Oct 14, 2019, 07:49 PM
fly by night
oh yeah, here on the island some of the best natural features are not in parks but just out in random wilderness. But very hard to get to

trouble I'd have flying over parks from the outside is the generally total lack of unforested land. Hardly any cleared land, especially along the roads. I've sometimes flown from mountain tops in parks, but we have so many of these spots there is often nobody there for half a day.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Oct 14, 2019 at 08:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2019, 12:10 PM
fly by night
more 3DP fun for a rainy day

designed this quick-remove FC shelf for the Vampire

drew up more detail for the Vampire instrument panel

a few shallow angle camera wedges. easiest things to design

I did not design this one, but I like it:

Oct 15, 2019, 04:23 PM
Good work on the 3D prints BC!

I have been printing up a storm too for the (soon to arrive) Reptile Harrier S1100. There is some very creative people out there designing parts! looking forward to getting this one up in the air with the FPV radar setup.

Took the leap and ordered a Jumper T-16 Pro with hall effect gimbals. I have looked hard at this and currently have so many different receivers that this radio will be a great fit and simplify flying all of my models.

The Hawkeye Firefly split died the other day. It had a gentle life and I am unsure what is wrong with it but doesn't work at all anymore. I pulled it from a quad and replaced it with a Caddx turtle V2. The Hawkeye gave nice HD video but FPV feed to goggles was marginal. Caddx FPV feed is a little better but still not as clear as I would like. I will have to play with it some more to get the HD video looking like I want it to, the stock exposure settings seem a little off.

Been tuning my 7" quad and have it smoother now than ever. Minimal jello and also tried an ND filter for the first time and it really improved the video. I was surprised how good it actually made it look.

Last Saturday was one of those rare windless days where it was warm and still. Had some smooth flights with both quads and wings. Nothing better to me than flying a wing with a symmetrical airfoil in calm conditions and doing effortless, smooth as silk maneuvers.
Oct 15, 2019, 07:12 PM
fly by night
congratz on taming the Tyro129. I never really got the motors perfectly smooth but the one time I tried using a ND filter it did eliminate teh jello. I have half a mind to change it to a 6S quad though, for better endurance and climbing
Oct 16, 2019, 08:59 PM
Well maybe someone from ZOHD read my post. I just ordered one. I hope they are being honest about it being sub 250 with all FPV gear even with a 100 gram 2S 18650.

The kopilot lite sound interesting but my experience with small AIO camera/vtx's so far hasn't been good. Over heating, awful picture & light handling etc.

https://www.banggood.com/ZOHD-Dart25...r_warehouse=CN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashAndBash
Nanogoblin I am aware of but I live in Australia and between the exchange rate and shipping cost from RMRC to OZ I just can't get myself to press buy. It's like the price of 3 mini AR wing's combined. Maybe 4.

I wish ZOHD or someone else would bring a quality sub 250 plane to market for non-North American buyers.
Oct 17, 2019, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
the motor is lower kV than the motor in the nanogoblin. might affect efficiency and limit prop choice on 2S. Also the nG comes with a Cobra motor which is higher quality. The servos in the nanogoblin are nothing special at all, but at least they are only 5g servos. The PNP Dart 250 has 9 gram servos for no known nor convincing reason. I suspect this ship will be hard to keep under 250g with all the features, but I mean it will fly well perhaps better at higher weight anyways - my nanogoblin flies great even at 350g with huge 7000mah battery
That's what I was thinking regarding the motor. I have a generic Banggood 1407 on my 75% FT Goblin and it flies well on 2 and 3s so might order another. Will wait for some reviews once people have gotten a hold of these.
Oct 18, 2019, 10:58 AM
Your cockpit looks fantastic BC.

Slow progress. Trying to keep as much in the body as possible to simplify removing the wings.

My iNav Radar modules have been lost to the Canada Post black hole apparently. Made it to shore only a few days after the rest of the order but no changes to tracking, nor has it shown up. Don't need it to fly but it sure would be awesome to try it with Smack and see how well it works.
Oct 18, 2019, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notamedclosed

Slow progress. Trying to keep as much in the body as possible to simplify removing the wings.

My iNav Radar modules have been lost to the Canada Post black hole apparently. Made it to shore only a few days after the rest of the order but no changes to tracking, nor has it shown up. Don't need it to fly but it sure would be awesome to try it with Smack and see how well it works.
Still waiting for the Harrier to arrive. Slow boat for this one I guess?
Your install looks good however, I am glad I ordered the black one so there is a difference!

My BG batteries are tracking their way to the delivery point via USPS. Interesting as they may arrive very soon!
Oct 18, 2019, 08:56 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by notamedclosed

that plane is gonna be great!

UPS delivered my Insta360Go to a different business in our mall! putzes. Luckily the cell phone store owner is an honest guy and brought the package to my clinic.
Oct 21, 2019, 02:10 AM
Slow progress, but the GoPro and FPV camera have a home.

This baby is going to light up like a Christmas tree. 44 pixels so far, but because iNav only supports 32 I'll have the winglet segments cloned from the nose segments. Since that runs 28 addressed I'll probably add 2 or 3 status LEDS somewhere on the body for mode/gps status.

Wiring is still just a nest

Assuming my iNav radar ever shows up I'm still unsure where it will go. 4 antennas (GPS, VTX, RX, Radar) are a lot to fit in.
Oct 21, 2019, 12:32 PM

Foamtini Porpoising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlodoen
No problems with the vertical stabs as between the foam board and packing tape, they are the strongest part of the plane. Maiden flights didn't go well yesterday but through no fault of the airframe. First problem was the motor I picked out of the junk drawer (old 250 quad motor) didn't have enough power to fly on the 2s 18650 pack. I didn't have another 1407 like I had on my 75% FT Goblin so will have to order one as that works well on 2s. It had plenty of power on 3s but then I ran into iNav porpoising problems in all the auto modes as soon as it exited autolaunch. This resulted in a few hard landings on an alfalfa field and a stripped servo which ended the flying session. My flying buddies have Nano Goblins with iNav and had the same porpoising problem and it took a while to figure it out. In their case it was the FC not being level (according to iNav) while in flight (in the pitch axis). The FC thought the nose up about about 5 degrees was level. I'll play around with the iNav settings and see if it's as simple as adjusting the pitch of the sensor by a few degrees. Will try another flight sometime soon I hope as I think this should be a far more efficient plane than my 75% FT Goblin. Thanks again for the great design.
So, we had a great 18C wind free day yesterday so was able to get out with for some more test flights on my modified Foamtini but didn't have much success. I had adjusted the FC's pitch setting by 5 degrees or so but it didn't make any difference and the porpoising was still really bad most of the time. I had one flight where it flew fairly well for four minutes on 3d cruize mode but then it started to porpoise again. It didn't seem to matter what flight mode I was in as it did the same thing on horizon and even a bit on autolaunch. I was thinking it had something to do with an iNav setting somewhere but then discovered the porpoising also happens in manual mode! This means that the FC and iNav is really not the cause of the problem but rather that it's something physical on the plane. The pitch axis oscillations are at about 60hz (should check the iNav blackbox to confirm if it was working) and don't seem to be speed or throttle related. The servo links are pretty tight (as tight as all my other planes), the pushrods are as thick as on my similarly sized planes, and the elevons are Monokote covered balsa so are very stiff. The only thing that I think could be flexing is the wing itself but it seems almost as stiff as my other sub 250g plane - just a bit less because of the KF airfoil.
Any ideas what could be causing this and what I might try to fix it? I could upload a flight video if that would help. When the plane was not porpoising, it flew really well and climbed like crazy so I'm hoping I can figure it out before the end of the flying season here. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
Don't forget to vote
Last edited by nlodoen; Oct 21, 2019 at 12:33 PM. Reason: add title
Oct 21, 2019, 12:49 PM
fly by night
what are your elevon throws for pitch? Anything more than a few mm and you will easily get pilot induced oscillations on these little wings (aka porpoising). OTOH I get some porpoising when flying around stall speed too though, with power low or off, but that is just actual mini-stalling happening.

check the elevon setup here for the nanogoblin around 5:15 . Many many people have made the error of putting in a wee bit more throw and having porpoising as you describe. But the throws only need to be choked down for the pitch axis, generally speaking

How to setup the Nano Goblin (6 min 55 sec)
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Oct 21, 2019 at 12:54 PM.
Oct 21, 2019, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
I'm about halfway through the first module of RPAS-Advanced and I'm scoring anywhere between 80% to 90% on the first go on the quizzes.

So far, so good.

On another note, I think I may have a way to make a DVR for flight recording involving a PCIE card and slim ITX board.
Advanced 2 day RPAS course coming up near(ish) to me next month, think I will sign up.

Has anyone done the final online (advanced) exam yet?
Oct 21, 2019, 10:41 PM

Harrier

Them be a lot of parts!

Will be up late building.
Oct 22, 2019, 02:07 AM
fly by night
found my first RC radio on ebay. Might just buy it for old time sake. fifteen bucks

I remember I paid around $200 for it circa 1982ish, and that was considered a bargain for new lowcost Korean unit dramatically less pricey than a Futaba of the time. Now I get 32 channels multiprotocol radio with UHF amazing programming, and dozens of kms range for .. $200

but the old one has its charm. Maybe it could be modded to run a modern module, I wonder. Or put the guts from a Flysky or Turnigy (or heck an X9D) radio in her, a resto-mod

Quick Reply