Mar 20, 2017, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard4Hire
Wait a minute! Those kids can't fly because they are too fat? Isn't that body shaming?

Lard4Hire
HeHe
I must admit that my only reason to go out was to FPV. But it looks like these new "regs" have effectively made it illegal for me to fly in my nearby park. Guess there's always flight sims for now.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2017, 10:45 PM
Retired young. In R/C since 68
It is still incredible to me that people like him aren't suspended or banned here. I've said this privately to BC before - the rudeness of people here can be incredible. Not sure why more people don't report the posts of the disrespectful ones?

I suspect I'm one of the oldest MAAC members here, or close to it. I've seen his kind before, and to be honest, with rare exception I thought that we had managed to get rid of most of those. To find somebody like that being a club president appalls me. This guy should be PROMOTING all forms of aviation. On behalf of "older" MAAC members that aren't so damn bigoted, I really apologize that some of you still have to deal with this mentality at clubs, and can certainly see why nobody would want any part of it.

Unfortunately, in my experience, you can't convert those people that have set in stone opinions - for example hating foamies. And unfortunately, its often older people. BUT it is completely wrong to literally stop somebody from flying one at a club field. Somebody at MAAC needs to get their head out of the sand and ENFORCE fairness. Here's a good one - since the clubs can't seem to FAIRLY police themselves, MAAC Head Office needs to put in regulations to force them to!

@Crash - email sucks for "tone" so I'm trying to be really careful with my words here - NOT picking any argument with you, but one of your posts above referred to old retired guys and scratch building in kind of a negative way, and along with wives dragged to the field. Those were kind of broad generalizations. I started scratch building I was 6, and I'm 56 and retired now, so I fit in your pigeon hole, but I'm nothing like these kinds of guys - not everybody is...please don't throw us all into that hole. If it flies, or floats, I'm good with whatever you like.

Also, my wife loves to sit out under our shade canopy and read a book and watch me fly - and always has.
In fact here's a photo my wife took one night when we were camping on Lake Ontario. Still think it would be a good magazine cover.

In fact I'll have to weigh that Litehawk Aero and see if I can still fly it at the campgrounds. Certainly can't fly the Nighthawk 280 that BCSALT built for me! (shameless plug )
Last edited by consumer61; Mar 20, 2017 at 11:00 PM.
Mar 20, 2017, 10:53 PM
Hey the vetter guy posted this in the other thread. Quite alarming indeed. Look at the penalty!

The VA General Assembly passed a law that says that if you catch a drone trespassing on your private property, the unmanned aircraft's operator will now face a class one misdemeanor charge.

The bill is HB-2350 and was passed in both the VA House and Senate with only one dissenting vote.

Drones used by law enforcement are exempt.

"For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $ 2,500, either or both."
Mar 20, 2017, 11:25 PM
fly by night
virginia local thing. also overstepping its bounds. states can't override FAA authority on this. US states are notorious for passing unconstitutional silliness like this. And Congress has put a strict ban on the FAA's ability to pass any new regulations. Currently the FAA rec drone registration is being challenged by some FPVer and a good lawyer, excercising Congress' ban on new regulations.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Mar 20, 2017 at 11:54 PM.
Mar 20, 2017, 11:55 PM
Professional amature
"1 (1) The following definitions apply in this Interim Order.

model aircraft means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures. (modèle réduit d’aéronef)"

Currently building a model aircraft to carry live ants...
Mar 20, 2017, 11:57 PM
fly by night
actually live ants ... LOL awesome. gonna be some terrified ants.

anyone got leads on good 3 inch frames?

I think this Stinger Bee looks promising. holds a hs1177. but outta stock. One guy has it running on 4S at 260g. getting close.
https://newbeedrone.com/products/the...nt=20025128646

this one I think is too heavy
https://oscarliang.com/hibernagen-me...ni-quad-frame/
Mar 21, 2017, 12:21 AM
Professional amature
Sooooooo, if it is DESIGNED for "other living creatures" can we fly it? Earth worms would be more passive than ants...

Am I reading the interim order correctly in that I can no longer go and fly a foamie that weighs 251g if I am within 9km of an aerodrome blah blah?

Guess I will have to take up building pcv potato launchers to use in my urban surroundings.... BOOOM!!
Mar 21, 2017, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
virginia local thing. also overstepping its bounds. states can't override FAA authority on this. US states are notorious for passing unconstitutional silliness like this. And Congress has put a strict ban on the FAA's ability to pass any new regulations. Currently the FAA rec drone registration is being challenged by some FPVer and a good lawyer, excercising Congress' ban on new regulations.
Valid point, and not that my opinion matters to Virginia, but I think you're right too,

This ones is only 59gr
http://alofthobbies.com/catalog/prod...ntac-q100-fpv/
Mar 21, 2017, 12:24 AM
FPV Lawnmower
what are the flight characteristics like in these little frames - can you get similar experience to the 5" quads for freestyle flying

do they end up costing as much as a 5" to build?
Mar 21, 2017, 02:09 AM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxone
what are the flight characteristics like in these little frames - can you get similar experience to the 5" quads for freestyle flying

do they end up costing as much as a 5" to build?
from my experience with the Atom .. it is pretty close to flying a 5 incher but not exactly as good. Like a 5 incher, it is zippy and has no trouble with wind. I found it not to have quite as much punch and float, but I only flew it on 3S. The atom is built around a tiny cmos nano camera - which just sucks to fly with. With the lipo being a large % of the mass and undermounted it wasn't great on 110x motors, kind of pendulum like. But with 1306 and Betalfight 3.x it really really improved the quad

It get scomplicated making the Atom fly on 4S, as some of the motors might not like it or not rated for it. however having seen so many Atom on 4S now, that might the missing link and I'd like to try it. also makes carrying gopro more doable.$

cost used to be more for the motors, but I think China has copied them pretty well now. Frames are pretty cheap. esc, fc same as 5 incher. big savings in the cost of lipo though, as they are tiny. Have to get used to building tiny, source some XT30, consider eliminating all connectors even the SMA

UAV Futures absolutely loves it and thinks it is better than a 5inch. though he says the same thing every week about other stuff, and he still mainly flies 5 inchers. The main buggabo for me is the camera, which is why I am looking for a frame that will fit the system I have in my Atom but with a 1177 cam and stay under 250g
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Mar 21, 2017 at 11:38 AM.
Mar 21, 2017, 06:13 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
ugh I am avoiding that Vettster thread. Please maybe don't talk about him on here so I don't blow a gasket
So what/who is that Vettster ? Looks like I'm missing all the fun ?
Mar 21, 2017, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastsky
Sooooooo, if it is DESIGNED for "other living creatures" can we fly it? Earth worms would be more passive than ants...

Am I reading the interim order correctly in that I can no longer go and fly a foamie that weighs 251g if I am within 9km of an aerodrome blah blah?

Guess I will have to take up building pcv potato launchers to use in my urban surroundings.... BOOOM!!
Sure you can fly live creatures but then it would no doubt be deemed an actual aircraft instead of a model or UAV, so all the associated laws to deal with that :-)
Mar 21, 2017, 06:46 AM
Those laws are not that bad.

My winter project is slightly overweight for the new rules.

Mar 21, 2017, 07:43 AM
Last edited by CrashTestDummyRC; Apr 11, 2017 at 11:05 PM.
Mar 21, 2017, 08:01 AM
400' ..... NOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helno
Those laws are not that bad.

My winter project is slightly overweight for the new rules.

What the heck is that? Looks like a whole lot of fun.