Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by Rhondas
Discussion

painting covering using edge lock tape

I m painting over monokote film covering with Krylon fusion paint for plastic, and I'm trying the new blue 3m edge lock masking tape , my question is to give the plane 2 coats of paint I have to let the first coat dry 1 day , so has anyone ever used this new masking edge lock 3m tape, I thought it would be better than the old white masking tape so the edge don't bleed into the tape . any advice to this would help me .
Last edited by Rhondas; Nov 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: wrong paint named
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:55 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
For masking, 3M fine line tape, provides the sharpest lines that I have seen. It's available from automotive supply houses.

As I understand it, the edge lock tape works with the water in latex paint. Does you paint contain water ?

I thought Fusion was made by Krylon. I looked up an mds sheet, and I didn't see any water.

My conclusion would be that edge lock tape would not be suitable. Others may have differing opinions.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:01 AM

painting with edgelock tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
For masking, 3M fine line tape, provides the sharpest lines that I have seen. It's available from automotive supply houses.

As I understand it, the edge lock tape works with the water in latex paint. Does you paint contain water ?

I thought Fusion was made by Krylon. I looked up an mds sheet, and I didn't see any water. this photo is the model I have but not my plane.

My conclusion would be that edge lock tape would not be suitable. Others may have differing opinions.
You are 100% right ,[my mistake] the paint is made by Krylon for plastic and vinyl. and I checked out the edge lock 3m tape and they claim that its OK to use as long as the paint inst Lacquer. but I have the plane all masked off and ready ,so Ill try the parts I have done and if I should have pull off problems Ill search for the fine line like you mentioned .thanks
Last edited by Rhondas; Dec 06, 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: adding
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by BluIIs
Wow, it looks like that worked out pretty well! I was going to suggest you wet a piece of paper towel and wipe the tape edges to activate the edge-lock adhesive. I don't see that you had any problems. Nice looking plane.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluIIs View Post
Wow, it looks like that worked out pretty well! I was going to suggest you wet a piece of paper towel and wipe the tape edges to activate the edge-lock adhesive. I don't see that you had any problems. Nice looking plane.
this little tip you mentioned WHEN SHOULD THE EDGE LOCK BE Whetted , right after putting it before you paint on or after the paint dries?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:52 AM
My thought was to wet the tape edges after tape application but before painting. Mind, I have not tried this myself.
Since the tape adhesive is designed to expand (to fill under-tape-edge gaps) on contact with water (in latex paint), I figure the damp paper towel would trigger the reaction sealing the tape before you spray your non-latex paint.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
How long do you wait for the wetted tape to dry ? Water and oil based paints don't do well together.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluIIs View Post
My thought was to wet the tape edges after tape application but before painting. Mind, I have not tried this myself.
Since the tape adhesive is designed to expand (to fill under-tape-edge gaps) on contact with water (in latex paint), I figure the damp paper towel would trigger the reaction sealing the tape before you spray your non-latex paint.
well I have had good luck so far without wetting the tape ,
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
Yes, I see that. Nice looking plane.

Tom, wait as long as you are comfortable with. I'd follow wetting with a dry wipe if I were in a hurry, and I usually am.

Again, fellas, I have not tried this trick myself.
But I have masked (older non-EdgeLock) over color #1, sprayed or brushed color #1 along the masked edges, waited for that to dry, then sprayed or brushed color #2. In that case I was hoping the extra color #1 would seal the tape edges.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by jhaywood
If all else fails and you get some bleed, put some automotive striping tape over the color-change seam. For instance, if you have purple trim over white base, use sky blue or even apple green 1/8" striping tape to hide the ugly tape line.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:58 PM

paint line covered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaywood View Post
If all else fails and you get some bleed, put some automotive striping tape over the color-change seam. For instance, if you have purple trim over white base, use sky blue or even apple green 1/8" striping tape to hide the ugly tape line.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
this is a good idea ,I tried to use a thin paint brush and goes over the bleed marks from the tape and its very hard and you need a steady hand , I succeeded with multiply try's and finally let it go , I f I had thought about tht car pin strip tape that's the why I would have went , what I was able to achieve was the decals to cove most of the paint mistakes. Thanks