Jun 19, 2019, 08:49 AM
400' + is where fun starts.
You dont need to dial the temp down for keeping food, Just to 10 C is enough. I have one of those cheap electronic wine fridges. Use another for food and beer in the garage.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2019, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y
It will greatly reduce chances of a melt down. I wont fast charge just to keep the heat down.
If anything, it seems that charging at lower temperatures increases the internal resistance. I don't think there's any benefit at all and I can't seem to find any when googling.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...w_temperatures
Jun 19, 2019, 09:35 PM

Rant

Rant 1:
So travel for work a lot and have been taking my 3" quad along with me when I can. It uses a Runcam Split Mini V1 for FPV and recording. Now I've had problems with the Split, though for the most part been able to work around them and get pretty decent usage out of it. Not that I ever fully trust a Split/Turtle/combo camera for a lot of situations like flying over water (unless it happens to be on an iNav build with RTH).

Yesterday I was gone for a day trip and found an awesome park with nice tall trees with good spacing and some trails. A miniquads dream. Proceeded to go fly only to start getting the Split freezing in flight almost immediately. I've experienced this before and the solution was changing to a new SD card. So I swapped to a new card and about a minute later BAM! frozen. The first freeze I got lucky because I was low and relatively slow, this time I was ready for it and wasn't really pushing things. I proceed several more times to reseat the SD card, try a new card, etc all to find it freezing often then less then 1 minute into a flight. I finally gave up and took the SD card and used DVR only. This seemed to work...no more freezing. Last battery I tried one last SD card that I forgot I had brought and low and behold no freezing. Later on at home based on some things I found online I swapped to a U3 rated SD card (Sandisk Extreme) vs the Sandisk Ultra's I had been using. I did several test flights with that and had no issues. Anyway..fool me once, fool me twice, etc, etc. Going to put a standard FPV camera on this machine and use the Split only for recording just like I said last time this happened. Of course...this will push the 3" just past the 250g range with my regular batteries. Plan to fly it like it's sub250 anyway...I have smaller batteries which will drop it below 250g.

Rant 2:
So today I went to a new city and instead of bringing the questionable 3" I thought I would try the 5". I've recently flew with the GoPro 7 Black for the first time on this quad and hypersmooth makes it look like I actually know how to fly. Anyway...checked for controlled airspace...the entire city is under controlled airspace . Only the very outskirts were free so the 5" stayed home. It is impossible to fly legally around a city with a miniquad. I honestly don't know how long I'll actually care. Not like most of us cared after the first Interim Order that TC put out. Under those rules you couldn't fly in controlled airspace either so the only thing that changed June 1 was there is now a process wherein you can get permission, without needing an SFOC first. Enforcement seems very unlikely in my mind, as long as you stay away from the actual airports. To actually get in trouble, and fined, you would need:
A. To have the cops called on you
B. To have a officer who actually knows the full rules and where the airspace actually is
C. An officer who actually wanted the hassle of completing whatever steps it takes to transfer the info to Transport Canada's enforcement rather then telling you to scram

EndOfRant;
Jun 19, 2019, 10:38 PM
fly by night
I know your pain! I had the same experience with one of my Split minis a couple weeks ago on the nanogoblin. Frozen screen, twice, saved by RTH twice which is the first time RTH has been needed to save my aircraft in 8 years of FPV. So I am changing to a Tarsier to have the reliability of analog cam and HD cam in the same lightweight package

but it has me worried for my 2 IH3 HD quads with Split minis in the,. Maybe they will both need Tarsiers too. And also need GPS in them w RTH/coords

And I don't think the FPV community knows how reliable the Tarsier will be just yet. In theory it should be good.

I got to go flying on Sunday at this amazing massive tidal beach, which happens to be in class G airspace and nobody within 200m of us. But .. I had removed the stupid Split mini so all the video I have is from the DVR. Ah well, I had fun and not everything should go on Youtube catching the attention of random busybodies. Unable to fly anything without a home arrow and gps at this spot though - beach gets 1km wide and dozen km long at low tide and I'd never find myself in the huge expanse. So I could not fly the HD quads there.

-

also, got my Smile in the mail on Monday. Oh my I have never felt such a slick, refined ultrananolightweight all-carbon wing like that in my life. But it will take a few weeks to build properly, even though it is just 4 channels, no motor and no FPV. But it's a legit big plane under 250g

-

but weather has shifted here from endless calm and sun, to endless high winds. So I am rebuilding the big Goblin for flying in these 30+ knot gales we're having. And might even register it.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jun 20, 2019 at 11:53 AM.
Jun 20, 2019, 11:39 AM
Dance Fly like nobody is watching!
or
Always fly your quad lower than the highest tree, lamp post or tower and there should never be an issue with interfering with any aircraft, right?

I am currently building another quad with a RunCam split V1. Anyone use one of these? i know they had some issues but locking up was not one of them like the mini. Have had it for awhile but never used it and now it is going into a tight frame I have had sitting here for a bit (RealAcc MIG).
Last edited by smackfpv; Jun 20, 2019 at 11:48 AM.
Jun 20, 2019, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfpv
I am currently building another quad with a RunCam split V1. Anyone use one of these? i know they had some issues but locking up was not one of them like the mini. .
I'd be surprised if it was any different. I've had my share of issues with the V1 as well. I think I've owned every iteration but the Split Mini V2. If anything the Runcam V1 is the worst of the bunch because it had the worst SD card holder. A lot of the Split's problems come stem from a bad connection with SD card, or a bad SD card. Keep in mind that the V1 Split also has no backflow protection diode so if you plug it in to your computer to transfer files it will send 5v to whatever it is connected to which can cause issues. This was a known major problem that they rectified in the V2 board. I had a little switch on mine which could disconnect the +5 line from the Split when I wanted to plug into my computer.

Here's all I got, plus a little bit of testing later that day, from my mostly wasted flights in the park.
Miniquad Tree Inspection (3 min 11 sec)
Jun 20, 2019, 07:21 PM
fly by night
my opinion is that the v2 and the mini v2 must not have seen any real improvment in robustness! It was a new V2 that froze on me darnit

-

strangely the 10 day forecast says no letup in the high winds till well into July. ha. weird and unfair. I remaidened my old repaired DLG and it launches great, but was too gusty to find a good trim, just hang on and hope it didn't digger. Back to quads and the Goblin I guess.
Jun 20, 2019, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
my opinion is that the v2 and the mini v2 must not have seen any real improvment in robustness! It was a new V2 that froze on me darnit

-

strangely the 10 day forecast says no letup in the high winds till well into July. ha. weird and unfair. I remaidened my old repaired DLG and it launches great, but was too gusty to find a good trim, just hang on and hope it didn't digger. Back to quads and the Goblin I guess.
Yes...quads are simply wonderful for wind. My video above was in very high winds. At ground level it was sheltered but as soon as you punch it up you get shoved hard. Makes a power loop or even just predicting where you are going come down to be a bit tricky.

Got my next FPV plane in the works. Will be running the GoPro 7 Black.

Jun 20, 2019, 09:49 PM
fly by night
great choice - esp the GP7
Jun 21, 2019, 01:35 PM
I finally found some time to rip a few packs with my 223g Tick. Beauty day for some sub 250g FPV.
Jun 22, 2019, 10:49 AM
Slowly coming together. The GoPro 7 mount is a little ungainly. I'm not a fan of it poking up so far. TPU case is held on with velcro so I can swap my Hero 3+ in quickly.

My AR Wing was a little better for the actual HD camera. Looked prettier anyway.
Jun 22, 2019, 01:02 PM
Compulsive battery charger
Those decals look sick! Is that vinyl?
Jun 22, 2019, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genix
Those decals look sick! Is that vinyl?
Thanks! yep. My wife has a business making vinyl signs so I steal scraps all the time for making decals for the planes.
Jun 22, 2019, 01:18 PM
Compulsive battery charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by notamedclosed
Thanks! yep. My wife has a business making vinyl signs so I steal scraps all the time for making decals for the planes.
I bought/built a desktop CNC router a few years ago. 90% of what I did on it was cut vinyl...so I sold it and bought a Cricut machine for a fraction of the price.
Jun 23, 2019, 10:24 AM
Had the Mavic out for some pics yesterday. The weather has finally warmed up for more flying.

Quick Reply