Thread Tools
May 15, 2018, 06:10 PM
Registered User
smackfpv's Avatar
Hahaha

Consumer, ever since you changed your icon picture thing I keep getting us confused!

The pictures are so similar. Same amount of ground and sky and standing in the same position.

Not an issue in any way just an observation. Kind of interesting though!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2018, 10:25 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfpv
Hahaha

Consumer, ever since you changed your icon picture thing I keep getting us confused!

The pictures are so similar. Same amount of ground and sky and standing in the same position.

Not an issue in any way just an observation. Kind of interesting though!
Yup, I noticed the same thing. The way I tell the difference immediately is you have a wing. I'm flying a tiny Litehawk Aero at Presqu'ile provincial park. I'm flying out over Lake Ontario. My wife snapped that one, and if the plane was a bit bigger, it would be a ringer for a cover to the old RC Modeler magazine...speaking of which I have piles of them. They start over $4 each on ebay. I need to get off my duff and sell some!

Making progress on finding homes for all those planes. Contacted a local club, and have a guy coming on Thursday for a bunch of stuff, mostly gliders. Also have my AS3X and Stuntmaster sold for $40 and $50 respectively. Considering I paid $189 and about $240, I think he's getting a deal.
May 15, 2018, 11:18 PM
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
four bucks for an RCM mag? whodthunk
May 15, 2018, 11:24 PM
Wait...what?
gbmarsh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumer61
Yup, I noticed the same thing. The way I tell the difference immediately is you have a wing. I'm flying a tiny Litehawk Aero at Presqu'ile provincial park. I'm flying out over Lake Ontario. My wife snapped that one, and if the plane was a bit bigger, it would be a ringer for a cover to the old RC Modeler magazine...speaking of which I have piles of them. They start over $4 each on ebay. I need to get off my duff and sell some!

Making progress on finding homes for all those planes. Contacted a local club, and have a guy coming on Thursday for a bunch of stuff, mostly gliders. Also have my AS3X and Stuntmaster sold for $40 and $50 respectively. Considering I paid $189 and about $240, I think he's getting a deal.
Presqu'ile ?? My old stomping ground Grew up in Trenton and went to school in Brighton, have 2 sisters that still live there 1 in each town.
Small world eh?

Cheers,
Geoff
May 16, 2018, 01:26 AM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh
Presqu'ile ?? My old stomping ground Grew up in Trenton and went to school in Brighton, have 2 sisters that still live there 1 in each town.
Small world eh?

Cheers,
Geoff
Wow, yes it certainly can be a small world! Several of my family was Air Force, and the wife's Dad was Black Watch. In fact in the air museum is a showcase full of donations from my family, uniforms, medals, photos...along with some memorial plaques outside.

We really like Brighton as a town. They have put in some new communities that are really nice bungalow houses, not the friggin monstrosities they are building in most places now. We actually thought of moving there for retirement but the wife wants to stay near her family. Instead we pull the RV for 4 hours down the 401 a couple of times a summer. Its a terrible fight to get any camping spots in Presqu'ile.

As you know, its very unique in climate - just about Trenton/Belleville is where the climate changes from the "Ottawa Valley" climate, to the much milder Toronto climate. Depending in the weather, especially in winter, you can notice the change within a few miles. I've never seen it anywhere else before being so noticable. We used to go to the Toronto Boat show every year, and often the temp would drop 10c from Brighton to Napanee on the way home.

AND there is an R/C field just outside town maybe 2 miles. I've only ever seen glow to my surprise. It is just near the Speedway.
https://brightonrchawks.com/
Last edited by consumer61; May 16, 2018 at 01:32 AM.
May 16, 2018, 01:36 AM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
four bucks for an RCM mag? whodthunk
Last time I looked, some were up to around $20.

Old Penthouse much the same. Got a box of those from the late 70's early 80's in the basement.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...LH_TitleDesc=0

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...house+magazine

I recognise this cover - I know I have this one. Not bad - US $19 .https://www.ebay.com/itm/PENTHOUSE-A...IAAOSwdPtaqTfh
Last edited by consumer61; May 16, 2018 at 01:42 AM.
May 16, 2018, 04:43 PM
Registered User
Here is a pic from the past. Remember when you had to build a plane from a kit or plans? This my Carl Goldberg Extra300 done in "Raven" colours, using ultracoat. Had this plane for 13 years before I sold it, only deadsticked once in 13 years. I had an ASP 1.08 (OS 1.08 clone) in it but the stock ASP carb is no good, couldn't get a reliable run on the ground. I bought the OS 7D carb for the OS 1.08. It fit like a glove and ran perfect. A way better designed carb made all the difference. The engine had very high compression and later units came with a few more head gaskets to lower the compression. Mine ran great with high compression and the 7D carb. Miss the smell of glow fuel exhaust.
May 16, 2018, 08:04 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint
Here is a pic from the past. Remember when you had to build a plane from a kit or plans? This my Carl Goldberg Extra300 done in "Raven" colours, using ultracoat. Had this plane for 13 years before I sold it, only deadsticked once in 13 years. I had an ASP 1.08 (OS 1.08 clone) in it but the stock ASP carb is no good, couldn't get a reliable run on the ground. I bought the OS 7D carb for the OS 1.08. It fit like a glove and ran perfect. A way better designed carb made all the difference. The engine had very high compression and later units came with a few more head gaskets to lower the compression. Mine ran great with high compression and the 7D carb. Miss the smell of glow fuel exhaust.
Nice. Bet it flew like stink too.

I had one ASP when they first came out - a .45 in the Sig Kougar I'm trying to sell. Ran perfect until 1 single short run where I didn't have it drowning rich, and it never ran exactly as well again. Still have it in fact, in the box.

I'm sorry to all you foam lovers, but I still really like a balsa plane like that buffy. Until 4 years ago, I'd never had anything that wasn't plans, scratch, or kit built balsa.
May 17, 2018, 10:59 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumer61
Nice. Bet it flew like stink too.

I had one ASP when they first came out - a .45 in the Sig Kougar I'm trying to sell. Ran perfect until 1 single short run where I didn't have it drowning rich, and it never ran exactly as well again. Still have it in fact, in the box.

I'm sorry to all you foam lovers, but I still really like a balsa plane like that buffy. Until 4 years ago, I'd never had anything that wasn't plans, scratch, or kit built balsa.
Arf's are OK but something about taking a box of balsa/plywood and making a beautiful plane. A little more pride in it because you made it. Here are a few more of my LOS planes.
May 17, 2018, 11:27 AM
Registered User
My fifteen minutes of fame has come and gone. It was December 93 cover. MAAC sent me 10 extra copies for friends and family.
May 17, 2018, 12:32 PM
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
wow your love of flying runs deep Buffy!

impressive

I was only into glow planes for a couple years in the early 80s. but I was a kid of about 14 then. built a Goldberg Eagle63 (Enya .61), and another Goldberg trainer. The RC field was 10km away, had to load them into a bicycle trailer to get to the field! We had a break-in to our home and the only thing they took was my Eagle63 and radio Oh I had Metrick glider with a hi-start too. actually flew the glider more often as I could fly it near town, much closer. but with hi start my longest flight was maybe 1 minute

didn't fly RC again until about 2011 after seeing an FPV video on youtube for the first time. Honestly the balsa/covering planes are prettier but the foam is a lot more fun.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; May 17, 2018 at 02:32 PM.
May 17, 2018, 08:23 PM
Registered User
Birdman4498's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumer61
Wow, yes it certainly can be a small world! Several of my family was Air Force, and the wife's Dad was Black Watch. In fact in the air museum is a showcase full of donations from my family, uniforms, medals, photos...along with some memorial plaques outside.

We really like Brighton as a town. They have put in some new communities that are really nice bungalow houses, not the friggin monstrosities they are building in most places now. We actually thought of moving there for retirement but the wife wants to stay near her family. Instead we pull the RV for 4 hours down the 401 a couple of times a summer. Its a terrible fight to get any camping spots in Presqu'ile.

As you know, its very unique in climate - just about Trenton/Belleville is where the climate changes from the "Ottawa Valley" climate, to the much milder Toronto climate. Depending in the weather, especially in winter, you can notice the change within a few miles. I've never seen it anywhere else before being so noticable. We used to go to the Toronto Boat show every year, and often the temp would drop 10c from Brighton to Napanee on the way home.

AND there is an R/C field just outside town maybe 2 miles. I've only ever seen glow to my surprise. It is just near the Speedway.
https://brightonrchawks.com/
My wife and I took a drive through there last year. We went into Brighton on the Bay liked what we saw and bought a new build. We take possession Apr.2019 right before I retire and can't wait to get there. Looking forward to having the RC field so close and they have a permanent quad track. I had a chance to get out this past weekend and try two new ones I had bought, the Emax Baby Hawk R 3" and the Zohd Swept forward wing Dart. I was impressed and like both the Baby Hawk is right out of the box and flies great. Unfortunately the Dart is 248g with gear but without battery but I like it and it held up really well. It was pretty windy on the day and the sock was almost straight out at times but they both handled it

maiden Baby Hawk R and Zohd Dart (5 min 26 sec)
May 17, 2018, 11:45 PM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint
Arf's are OK but something about taking a box of balsa/plywood and making a beautiful plane. A little more pride in it because you made it. Here are a few more of my LOS planes.
Those are frigging BEAUTIFUL~! And you got your 15 seconds of fame too!

Yes exactly. I really wish I had a photo of my Super Sportster 60 with and Enya 80 4 stroke. I spent almost 100 hours on the covering. Did a tapered angles on the top of the wing, and same colours but horizontal on the bottom of the wing. Red, Yellow, Blue, White. Still sad I sold it.

I was surrounded by people that only scratch/plans built, and this was the day you didn't dare show up with anything pre made at a field, and sure as shoot nothing made of foam board. Personally, I never looked down my nose at those that bought and flew the foam ore ARF stuff, but at the same time, I just find the uniqueness, character, and pride of scratch or plans/kit built has a special quality. There is just something about actually making it yourself.

In fact I'm going to make a following post in regards to converting to electric - I need help with a plane.

Got rid off almost all the stuff I inherited today, as well as my own AS3x ($40), and my Stuntmaster ($50).

Attached photos of some of what I have left. The Southern Gentleman my Dad built in 1968-9. Still pristine condition. That Saphir is still the one I really want to sell. Especially since it fits back in its box and can be shipped. Holy crap has that engine got compression.
Last edited by consumer61; May 18, 2018 at 12:57 AM.
May 18, 2018, 12:18 AM
Retired young, in R/C since 68
consumer61's Avatar
Ok hoping somebody can provide some ideas.

I have a plane I designed myself with .25 glow. I also have that pylon racer a Bokkie MkII that is a bit like a small Spitfire that is also .25 glow. I would like to convert both to electric, and would prefer to stay 3s.

The first one is cub like but hat the moments and mathematics of a FAI pattern plane, with a scaled down airfoil from my Super Sportster 60. For it, I want POWER. I want to be able to power out of anything, and straight up if possible.

For the pylon racer, it is already so fast it will flutter the elevator in a dive. So comparable power to the OS25 SF is more than fine.

I'm told there are websites that let you calculate exactly what you need so don't know if any of you are familiar with anything like that?
Photo attached.


Second item - since I sold my Stuntmaster and AS3X, I would like to get another bind and fly for my Spek dx6i. I wasn't happy with either of those planes, and they were pretty much the first electric I bought. I know some of you know the BNF fleet quite well, so I'm going to post a list of what I'm looking for, and maybe somebody can give me some suggestions please?

max 3s
reasonably wind tolerant (always windy here, and I find foam so light) I have a Champ S+, but needs very calm - want something a little more wind tolerant
reasonably aerobatic
could handle the weight of fpv gear if I ever decided to
can at least try and take off from my grass field, or can at least land properly on grass.
ISN'T one of those wild rockets that you can't dare slow down
has enough power to weight ratio to get out of trouble
kind of bored with a traditional "cub" style

I think there are Park Zone, UMX, and Hobby Zone stuff that can BNF with Spek as far as I know?

Holy crap, that is a lot of planes to look at. Great Hobbies website not great for finding them. I know there was and Sbach a year of so ago that was a rocket, but seems like no longer listed.

Maybe that Pitts -
Or this Sukoi - http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...8850&hf_type=C
Last edited by consumer61; May 18, 2018 at 12:38 AM.
May 18, 2018, 10:19 AM
fly by night
BCSaltchucker's Avatar
I think you ought to be looking into the Precision Aerobatics products. They tick a lot of boxes that almost no one else ticks.
- immaculate engineering. like none I have seen. just beautiful. IMHO impossible to achieve by 99.99% of scratch builders, this is another level. balsa-ply-carbon-fibre and covering .. giving you... 'fibrefusion' and thus ...
- ... very light wing loading! = Wiiiiiide flight envelope
- they make flying an aerobatic machine much easier than with foamies or glow power. Foamies are OK, but still signif higher wing loading
- these are what I call state of the art planes, worth the high price they command.
- most of the experienced pilots I fly with end up with PA planes. and ocne they had have one PA plane, they buy several more. my friends tend to buy larger ones as years go by
- the best PA choices are: the Addiction, the Katana, the ElectricShock. in any size they offer. The PA biplane is not as highly rated as the extra wing adds weight
- I think Great Hobbies stocks them sometimes.
- I had a Katana MD, and put FPV on it. would like to get another some day now that FPV components are so much smaller and lighter now. I have since put that fpv system on a Dynam SU26 and it pales in comparison, not much fun to fly imho
- engineered to exploit the beauty of electric power. very forgiving to newer pilots
- the motor support area in the nose should be fiberglassed though. common mod done on these planes.
- they are so light and complex construction that they can be a bit fragile and complicated to repair

forget the 'bind n fly' idea. Just buy some Orange or Lemon receivers to bind. You've built planes from kits, this is childs play!

what is an 'AS3X'?? From what I know AS3X is not a plane, it is a stabilization system, and it comes on many many models of planes, all from Horizon Hobby, from UMX to larger planes. I have it in several UMX planes

PA Spotlight: Katana MX (4 min 8 sec)


my own Katana video

Katana MD FPV (3 min 28 sec)
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; May 18, 2018 at 11:17 AM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Canadian-ized ....eh micro_doc Foamies (Kits) 5 Jul 03, 2015 05:10 PM
For Sale Skylark EH-1 old n5ktt Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Mar 24, 2012 05:49 PM
Discussion Eh, eh, eh. 5KW 123 pack dusty IV Batteries and Chargers 6 Dec 31, 2008 06:58 PM
Eh any other Canadian Micro Heli's out there? HBirdV.2 Micro Helis 13 Jul 27, 2004 11:38 PM
What does EH stand for in this pack? [N-600AA (EH)] Skysaurus Electric Plane Talk 1 Nov 27, 2001 10:41 AM