Park flying in Reno Nevada? - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 08, 2012, 03:26 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
My cell is 287365 two, if needed.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2012, 09:11 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Good first meeting you guys, talk with you again soon.
Tom

cell 846413 nine
Dec 08, 2012, 09:47 PM
F7X
F7X
Faster!
I too moved to Reno recently. I live in Spanish Springs, by back yard overlooks Golden Eagle Regional Park. I fly there when no one is around. Its OK for 3D and slow flyers. Majority of my aircraft require wide open spaces and paved runways so I plan to join RRCC for 2013.

I would love to fly indoors. I used to do that in Colorado Springs, and it was a blast.

-Joshua
Dec 08, 2012, 10:59 PM
Official Boat Bum
Guys I've been slammed all weekend. My parents are in town for their anniversary and my daughter's in a big muti-day holiday event all weekend long. Let us know if you guys meet and come up with some ideas.
Dec 09, 2012, 12:52 AM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Tom, Chris, I'm glad we got together to meet and come up with a plan. For all others joining in and watching this thread, Tom and Chris have Park Flyer Club packages coming in from the AMA, Tom and I are scouting a few locations in the North Valley where we might start assembling as a group to put some Park Flyers in the air and we plan on approaching the city or county (as appropriate) after the first of the year to discuss establishing a dedicated location for Park Flyers.

RRCC is a great field and a great bunch of guys. I look forward to meeting you and come out join us for some slow-paced flying.
Dec 09, 2012, 09:46 AM
F7X
F7X
Faster!
Eddie P,

Next time your flying turbines/large edfs, let me know I'd like to observe.
Dec 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
Official Boat Bum
OK Joshua. I've been a little out of the scene lately but the time of year to do it locally is now when the weather is good so I'll PM you when we get another day going. Last one was in late November and I missed it but it happens at the Tiger Field airport / model park or sometimes a certain dry lake if one of us has a big one to maiden. The dry lake wont be good till later though, so it's Tiger field for now.
Dec 09, 2012, 12:27 PM
F7X
F7X
Faster!
Eddie,

Sounds like a plan. Out of the scene huh? I haven't flown anything but the slow stick and a 3D plane in the last year. I bought a short sale house so I've been busy fixing it up and getting the shop to a point where I can actually build. My Charger Jet (the one pictured in my avatar) is back in Colorado. I am AMA, and I have a smaller 70mm version called the Spatha that I might bring along if I feel confident that day. My father, the designer and scratch builder of the Charger and Spatha is going to be moving out here next spring. With the larger runway at RRCC we plan to build even bigger and faster EDFs. It will be nice to meet up with guys like you, so we can pick your brains about retracts, servos, systems, etc.

I'm looking forward to it!

-Joshua
Dec 09, 2012, 01:25 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Wesley
Eddie,

Sounds like a plan. Out of the scene huh? I haven't flown anything but the slow stick and a 3D plane in the last year. I bought a short sale house so I've been busy fixing it up and getting the shop to a point where I can actually build. My Charger Jet (the one pictured in my avatar) is back in Colorado. I am AMA, and I have a smaller 70mm version called the Spatha that I might bring along if I feel confident that day. My father, the designer and scratch builder of the Charger and Spatha is going to be moving out here next spring. With the larger runway at RRCC we plan to build even bigger and faster EDFs. It will be nice to meet up with guys like you, so we can pick your brains about retracts, servos, systems, etc.

I'm looking forward to it!

-Joshua
If you are building custom aircraft, you should know that I have a CNC laser cutter which can rapidly cut the wood pieces.
Dec 09, 2012, 06:01 PM
F7X
F7X
Faster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorama
If you are building custom aircraft, you should know that I have a CNC laser cutter which can rapidly cut the wood pieces.
Oh heck ya! I HATE cutting ribs, especially on tapered wings. I used to work for Bill Stevens of StevensAero, those lasers are amazing! Thank you for the offer.
Dec 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
F7X
F7X
Faster!
I flew my Slow Stick and 3D foamy today at Golden Eagle Regional Park. There was very little going on, and its all artificial turf. A park official approached me. She said in Sparks its OK to fly R/C planes as long as they are not glow/gas. She says she's seen guys flying floatplanes at the Sparks Marina. I'm not too fond of flying that close to civilization or I-80. So the point is, Golden Eagle is nice, huge, and 1" wheels can roll on the turf!
Dec 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
I've flown at sparks marina. It is sporty but can be done safely. Astro turf sounds fun.
Dec 10, 2012, 10:40 AM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Wesley
I flew my Slow Stick and 3D foamy today at Golden Eagle Regional Park. There was very little going on, and its all artificial turf. A park official approached me. She said in Sparks its OK to fly R/C planes as long as they are not glow/gas. She says she's seen guys flying floatplanes at the Sparks Marina. I'm not too fond of flying that close to civilization or I-80. So the point is, Golden Eagle is nice, huge, and 1" wheels can roll on the turf!
I am searching for published rules/laws associated with glow/gas r/c planes in Sparks. I hadn't thought of Sparks having their own parks system so I checked out their website. No info on gas engines, but I did find an indoor gymnasium that costs about $5 per vist (cheaper for kids and seniors). It may be too busy with basketball action or they may not want r/c airplanes in their, but it's worth a discussion with them.

I realize that I need to create a spreadsheet with all Washoe County, Reno and Sparks parks and have it show the possibilities of flying park flyers at each location. This way we won't miss out on a location which could be perfect for us.

Another resource to use is the useage schedule for parks like Golden Eagle. Those fields have to be reserved for official games. If we know when the games are not happening, we can schedule flying around them...maybe.
Dec 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
Official Boat Bum
Good ideas!!

We used to reserve local parks for official fun flies back in 2000-2004 at times. We reserved at several different Washoe County parks and had regional events attracting flyers from California as far away as San Jose and Salinas (not bad for a park flying fun fly). That was before the spat with the park people at Rancho San Rafael when there was really no sub organization to keep things in line. I arranged some of the events, CD's them with AMA scheduling and sanctioning and paid the park system for the reservations. A guy who used to run a local company called Kites Plus here in Reno did many more events than I did, his were local events that were not AMA sanctioned at Rancho and they were run very well too. It was pretty cool at the time, it would be nice to be able to do that again but correctly and sustainably. We actually had spectators and had marked off the flying and landing zones to keep people out of the areas that were not supporting flight ops.

But really, I think the organization has to be in place first - to keep things realistic and give the park system a reliable and sanctioned single point of contact to work with. They will appreciate the idea of working with a national organization with liability protection and protocols to ensure safety and compliance. That was their big point previously and I can't say that I blamed them one bit.
Dec 10, 2012, 06:51 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
I just finished research 50 parks managed by the City of Sparks. 18 parks show potential and require a physical inspection. But many of them would require sharing ball/soccer fields so they aren't high on my priority list to drive to. There are also a number of listed "Future" parks which we should keep on our radar.

I am heading to Project Solutions to inspect their indoor gymnasium and talk to them about using it. They are open to the idea, but I think they rent it out for $45 an hour. That's probably a little steep for a weekly event, unless we have the people to support it.