Brett
Sounds like Fun.....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2019, 04:10 AM
RC Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanu
Sounds like Fun.....
Looking forward to getting stuck in, Brett do you know anything about setting the Fuses on this board to make it more friendly to brownouts? I know there is change in Fuse settings but am unsure how to go about it.

Bill
Aug 14, 2019, 05:25 AM
Brett
Avrdudess is your friend.....im green to this also and asked for help on the arduino forum which did not work,

to check them use avrdudess 2.7
http://blog.zakkemble.net/avrdudess-a-gui-for-avrdude/

run the program with UsbASP programmer hooked up to module/rx header
select usbasp programmer top left
click "Detect" top right
if not detected manually select 328p chip
then below that click the two read buttons
the first three are the
H = high fuse bit
L= low fuse bits
E= extended fuse bits
LB = Lock Bits

Stock Orange Tx Module should be:
F7
D8
FF
FF

I have seen Rx FF,D8,FF,CF

I think and Id be happy for someone to teach me... the Extended fuse bits set to FF disables brown outs

check your module and see what fuse bits you come up with ?

http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/

you should not be getting brown outs anyway, those 12 servos you are using are drawing to many giga amps
Aug 15, 2019, 04:43 AM
RC Crazy
Quote:
Avrdudess is your friend.....im green to this also and asked for help on the arduino forum which did not work,

to check them use avrdudess 2.7
http://blog.zakkemble.net/avrdudess-a-gui-for-avrdude/

run the program with UsbASP programmer hooked up to module/rx header
select usbasp programmer top left
click "Detect" top right
if not detected manually select 328p chip
then below that click the two read buttons
the first three are the
H = high fuse bit
L= low fuse bits
E= extended fuse bits
LB = Lock Bits

F7
D8
FF
FF

I have seen Rx FF,D8,FF,CF

I think and Id be happy for someone to teach me... the Extended fuse bits set to FF disables brown outs

check your module and see what fuse bits you come up with ?

http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/

you should not be getting brown outs anyway, those 12 servos you are using are drawing to many giga amps
LoL good job I have a 20 amp BEC to use for all those servos. I thank you for your reply again and I will try this later today after I get back from hospital if I get a chance. I have an Arduino Uno that I can use as an ISP programmer and also a stand alone ISP dongle thingy I think so will take a look. On one of my models I suffer the Orange RX resetting back to default quite badly but can live with it on that airframe but on my next build I need to have it set up and stay there permanently so I started digging around as I had read a bit about changing one fuse bit to help the situation. I found this page and he talks about it
http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/hobb...fuse-settings/ stating what those fuses should be set at take a look you might glean some info from there.

Bill
Aug 16, 2019, 03:44 AM
Brett
Note: Opps I need to edit my post I should have listed the order L,H ,E ,LB

F7 = L
D8 = H
FF = E
FF = LB

yes I think I have read that link before, still dont understand half the stuff but he says to use " Extended bit" FD for 2.7 volt BOD for his project
Last edited by pmanu; Aug 16, 2019 at 03:52 AM.
Aug 16, 2019, 05:23 AM
RC Crazy
Quote:
Note: Opps I need to edit my post I should have listed the order L,H ,E ,LB

F7 = L
D8 = H
FF = E
FF = LB

yes I think I have read that link before, still dont understand half the stuff but he says to use " Extended bit" FD for 2.7 volt BOD for his project
Did some digging and watching vids last night and I agree that is what he is saying to do and I confirmed that that value will indeed set the BOD to 2.7v on that processor (it is currently swithched off completely on the board). So its looking like only needing to change that one value to do it. I tried using my Arduino UNo as an ISP on Avrdudess but nothing I selected would let me access the board. So now I need to get my USBASP working to connect to the board and read them fuses. I also came across another GUI based programme for reading the fuses and just downloaded that here is the link to it

http://extremeelectronics.co.in/avr-...r-programmers/

How to change AVR fuse bit ? Arduino example (12 min 27 sec)

In his video it was very easy to use so once I have the USBASP working I should be able to read and change that one value easily. Is theISP connector on our Orange units the standard pinout as it does not look like it to me and I am currently searching for a picture to confirm the pins.

Bill
Aug 16, 2019, 07:21 AM
RC Crazy
Hi Brett have now got my USBASP working and used that Extreme Burner to read the fuses on my Orange RX and fuses are as follows:-

Extended = FF
High = D8
Low = F7

Exactly as that site states.

Avrdudess would not work for me so I used Extreme Burner and it worked straight away, changed the Ex Fuse value from FF to FD, checked the receiver and it is still working good. So now BOD is set to 2.7v on the Atmega328p it remails to be seen as to if will do anything.

Bill
Last edited by billhally; Aug 16, 2019 at 07:53 AM.
Aug 16, 2019, 05:34 PM
Brett
Bill if your BOD (brown out detection) was set to FF which means your 5 volt supply has gone below 1.8volts for the Rx to lose its setting/firmware, try fitting a big cap on the 5 volt supply like a 4700uf 10v to steady the voltage

setting the BOD to FD = 2.7volts wont stop Brown outs but should stop data/flash corruption when your voltage dips below 2.7 volts which is a good thing (should just reset the Rx when voltage goes back up)

Brett
Last edited by pmanu; Aug 16, 2019 at 06:12 PM.
Aug 17, 2019, 04:52 AM
RC Crazy
Quote:
Bill if your BOD (brown out detection) was set to FF which means your 5 volt supply has gone below 1.8volts for the Rx to lose its setting/firmware, try fitting a big cap on the 5 volt supply like a 4700uf 10v to steady the voltage

setting the BOD to FD = 2.7volts wont stop Brown outs but should stop data/flash corruption when your voltage dips below 2.7 volts which is a good thing (should just reset the Rx when voltage goes back up)

Brett
That makes sense to me Brett as on that airframe that has the most problem a couple of times I had to re-flash the firmware onto the RX t get it to come back to life other times it just resets the settings to default which is more than annoying as I like to use the RF beacon feature in case of a hard landing anywhere. Now on my next build as we discussed I would like to use SBUS to the Matek F405 Wing flight controller and am really worried about this happening again as that would be it for the model. I currently use two openlrs units one is Hobbykings and the other is a Flytron unit, I don't seem to suffer this problem with the Flytron unit but do with the Hobbyking one which I thought is strange as the info goes the the HK is a clone of the Flytron unit although I did note on the Flytron unit there is no ISP header to access it with on the board.

Just whilst talking I notice that on the default settings for the RX there are two "ANALOGUE" outputs do they just output a voltage and not a PWM signal?

Thanks Bill
Aug 17, 2019, 05:40 AM
Brett
test the setup on the ground....id try SumD first it is meant to set the channel end points better...dont forget to try the big Cap, test the fuses between the two Rx if you can, my Flytron rx is stuck in a foam wing

the two Analogue ports have drop down channels the numbers at the start are just a copy of and channel you choose to repeat again for servos and the S1 etc seems to output 0-3.3v when switching the channel from 1000-2000ms

oh yep just found this now to confirm

>1-16: Unmodified analog signal from TX
>S1-S16: send 0 or 3.3V depending on TX position (useful to activate a buzzer, LEDs, or other on/off devices)
>SDA/SCL: experimental, currently only used for diversity with 2 modules.
>Analog: selecting 2 ports as analog sends back their 0-3.3V value as analog channels that can be received by the TX
> link loss indicator: turns on if link is totally lost (useful for a buzzer)
> packet loss beeper: same thing but sends signal for each packet lost (early warning). Because this is shared with the pin that can do RSSI, you'll likely want RSSI if your OSD/flight controller supports it
>RSSI: digital or analog RSSI output (see below). Not needed if you are using inject RSSI on servo channel.
Aug 17, 2019, 07:37 AM
RC Crazy
Quote:
test the setup on the ground....id try SumD first it is meant to set the channel end points better...dont forget to try the big Cap, test the fuses between the two Rx if you can, my Flytron rx is stuck in a foam wing

the two Analogue ports have drop down channels the numbers at the start are just a copy of and channel you choose to repeat again for servos and the S1 etc seems to output 0-3.3v when switching the channel from 1000-2000ms

>S1-S16: send 0 or 3.3V depending on TX position (useful to activate a buzzer, LEDs, or other on/off devices)
>Analog: selecting 2 ports as analog sends back their 0-3.3V value as analog channels that can be received by the TX
> packet loss beeper: same thing but sends signal for each packet lost (early warning). Because this is shared with the pin that can do RSSI, you'll likely want RSSI if your OSD/flight controller supports it
>RSSI: digital or analog RSSI output (see below). Not needed if you are using inject RSSI on servo channel.
Thanks again for that info Brett the build will not start for a while as all the other components need to get here from China, I will grab some of those Capacitors and give one a try on the problematic RX first I think as its embedded into my Skywalker 1900 but is accesible to the FTDI.

I was even thinking in terms of just leaving the RX at default and using a PWM to SBUS convertor unit for safety but that of course would only then give me 8 channels and ideally I need a minimum of 9 to do what I need to do.

Obviousily my brain has been working over time on this little problem and one thought I had was how difficult it would be to alter the deafult list setting in the firmware code to say default to the list that is needed. Unfortunately I am not a coder and dont know any one who is that would be able to say yeh or ney to doing this easily or not.

Bill
Aug 25, 2019, 08:04 AM
RC Crazy
Quote:

Hi Brett

Did you get my email at all and if so did you get any joy there with the info I sent you?

Bill
Aug 25, 2019, 04:55 PM
Brett
hay Bill yes just replied, cheers Brett
Sep 18, 2019, 01:38 AM
RC Crazy
Hopefully this will help others at some point, big thanks to Brett "pmanu" for all his help with this also!

Solved Openlrs SBUS to Matek FC Problem. (5 min 47 sec)
Last edited by billhally; Sep 18, 2019 at 04:24 AM.
Sep 24, 2019, 01:06 PM
Koo
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhally
Hopefully this will help others at some point, big thanks to Brett "pmanu" for all his help with this also!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dvt9C9-ISY
That's perfect, thank you! Wifey is encouraging me to get back into the hobby (she has no idea what a mistake she is making) and I dug up some of my gear the other night including the receiver.

Quick Reply