Aug 25, 2019, 11:49 AM

Balsa Quad

Just finished my 'long range' quad with all hand made balsa frame(except X-slots cut on CNC mill).Also CNC machined motor mounts and GPS mast base from 7075 aluminum and 3D printed case for drotek GPS/Compass combo.I wired in such a way that i can switch between Arducopter and Inav just by re-flashing my omnibusF7V2 without touching any wires.Gimbal is feiyu-tech mini-3d-pro with unlimited 360 deg panning.Using gopro video out and a foxeer ccd camera via video switcher.Video link is 1.3ghz.

I felt that Arducopter flies better than Inav.I know one crash and it will be done but balsa really dampens all the vibrations and its light.Its really smooth for making videos.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2019, 12:07 PM
fly by night
that is amazing. such an original approach
Aug 25, 2019, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
yeah iNav can be a little confusing with the trim and tune. My latest nanogoblin was mushy and weird to fly till i played with the auto trim a lot and solved it

but man the auto launch is GREAT for launching wings. No more having to muck with the sticks just focus on the big ole heave.

-

and .... I ordered Crossfire.
This was my own fault. I've never had such issues with autotune before because I have always tuned my PIFF controller first, namely the FF portion which I don't think Autotune affects. This means you'll never be left with such ineffective controls which almost cost me the plane.

Quote:
That was FUN!

the warbird pilots must really appreciate the aerial footage of their birds

a little scary having a pond as part of the flight pattern there though. Do you guys do some seaplane flying off the water too?
There is an old, decommissioned gas plant right beside us (we lease their land). We always joke that if you try and land a foam seaplane on the water it will dissolve before it can taxi to shore. Though I'm sure it's not actually that bad, I've never seen anyone actually intentionally land there.

That pond has given me much anxiety, it's the only thing I don't like about the club. Lost my first 3" quad there, had to rescue another plane off the partially frozen lake. We even have a boat and oars available for club members that have joined the admirals club.
Aug 25, 2019, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11
Just finished my 'long range' quad with all hand made balsa frame(except X-slots cut on CNC mill).Also CNC machined motor mounts and GPS mast base from 7075 aluminum and 3D printed case for drotek GPS/Compass combo.I wired in such a way that i can switch between Arducopter and Inav just by re-flashing my omnibusF7V2 without touching any wires.Gimbal is feiyu-tech mini-3d-pro with unlimited 360 deg panning.Using gopro video out and a foxeer ccd camera via video switcher.Video link is 1.3ghz.

I felt that Arducopter flies better than Inav.I know one crash and it will be done but balsa really dampens all the vibrations and its light.Its really smooth for making videos.
I love DIY quads. You never see them anymore these days.

Why kind of flight times you think you'll get out of this?
Aug 25, 2019, 12:23 PM
All up weight with 2 X 4S 3000mAh batteries is 1550gms and it can hover for approx 20 minutes.

Gimbal+GoPro alone weighs ~250gms��.I wish there were some light weight 3axis gimbals to use with Tarsier.But it's strange that no company has come up with any light weight gimbal similar to the one on Dji Mavic Pro.
Aug 25, 2019, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11
All up weight with 2 X 4S 3000mAh batteries is 1550gms and it can hover for approx 20 minutes.

Gimbal+GoPro alone weighs ~250gms��.I wish there were some light weight 3axis gimbals to use with Tarsier.But it's strange that no company has come up with any light weight gimbal similar to the one on Dji Mavic Pro.
Hmm...I have my first Tarsier, and I'm not super impressed. Yeah it works when you need to compromise, but I wouldn't take it's video over even a GoPro 3+ or Runcam 3. I'm not sure I would even pick it over a Caddx Turtle.

There are 3d printed DIY projects which might get you started with a lighter gimbal.
Aug 25, 2019, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notamedclosed
Hmm...I have my first Tarsier, and I'm not super impressed. Yeah it works when you need to compromise, but I wouldn't take it's video over even a GoPro 3+ or Runcam 3. I'm not sure I would even pick it over a Caddx Turtle.

There are 3d printed DIY projects which might get you started with a lighter gimbal.
Yes I agree about the best video quality of GoPros but tarsier like cameras ,being light,more useful on our fpv applications.

On a side note,the 'video out' image quality of the gopro3 black is unbeatable.So much better than even latest Chinese brand name FPV cameras.
Aug 25, 2019, 01:50 PM
fly by night
i never realized that the live video was good from Hero3B. and I still have a lightly used Hero3 black
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Aug 25, 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Aug 25, 2019, 02:42 PM
Quote:
i never realized that the live video was good from Hero3B. and I still have a lightly used Hero3 black still
Nice..Don't update the firmware on it as I heard that GoPro disabled the live video out with the firmware update.Hero3 black has the better HD video than hero3+ and 4.
Aug 25, 2019, 04:59 PM
I few my FoamTini this morning. Flight went pretty well now that the FF was set per the iNav fixed wing guide.

Little thunk on the goal post because I was getting a little too brave.
Crushed the leading edge in a bit and tore up some of the back foam and control horn off.

Nothing some glue can't fix.
Aug 25, 2019, 06:45 PM
fly by night
congratz on successful build and flight! Another small size option folks should consider
Aug 25, 2019, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notamedclosed
I few my FoamTini this morning. Flight went pretty well now that the FF was set per the iNav fixed wing guide.

Little thunk on the goal post because I was getting a little too brave.
Crushed the leading edge in a bit and tore up some of the back foam and control horn off.

Nothing some glue can't fix.
Nice light weight build!!
Aug 25, 2019, 09:12 PM
Put the plane on a diet. Changed the motor mount and replaced the 3d printed skid that was protecting the ESC/capacitor with some Correx.

Now with my 4S 650mah (previously weighed 259g).

I mean, in my book that qualifies as a Sub 250g wing . If I hadn't had to add a bunch of glue to shore up that damaged left wing I'm sure it would shave off another gram or 2.

This should help with CG too as all the weight lost was at the back of the wing. I think the CG has been too far back which is part of why I was getting pitch oscillations.
Aug 25, 2019, 09:23 PM
fly by night
could maybe save a gram or two going to a tiny Unify. but I mean should we really mind if our plane is 255 vs 248g?
Aug 25, 2019, 09:47 PM
Quote:
could maybe save a gram or two going to a tiny Unify. but I mean should we really mind if our plane is 255 vs 248g?
Yeah...I don't sweat it, there will be no registration number on this plane. I like how it flies on 4S though so I'm glad it's not noticeably over. Decent flight times too, probably hit 10 minutes if you are just cruising. Hoping to try another few flights tomorrow morning if the weather is decent.

Quick Reply