The Canadian thread eh? - Page 2012 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 17, 2017, 10:35 PM
fly by night
for this quad I really feel 3D printing special parts to be overkill. Just use packing tape. It's more capable than a 'toy quad' but it is not really a 5 inch killer.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2017, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfpv
Buffy,

Looks great now get it out and fly It! I wanna see video.
Thanks. Rained all day yesterday. That's why I was able to finish. High winds today with possible rain. I'll get a good evening soon and get the maiden in, fingers crossed.
Jun 19, 2017, 09:01 AM
400' ..... NOT
Buffy, What you be doing the long weekend? I be up your way then.
Latest blog entry: 1280mhz vs 1090mhz
Jun 19, 2017, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y
Buffy, What you be doing the long weekend? I be up your way then.
Chilln', that's all.
Jun 19, 2017, 10:51 PM
Rule #1 is to search b4 asking
It was Xmas again today.

Picked up my blue Babyhawk from the US. Got to wait for my receivers to arrive from Banggood now. Nicely packaged, and now I see why people are stripping the motor mount screws - small! Looks cool in see through blue. Have to wire a beeper and find an OSD for it, unless I can get vbat from the XM+ whenever it finally arrives, (still prefer it on screen) but wiring an minimosd seems like a wiring nightmare on this little thing.

Lizard arrived. I don't know what bozo assembled it but they bent the cloverleaf VTX antenna out of plane, and all 3 lobes directly touching the carbon edges. Many people are switching this over to dipole on the Lizard, but its a mod people have been having challenges with as the solder points are closer together than usual.

I've never installed a dipole, nor do I have any. I'm guessing this is what I order?
I assume you strip off the connector, and solder the ground weave to one pad, and the centre coax to the other. Unfortunately no youtube videos of making the mod on a Lizard so I'll find a generic video.
https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-X73...l?rmmds=search
Last edited by consumer61; Jun 20, 2017 at 12:10 AM.
Jun 20, 2017, 12:14 PM
Last edited by smackfpv; Jun 20, 2017 at 02:25 PM.
Jun 20, 2017, 01:22 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Warning non topic post

Hey all ! Been a while since I logged in. Changed job in the last month and now need to commute about 7 km in town with some hills. Looking for a DIY cheapo ebike conversion, and I know there are some fans of ebike here, so asking a few questions if you let me:

1- Should I go front or rear wheel drive ?

2- I will be converting an old mountain bike with no suspension and I am, as Shad would say, pretty well beeing as far as weight goes so should I consider less than 1000 watts ?

3- Should I use lead acid batteries or can I use our Lipo stuff ? or should I invest in a good quality Li-Ion pack ?

I want this to be as cheap as possible but still have the kit and batteries last a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks guys
Jun 20, 2017, 01:58 PM
fly by night
I would 100% say go mid-drive if possible. All the top ebikes today are now mid-drive, for many reasons.

I just changed to the BBS02 mid drive system by Bafang. It has nominal 750W, but maxes at 1200W. I use 0-500Watt most of the time. The real advantage of mid-drive is the ability to use your bike's gearing to maximize the torque and efficiency of the ebike system. I had a Front wheel ebike system for 10 years and barely used it because I disliked it, and it could not handle hills well at all. Wheel drive motor would overtax the battery causing system shut down on steep hills - not with mid drive which keeps the motor revving in ideal range for less amps.

BBS02 is also very advanced, silent system, compact install, super easy DIY plg and play with waterproof colour coded connections. very professional kit imho. Vastly improved over the older kits from china. You just might need some std bicycle tools to install the bottom bracket, but that is all. I installed mine in an hour or so. I first installed it on my mtn bike, but moved it to my gravel-road bike which I much prefer.

The more convenient deal is from Biktrix in Saskatchewan, you get everything shipped very quickly. Otherwise getting a lithium battery from china took me over 3 months last year. https://www.biktrix.com/products/baf...nt=39166560454 Their complete kit WITH 11AH lipo costs about $1300 cdn including a 48V battery I don;t think the more powerful BBSHD is necessary at all, but it's there if you're looking to geek it out to 70kph or something. My BBS02 will do 50kph in top gear (but going that fast eats up battery) Put that kit on a $1000 bicycle and you have the equivalent of a $4500 ebike for the cost of $2300 - seriously (and you will have more speed and power than the $4500 bike!)

I just did a fast ride with some cycling enthusiasts yesterday. 1500 feet of climbing over 30km. I used less than half the battery and I am 6 4 and over 250lbs. I dropped the racing-calibre cyclist on the biggest hills. I love this bike!

I bought my BBS02 kit from Elifebike (irun4fun recommended to me) for about $600 shipped. The 48V battery I bought last year for about $400 shipped.

-

the other alternative is to simply order up a very basic rear wheel ebike kit from china for $400, and a lipo for $400. Just worries me the delays from china esp shipping the battery. Or buy a complete bike like this one from Biktrix which has a BBs02 on it already, and free shipping https://www.biktrix.com/collections/...rix-monte-1000
BTWI sold my front wheel kit for $75 (no battery) fwiw. It was 10 years old and worked exactly the way it did when new. I did blow a controller on it once ($40 item)

8Fun BBS02 Video Review - 750 Watt Mid-Drive Electric Bike Kit (11 min 4 sec)
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jun 20, 2017 at 03:19 PM.
Jun 20, 2017, 03:48 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
I didn't know there was mid drives. Just starting the reading on this. I don't want to spend so much as 1k $ on this, although if I had the money I would probably go that route for better quality components.

I checked your links, interesting. Sounds like ebikes are advancing pretty fast in technology.
Jun 20, 2017, 05:51 PM
Closed Account
Last edited by Oxford Circus; Jul 24, 2017 at 10:03 AM.
Jun 20, 2017, 06:05 PM
Rule #1 is to search b4 asking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford Circus
Got my Hall Effect Gimbals and more today - barely! 2 weeks, free delivery, no signature, no tax etc

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/ap...=en&LOCALE2=en

CP showed it "delivered" immedately upon "out for delivery". Never was delivered at about my usual noon postal delivery.

4 hours later a neighbor 1/2 block away shows up at my door with my black baggie that he found in his flower garden. Okay, benefit of the doubt it fell out of the postie's bag. I doubt. A week ago another of my regular China deliveries is delivered into the mail box 2 houses down the street. Kind neighbor shows up at supper time with the Hobby King brown box. Up to now I have have good things to say about CP. No more and it is all because of the local A-Hole postal worker. The "last mile" is CP's downfall.
You don't want to know his starting salary either. When I was a kid my friend's father was a Letter Carrier, and made less than a garbage man. They were among the lowest paid employees anywhere. Ever since the mid 80's that isn't the case anymore. Plus they got the job security I didn't have as Mgmt or I'd still have a job.

I've lost 26 orders from China since January. Even after shipping a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd time, there are still 4 orders I don't have, plus 5 outstanding shipments from Banggood that are on a boat somewhere...

You did well - 11 days total to being in your hands. I have outstanding stuff going back to January.
Jun 20, 2017, 06:35 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
I didn't know there was mid drives. Just starting the reading on this. I don't want to spend so much as 1k $ on this, although if I had the money I would probably go that route for better quality components.

I checked your links, interesting. Sounds like ebikes are advancing pretty fast in technology.
OK, there are low cost options. Like buying a simple wheel kit, then buying some SLA batteries locally (sealed lead acid, from local battery store, typically $30-50 a piece, you will need 3 or 4 in series) typical low cost rear wheel kit: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/48V1000W26-Fr...vHKAotEsvGQiog Might be able to get going for $500-600 + your choice of bike. The motor will likely work great, but the wiring will be messy, and lead acid technology not very satisfying for practical use. I'd advise against going to Lipo batteries unless you know what you're doing and can deal with the hassle of all that balance charging and messy of series/parallel wiring (and they are dangerous) - the pre-made ebike Li-ion batteries include very reliable BatteryMaintenanceSystem which keeps all the cells charged evenly and monitored for imbalance.

Note the cheap kits runon hand-throttle-only. While the better ones and all mid-drives have 'pedelec' it detects your pedal cadence and turns on the motor (plus the mid drive kits have hand throttle as well). I prefer pedelec and decided not to even install the hand throttle at all now. The hand throttle is too tempting to get into the E power and lazy on the pedalling, reducing range. Harder to balance pedal power and E power without pedelec sensor.

sucks how overpriced ebikes and ebike kits are still. I bought my wife a new piaggio gas scooter for $1500 a couple years ago, but a decent ebike costs 4000 - 9000 and goes half as fast - albeit ebike is simple and no insurance
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jun 20, 2017 at 06:53 PM.
Jun 20, 2017, 06:44 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
GOtcha on the Li-Iom batteries. I think they are the best choice too as far as I know. Will go cheap rod, don't care aboit messy it is for an old bike and for the fun pf it. But I think the links you provided for a 1200-1500$ kit is a very good option if I have the money.
Jun 20, 2017, 10:49 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
All this talk about power systems had me digging around again for potential power sources. I was all about lipos for ebikes, but then a thought hit me... "what about supercapacitors?"

So I go and look and they're now up to 3.0v and 3kF. Might be a good alternative, considering capacitors have no problem discharging as much as you can take, while lipos puff if they're overworked.
Jun 20, 2017, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker

I just did a fast ride with some cycling enthusiasts yesterday. 1500 feet of climbing over 30km. I used less than half the battery and I am 6 4 and over 250lbs. I dropped the racing-calibre cyclist on the biggest hills. I love this bike!
Isn't that missing the point? A fast ride is supposed to challenge you, not the the bike...and while top cyclist can exceed 1600watt peak power, a top TdF contender will average about 400watt on a steep climb, so no wonder you 'dropped' a racing calibre cyclist with your 750watt bike.