart and fly it safe.
Dec 01, 2012, 06:29 PM
oh there's issues, did you see the letter the faa sent the realtors doing the same thing? its actively recommended not to do by the govt if you wnt to be accurate

if it looks to be filmed and profited off a uav, they send the letters first they don't try and decipher all that. They'll simply ask the production company to furnish the clearance authorization if needed, but thats only if they get reported.

it doesnt matter much though I agree so many laws from the fcc and the faa are broken who could chase it all down. But when faced with flying illegally some don't want to. some might have thought it was legal to make money of quad copter footage fpv or los and its not. but I realize most dont care.
Last edited by branflakes; Dec 01, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Dec 01, 2012, 06:44 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrcguy
Filming from an aerial platform and selling the film is not illegal. The multirotor is used as an aid in the filming process, just like a camera stick or a rail. This cannot in any way be illegal. Even if it is against some regulations you have to prove that it was shot from an aerial platform, then you have to prove that it was shot from an aerial platform BY YOU, and then you have to prove that YOU were controlling the platform at that time, well, good luck with that.

Most people don't give a $h!t about all this legality stuff. How many people use a tx over 0.75mw of power (max allowed without a license)? Pretty much all, and now tell me how many of those have a amateur radio license? Probably not that many. Where is the legality issue now?

As long as the aircraft is used in a safe and responsible manner while filming, avoiding interference with other full scale aircraft and other ground-based facilities (be it radio interference or otherwise) there will be no issue with this matter, be it legal or otherwise.

Fly it smart and fly it safe.
Filming from a UAS that is flying in the NAS of the US and selling the footage
is illegal. You're right that they would not only have to prove that you sold
it, you piloted the UAS, and it was from before the time of regulation.
And it's not even clear that there even EXISTS a law that they could charge
you with for selling footage. All that aside, the FAA has still written cease
and desist letters to those who are trying to operate a UAS for commercial
purposes. (Most famous being the real estate guys.)

I have to agree with you when it comes to having a HAM license. Most do
not and if/when they are caught it's not going to be a good day for them.
Especially since it took me less than 4 hours combined effort to get a
technicians license.

I think that flying for commercial gain should be an option. Unfortunately, the
FAA has their head so far up their own tailpipe and haven't yet been able to
blow it out. Someday it will be and there will be rules for doing commercial
UAS, and I'm not saying the rules won't be insane. But the regs are coming.

-Blues

Quick Reply