Aug 29, 2018, 09:01 PM
fly by night
it has an old RVOSD5 system in it. With air speed sensor on pitot
- MFDLink uhf.
- 2 x 1300mah 4S miniquad lipos
- some basic 600mw 5.8vTx for now.
- stock motor, esc
- Runcam Swift mini

heard so many reports of frustration with launches on maiden., some folks resorting to using a bungee. I just wanted to be sure she launched so I could trim it and get used to launching it, so the strong wind really helps. And actually she flies fairly docile despite the wind, but with low rates.

I am getting more accustomed to iNav though, and might swap it in if I find the right FC for it. I like the F405Wing but it does not take in RSSI from analog source (why oh why)!!

-

I prefer the nanoGoblin for sure. It has a lighter more responsive feel to it, more intuitive to fly imho, and also pretty fast and sky-carving-like imho. The big Goblin feels like an excellent fast cruiser, and ideal for mountain surfing which I don't get a chance to do very often, but it also feels a tad sluggish and a real sense that I'm flying a fairly dangerous missile.

Bottom line: it's a really good thing to have on hand for windy days (and mountain surf, and long range). Our fall stormy season will be here soon enough, and the GOblin has me ready for it
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Aug 29, 2018 at 11:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2018, 10:51 PM
fly by night
whoah. this R9 Lite module is TINY

dwarfed by my other regular JR modules. It's about like a Bic lighter, maybe just a bit larger than the Bic. so small I will just keep it stored on the radio and hardly know it is there. But much nicer to put in carry-on luggage than my X9D with UHF box on the back!

But the polarization is all wrong. When I hold it at normal radio position, the null is aimed at the plane. I think it will be best with a moxon antenna. might build my own moxon. and for now I will just put on a 90 or 45 RPSMA adaptor

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Aug 29, 2018 at 11:00 PM.
Aug 30, 2018, 01:36 AM
fly by night
anyone ever add a cell to a lipo pack before?

I am awash in big 3S lipo. but most larger aircraft need 4S or more. Goblin needs 4S, so I am using 2x 4s miniquad lipos, albeit not as much capacity to take this bird long. Can get soome Pulse 3700mah4S for like $70 plus shipping. ouch. I have a pair of old 3500mah 3S lipo I could just remove a cell from to add to the other pack to make 1 4S pack. I don't plan to fly this plane all that often

But I've never pulled apart a lipo pack, and everything being so soft and volatile turns me off.

I'd feel better making a 4s2p pack with 8 18650 cells. heck I am halfway there with one 4S1p pack I made. albeit then I run into the li-ion amperage limit, of about 20-40 amps max. Would have to fly it on lower half of the throttle

IIRC I recall Charles or Martin were pulling apart lipo packs to use the cells.??
Aug 30, 2018, 07:59 AM
400' + is where fun starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
got real windy today here. thank goodness for that

https://youtu.be/yx5Ou-vfb9g
Holy Cr@p on a cracker BC. If I had all the rc stuff in my house the wife would leave me..........................???????

Thanks for the idea.
Aug 30, 2018, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
Holy Cr@p on a cracker BC. If I had all the rc stuff in my house the wife would leave me..........................???????

Thanks for the idea.
All my stuff blends together, hard to tell what is what. Nice to see your Goblin flying BC. I have my bats charged and hope to get my Goblin out tonight.
Aug 30, 2018, 01:58 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post

Thanks for the idea.
yeah I need to sell some off I think. I've even given away a few over the years just to make room

strangely the UMX planes servos go bad just sitting there for years. bummer.
Aug 30, 2018, 05:10 PM
fly by night
made myself a Moxon for the R9M lite on 900

but I am not confident how accurately I made it, also ordered a Truemox from Hugo. I was only able to find 1/16" (1.5mm) copper welding wire, but others make this antenna with 0.8mm wire. The wire diameter makes it trickier to measure at the bends I found.

semi-rigid coax, 1/16" copper wire, RPSMA connector, Coroplast sheet

this is the site with DIY dimension calculation. I used 915MHz, not 900 as shown

hot glued into the coroplast channels

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Aug 30, 2018 at 05:19 PM.
Aug 30, 2018, 11:14 PM
What does this button do?
Nice work on the DIY.
I got my 2.4 moxon from Prodrone.
Aug 31, 2018, 02:39 PM
I had the Strix Goblin out last night for the second flight. I had one flight last fall before the weather grounded me. I tried to upload the original file from the FS DVR but it counld not process it. I tried twice and the same thing. Funny how my ZIII goggle video file uploaded and processed but not this next file. I had to process it to an MP4 output. The original files are way better then the processed file. The Goblin likes to fly fast but is able to slow down too. I was getting some ESC noise in the video. I've added a LC filter on my 5v bec. Will test tonight.

Strix Goblin Ground Station Video (9 min 40 sec)
Aug 31, 2018, 03:19 PM
fly by night
esc noise - actually your link quality looks very good to me. nice flight!

yeah is can slow down a bit, but the stall speed is high and it is a real floater. A bit unusual in how it doesn't want to slow down or come down to land, but that also means it likes to cruise swiftly at low amps.
Aug 31, 2018, 06:38 PM
I have been looking at the Matek 405 Wing for a plane and was wondering if anyone has experience with these types of flight control/osd things with ezuhf as far as rssi communication. I use ezuhf on all my planes but have an ezosd on one and vectors on the rest. I beleive it is a digital signal and it doesn’t work with very many osds. Thanks.
Aug 31, 2018, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post
I have been looking at the Matek 405 Wing for a plane and was wondering if anyone has experience with these types of flight control/osd things with ezuhf as far as rssi communication. I use ezuhf on all my planes but have an ezosd on one and vectors on the rest. I beleive it is a digital signal and it doesn’t work with very many osds. Thanks.
If ezuhf can inject RSSI into a channel, then it's very easy to setup RSSI. You cannot use ezosd of the vector osd.
Aug 31, 2018, 08:44 PM
fly by night
good god now he's gone 20km out and back with the nanogoblin

i knew that Furious 2.4 system would be a game changer.

🛩️ Strix Nano Goblin - FuriousFPV Stealth 2.4ghz VTX (7 min 35 sec)
Aug 31, 2018, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Implicit View Post
If ezuhf can inject RSSI into a channel, then it's very easy to setup RSSI. You cannot use ezosd of the vector osd.
Thanks for the reply Implicit . I do have 3 vectors that I have the link quality and rssi with my ezuhf and just one with the ezosd osd display but I know that it won’t give rssi to a Cyclops Storm for example. The Cyclops will work with a D to A coverter but I thought I saw somewhere that the Matek will take digital rssi but I’m not sure. I’m trying to talk myself out of getting a glider but I’m losing the argument. To me, rssi has always been a priority.
Last edited by Kreskin; Sep 01, 2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: whoops
Aug 31, 2018, 09:59 PM
fly by night
might be time to start looking into Crossfire or Frsky R9M Kreskin. The EZUHF RSSi might be getting orphaned, but now even analog RSSi getting orphaned by some boards, as the 900mhz systems are sweeping over us. Has me kind of regretting buying the MFDLink uhf (with analog RSSI) I just bought, when Crossfire/R9M can do pretty much all I need and more. And iNav makes for such an elegant OSD/autopilot for under $100, heck even under $50
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Aug 31, 2018 at 10:19 PM.

Quick Reply