Sep 14, 2019, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
oh man you have GOT to try the 18650 extensions on the XLite!! I stuck them on there and will never use the oem ones again. I have been running 3000mah 18650 (LGHG2) and they could easily run 2 watt Crossfire all day. Just sits at 8.2 volts forever. Recharge is weeks apart. and I think I could go to 3500mah cells without issue also. The 18500 are really BAD in comparison. With 18650 cells in the radio and in the goggles and in the plane, 2-3 hour nonstop flight become straight forward. Just so nice not having to recharge everything every time I go flying.

I also prefer the ergonomics of the XLite with the extensions on there too. a little longer handles to fit my largish hands, and a little more weight actually feels better too.

https://www.banggood.com/1-Pair-FrSk...warehouse=GWTR

Ok...you convinced me.

Which bag is that? I've been needing to find a better solution to carry things around.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 02:21 PM
fly by night
it's my like 8 year old Turnigy transmitter semi-harshell pack. I cut out the open pocket on the left and glued in a tool board (from my RealACC backpack) making it much mroe useful, albeit a big ugly. I use some random felt baggies for the RCTx and goggles, but I think the FS case also fits inside it entirely too.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalogs...nsmitter%20bag

I just received one of the RealACC XLite+goggs cases and I don;t like it that much. Not as roomy inside for everything, albeit more secure and thinner. It is easily modified to take the 18650 extensions. https://www.banggood.com/Realacc-X-l...r_warehouse=CN
Sep 14, 2019, 03:01 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
alrighty then, congratz. smash that controlled airspace!
I'm gonna leave it in pieces, and I almost feel like I'm sandbagging it.
Sep 14, 2019, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfpv
We can arrange to meet next week.

Thought you might want to know the new R9MM and R9mini ACCESS compatible receivers appear to be backwards compatible with older firmware and able to be used on a pre-2019, non-Access firmware, R9 module. Was able to flash the last version of the R9 FLEX firmware that was compatible with the older transmitters without ACCESS.

Now the disclaimer... it flashed, bound and was working correctly but I did not fly with it or subject it to any range testing.

Excellent video again! I have spent many hours harvesting and driving all types of farm equipment and it makes me appreciate the video even more.
Good to know on the R9MM. Though I will probably upgrade all the rest of mine to ACCESS when I get the R9M Lite Pro, or whatever I end up doing.
Sep 15, 2019, 08:11 PM
Crashed the Tyro 129 today
One broken arm. A maneuver a little to close to the ground.
Replacements on the way and at less than 7 bucks, I am happy.

Made a new FPV convert as well!
Altitude mode on iNav is great to just hand over the sticks and let them fly on the spare goggles.

Oh and my RCMP contact told me there was reports of a drone sighting by a lady, close to my residence a few weeks ago. I told him it was probably me flying within the rules ( well with one exception ) and asked what response they would have.

His reply was they would ignore it if there was no apparent danger to people or things and it would not be investigated.

Interesting.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:02 AM
Finally seem to have got the Banggood clustertruck figured out. Refunds issued, new orders sent, and everything shows shipped.

Now just the standard 3 weeks of waiting and I'll be ready for some awesome twin motor FPV!

After much reading, videos reviews, etc, etc. I've decided to stick with the 5.8 for video, at least for now. A lot of complaints on the 2.4 side of things indicate that urban environments can be an issue, there is no audio with the FuriousFPV system, a whole new expensive stack of antennas if you actually want the greater range.

While I do want this wing for long range, I'm still going to be flying it like the rest of my FPV gear often just outside the city or in parks and wifi is still going to be very prevalent. I may have 2 or 3 times a year where I actually stretch it's wings and get out past a mile or two.

Instead I'm going to try 3 things to get the range I want (~5 miles or so). 1.2 W 5.8ghz VTX, True RC Sniper antenna (13.5dBi gain ), and a ground station. Possibly including an antenna tracker.

Also, has anyone seen the iNav radar feature? You put these 433 mhz ESP32 modules on two planes with iNav 2.2+ and when it's all configured the planes will report their position and altitude to each other and display it on the OSD. Would make chase plane stuff a whole lot easier, and also cooler .

iNav radar 1.0 (4 min 15 sec)
Sep 16, 2019, 12:07 PM
400' + is where fun starts.
That is a cool feature. Great Music.
Sep 16, 2019, 12:48 PM
fly by night
That's pretty impressive. I never heard of this iNav feature before. Congratz on getting it working like that, demoing it for us.

I might get out and try some waypoint flying today, see how that works. But now I am down to 3 switches on the XLite, lol
Sep 16, 2019, 01:29 PM
Quote:
That's pretty impressive. I never heard of this iNav feature before. Congratz on getting it working like that, demoing it for us.

I might get out and try some waypoint flying today, see how that works. But now I am down to 3 switches on the XLite, lol
Sorry...should have been more clear...not my video. I think this is actually one of the developers. However, I want to try it. I need another pilot also running iNav though...SmackFPV ?

If you've never done this sort of chase plane stuff, finding the guy is half the battle. You end up in this constant call out of position and direction, and it's easy to lose the other pilot too and have to start over. Some cameras are better then others obviously. Like it's almost impossible to chase someone with Turtle or Runcam Split, but I swear the Runcam Racer has some sort of magic that makes other airplanes really pop on the video feed.

This radar system isn't perfect, you can see in this example that as he gets close to the other plane the update of the GPS position lags behind and the system tells him the plane is behind him. Though at this point you can now physically see the other airplane so it's not really needed anymore. If you lost each other this high up with no real landmarks to use it would be very hard to reacquire without this radar.

iNav Radar 1.3 DVR Example (7 min 44 sec)
Sep 16, 2019, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notamedclosed
Sorry...should have been more clear...not my video. I think this is actually one of the developers. However, I want to try it. I need another pilot also running iNav though...SmackFPV ?

If you've never done this sort of chase plane stuff, finding the guy is half the battle. You end up in this constant call out of position and direction, and it's easy to lose the other pilot too and have to start over. Some cameras are better then others obviously. Like it's almost impossible to chase someone with Turtle or Runcam Split, but I swear the Runcam Racer has some sort of magic that makes other airplanes really pop on the video feed.

This radar system isn't perfect, you can see in this example that as he gets close to the other plane the update of the GPS position lags behind and the system tells him the plane is behind him. Though at this point you can now physically see the other airplane so it's not really needed anymore. If you lost each other this high up with no real landmarks to use it would be very hard to reacquire without this radar.
I am in! Where do we get the modules?

BTW if weather cooperates next weekend, wanna do a trip to the west for the day? Little surfing and chase?
Have one more guy experienced in FPV that is interested too.
Sep 16, 2019, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfpv
I am in! Where do we get the modules?

BTW if weather cooperates next weekend, wanna do a trip to the west for the day? Little surfing and chase?
Have one more guy experienced in FPV that is interested too.
I'm 100% down, and schedule looks good...though that can always change with work. Though I'm going to really miss not having my S1100 yet.

You need a ESP32 module like this:
https://www.banggood.com/2Pcs-LILYGO...r_warehouse=CN

Sounds like the included antennas aren't great either. Im going to try some other antennas:

IPEX to SMA
https://www.banggood.com/2PCS-GEPRC-...r_warehouse=CN

ImmersionRC 433 mhz Antenna
https://www.banggood.com/ImmersionRC...r_warehouse=HK

A FC running iNav 2.2 (with GPS and that jazz).

Plus a free UART on the FC.

Further details:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...32-LoRa-modems

You can do 4 planes at once, with additional planes being able to receive only.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:01 PM
fly by night
took out the nG for a test of the iNav Waypoint mission feature.

It is very basic, and it works OK., but very rudimentary. I did not want to bother building a GCS system and hauling it around, so just using the mission planner built into the iNav Configurator. I have an old Android phone to use the special mission planning app but not sure where my OTG cable is and it seemed like extra work and gear to haul around. There does not seem to be any support, how-to or video demo of doing this! First I had to have the plane plugged into USB, power on the main lipo, and placed in a window to get enough satellites. Then I could negotiate the mission planning map, which seemed to take 10 minutes before it loaded the map. Then I clicked to make a circuit of 4 waypoints in my usual flying field. Then I have to save it, and also save it to the EPROM. Once the power is cycled the mission disappears, but you can bring it back from the EPROM in the Configurator or with stick commands at the field.

I did the stick commands once at the field with 18 sats. (left stick down, right stick up to the right). No indicator showed on screen that the mission was loaded, so who knows if it did yet. I then launched the plane and climbed up a bit. Flipped the 'Nav Waypoint' switch I set up and immediately it turned course for the first waypoint. This waypoint happened to be able 15 feet from a big tree, but it turned for the next waypoint with a fraction of a second to spare, lol. and it completed the mission uneventfully at about 60ft agl (as set in the waypoint planner). In Nav Wpt mode, it also puts the aircraft in Alititude hold mode, which controls the speed, throttle and altitude - a bit clumsily but adequate and slow. There is no indication of which waypoint the FC is seeking at any time. After the mission ended I just cycled the Nav Wpt switch and it did the mission all over again. Not bad,

There is not much control over the details of the mission in the planner at all. Not for GPS speed, or for looping the mission, nor even RTH nor autoland, nor auto launch. There are a bunch of parameters you can set in the CLI of iNav however. Too bad they call it 'iNav' with such an extremely basic autonomy support. Hopefully they grow this feature in the future. Perhaps we can save multiple different missions on the home computer? But can only have one mission loaded into the FC RAM at a time and it disappear upon reboot, and one mission in the EPROM which persists.

For me it will suffice for my planned endurance challenge, so I don't have to be under the hood for 3 hours. Just cycle the switch to restart the mission any time. And then maybe I can try chasing the autonomous plane around with a miniquad during the challenge too. I think the speed will have to be increased to account for the extra 100g of the 7000mah pack
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Sep 16, 2019 at 07:51 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 11:26 PM
Or flash Arduplane, launch, hit loiter and wait for battery to run out
Sep 16, 2019, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Implicit
Or flash Arduplane, launch, hit loiter and wait for battery to run out
iNav can do the same thing. Just set it up with a nice wide loiter radius and head in to Starbucks.

https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/w...-Position-hold
Sep 17, 2019, 04:16 AM
fly by night
might be tough for me to find a place to loiter at low altitude. And in a constant turn the efficiency will go down substantially

I don't have the patience to learn yet another flight controller system. I still like how iNav has the same structure as Betaflight and Cleanflight.

Quick Reply