***STORM CHASER - EPP - Easy flyer*** - RC Groups
Nov 27, 2012, 12:20 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Discussion

***STORM CHASER - EPP - Easy flyer***

The 68" Storm Chaser is a self stabilizing FPV plane that can fit in a small car.

About half of the people interested in FPV who contact us have limited or no flying experience. We designed the Storm Chaser not just for them but for advanced flyers who want a stable slower aerial platform that can be used in smaller flying areas and is not going to break every time they fly it.

We love our combat planes at Crashtesthobby and used the same superstructure technology to build a tough FPV plane. The entire Storm Chaser is cut from EPP foam. EPP foam doesn't dent or crush like EPO or EPS foam. The fuselage is a solid core of EPP foam and not a bunch of pieces. The wing and tail are solid EPP and when laminated can take more abuse than any other plane of this type we know of. The plane not only is designed to survive but it is designed to protect your valuable radio and FPV gear.

Before we designed the Storm Chaser we had already designed the smaller 46" Albatross which was exceeding expectations in stability and performance. It was designed and built for a local university engineering group that were assigned to build auto pilots for a plane. Most of the students had never flown before. They reported that two weeks after getting the planes they had all 16 flying. We had requests for the same design in a larger size.

The polyhedral wing and motor angle make the Storm Chaser self stabilizing. Self stabilizing means the plane can level its own wings and put its nose on the horizon without pilot input or auto pilot. This leaves the pilot free to concentrate more on the flight and camera angles since the plane can take care of itself. The plane is still responsive and fun to fly and will loop and roll but is still controllable enough to fly in a baseball field. The wing with ailerons is a great flying plane too but is not self stabilizing.

If a pilot is confused, all he has to do is let go of the stick, even if the plane is in a stall, and the Storm Chaser with the polyhedral wing will level its wings and put its nose on the horizon as long as you have enough altitude. Its advantages go much farther than leveling the wings. The Storm Chaser can help you even in the wind. Many of our flyers are using it to train their wife and kids to fly it flies so well.

The Storm Chaser has an incredible power off glide. Sometimes it is hard to tell the motor is off the plane floats so well. We have flown the plane for 75+ minute flights. The plane for its size can carry a load. Of course lighter always flies better and slower but I know one group that is loading it to 7.5 lbs with their payload and we have flown it with over 20,000 mAh of 3S lipos on board and still had room for other electronics.

The Storm Chaser can be ordered in four variations.
1. Polyhedral with with pod mount motor
2. Polyhedral wing with nose mount motor.
3. Wing with ailerons and dihedral with pod mount motor
4. Wing with ailerons and dihedral with front mount motor

The Storm Chaser offers many possibilities for newer flyers or advanced flyers who want to fly FPV, night flying, slope soaring, aerial photography, and flying in small parks where low noise levels are needed.

Please follow your local laws and regulations and especially in protecting the the pilots and passengers of full scale aircraft in your area. You alone are responsive for how you fly your plane.

Lee

www.crashtesthobby.com

Storm Chaser Touch and Goes (2 min 46 sec)

Storm Chaser with Ailerons (3 min 49 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Jan 08, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2012, 12:28 PM
Very nice! I love the way the albatross flies, This should be great!
Nov 27, 2012, 12:31 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Storm Chaser bomb drops Assassin (6 min 38 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Nov 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Nov 27, 2012, 12:32 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Storm Chaser from Crashtesthobby (3 min 35 sec)
Nov 27, 2012, 12:34 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Storm Chasers LOG and aerobatics (5 min 34 sec)
Nov 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
How tough is EPP foam?? Watch this!!!

The Storm Chaser is build out of the same EPP foam....

Assassin vs Brick Wall 3-12 (4 min 14 sec)
Nov 27, 2012, 12:41 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Storm Chaser without a pilot (3 min 58 sec)
Nov 27, 2012, 12:44 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
This shows the Storm Chaser flying with 18,000 mAh with 4 X 4500 3S batteries on board. The video tells that we are using MG90 servos which we have done but we now recommend standard size servos for any plane that uses over 20 amps including this one.

Storm Chaser with 18,000 mA battery (2 min 57 sec)
Nov 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Storm Chaser inverted flight (4 min 16 sec)
Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
We also have several big EPP flying wing designs capable of combat or FPV.

The 55" Grim Reaper is the number one combat plane in our club but it is also big enough and stable enough to be a good camera platform. Has flown a 75 minute flight. Most of the questions we are getting are related to mounting a camera or doing FPV. Watch the videos below.

The 55"-61" Deep Reaper is a has a deeper cord and also has a 6" XL option to give a better forward view and increase the wingspan to 61". This plane has already had a 72 minute flight with FPV gear and although it can fly at 90+ MPH it is famous for slow flight and easy launch with a load. Watch the videos below.

The 66"-78" Hercules For those who want a really big wing. The Hercules can also can be ordered with two - 6" extensions to make it a 72" or 78" wing. Watch the videos. This plane is unique because it will take off the ground and has twin motors. Many are also building this plane as a pusher and leaving the skid off for a more conventional wing and to get longer flights.

All kits come with 100% EPP cores, EPP elevons, stainless steel custom motor mounts, laminate, shock cord, 2 horns, ez connectors push rods and rod guides. and fiberglass spars. The laminate in the kit adds extra value to save you money on the build.

More videos, product information and building instructions are at www.crashtesthobby.com

This is the FPV and electronic equipment Bakchos from Quebec used to set up his Deep Reaper XL.

2x 3000mah lipo, 1 690tvl camera for fpv, 1 gopro with plastic case, RVOSD G5, 1 VTX 2.4ghz, Chainlink LRS, hobbyking ubec, hobbyking 60a esc, turnigy 3536 1400kv motor, 9x6 apc prop, hobbyking metal gear servo,

Watch the videos and see what these planes can do. See more videos at www.crashtesthobby.com

This is Todd cliff surfing with the 55" Reaper.

GoPro HERO HD: Extreme RC Cliff Surfing in Utah's Rockies with DragonLink UHF (4 min 26 sec)

This is Todd flying in Utah Canyonlands with a 55"-61" Deep Reaper.

EPIC FPV! Most Beautiful Aerial Desert Flying EVER! Flown with DragonLink UHF & GoPro Hero2 (7 min 47 sec)

This is Scott flying to 11,800 feet to the top of Mount Timpanogos and a little slow flight.

CrashTesthobby FPV Reaper XL 6 mile run at Mt.Timpanogos flown with DragonLink (21 min 34 sec)

Deep Reaper XL Low and Slow FPV 1-12 (6 min 13 sec)

This is Rocky flying with 5000 mA battery on his Grim Reaper.

5000mah on my crash test hobby grim reaper (1 min 50 sec)

If you want a bigger FPV plane we also have the 66" -78" Hercules Gentle Giant

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1473169

This is FPV from a Hercules pusher built and flown by McGreggor

GoPro HERO HD - Flying FPV In Snow Canyon Utah (3 min 28 sec)

Here are some videos of the puller Hercules with the skid.

#3 Hercules touch and go 5-14-11 (4 min 31 sec)

78" Hercules Wind Surfing (5 min 57 sec)

78" Hercules FPV design 11-26-11 (6 min 30 sec)

FPV is great but it remains the responsibility of the builder and the flyers to follow local laws and regulations regarding the use of any plane including those carrying FPV equipment. New electronics are making amazing things possible but just because you can does not mean you should. Planes should not be flown over populated areas or in a way that could put other people or property at risk. Some of the FPV planes are being flown in at altitudes above that allowed for model planes putting them in commercial airport traffic routes. There are restrictions in place already in some areas because of the behavior of a few. Please be courteous and wise with how and where you fly.

Lee
Nov 27, 2012, 01:38 PM
Nice!

i think i ll get one or two of this 61" Deep Reaper soon

edit: all of the videos i have seen do have some minor flutter or vibration, either it is because of the mounting of the gopro or the wing itself?

for example the following video:
amazing video but on the fast turbulent passages the video isn't good.
EPIC FPV! Beautimous Buttes - Flown with DragonLink & GoPro Hero2 (4 min 6 sec)

Last edited by w4Rd3n; Nov 27, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Nov 27, 2012, 04:16 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
I like that video. It has very little "Jello" compared to most. It was shot with a GoPro which has one of the best CCDs out there. What causes that is usually the vibration of the prop. Meticulous balancing of the prop is needed to reduce vibration or "jello" to a minimum. It is a little thing that can make a huge difference. The video was shot by Todd who is one of the best proximity flyers around. The wind shear and turbulence coming over and around some of those buttes is huge and may be part of the effect.

The plane itself rarely is the cause. I have flown a variety of planes with a camera and when the plane is gliding the video is great and when it is under power it ripples or jumps. It is worse at certain speeds or frequency of the prop vibration and I have been told as it relates to the frame rate of the camera.

Some cameras that have image stabilization have a real jerky ripple effect on a plane as their stabilizers fight video that is moving rapidly in all directions. I have a camera that has an optical image stabilizer and I turn the stabilizer off when I use it on a plane .

Sometimes you also get some of the strange effects from the wide angle or fisheye effect or even the editing program.
Last edited by Lee; Nov 27, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Nov 28, 2012, 07:26 PM
Opps. I just posted my new Storm Chaser FPV setup at this post.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2447
Dec 12, 2012, 03:20 PM

Storm Chaser Pod Mount Polyhedral

I recently purchased my new Storm Chaser kit, and thought I would share my build.

Here is a picture of the kit as it came out of the box, with the exception of the fuselage and motor mount (I was a little anxious and started on that before I took pictures

Packaged very well, like they made the box exactly for the kit.
Last edited by TJDLEGEND; Dec 13, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Dec 13, 2012, 09:29 PM
I started to removed the little hairs off of the kit.

Yes I actually used a razor, it works perfect!

You can see how smooth the wing surface is, and I also "shaved" the surfaces that will be glued together. Probably not necessary, but I did it anyways.