Jan 04, 2013, 01:21 AM
Great photos , thanks .
What batteries were you useing , and did the plane need any weight added up front to achieve correct CofG balance ?
Your report sounds like this a great plane
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2013, 08:37 AM
Oh no, not again!
Tony, thanks for the flight report. Been sitting on the fence while I build yet another GWS Moth, since I have been so disenchanted with the HK offering.

Galand,really appreciate your detailed unboxing photos. Looking forward to your build report. Most helpful.

regards,
Jeff
Jan 04, 2013, 09:27 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Excellent pics Galand, but unfortunately they've confimed what I suspected - getting a 3 speaker MrRCSound system in this model would be very tricky. I might still get this model eventually, but it will be an FMS 1400mm that is my next plane now, probably the new P-51B. Never mind!
Last edited by MattyB; Jan 05, 2013 at 07:30 PM.
Jan 04, 2013, 09:31 AM
Taranis Tyro...
PS - Is there any cooling air flowing to the battery in this model? From the pics it looks a little entombed. I can see a hole for ESC cooling in the lower part of the firewall, but not for the battery - is there one buried behind the motor mount?
Jan 04, 2013, 10:13 AM
EB-66C Team Member
I'm flying the Moth on a 4S 40C 2200mAh battery. The battery is pushed forward up against the firewall with no additional weight required for good CG. The cooling hole in the cowl and under the motor provides excellent air flow over the ESC. Also, the battery temp is barely warm after 6 minutes of flight/hovering time.

During the assembly I added a drop of loctite to all rigging and wing support hardware. Cheap insurance! After 6 flights, everything is still secure.

You guys will love this plane!

Have fun, Fly safe!
Tony
Jan 04, 2013, 11:14 AM
Thank you Tony
Jan 04, 2013, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999
Well, I will look forward to your build and flight reports with interest. I have a big soft spot for moths and could probably find room for another one somewhere .

The HK TM has what looks like a very similar l/g to the Dynam, and one simple way I found to strengthen it enormously was to wrap and CA some turns of wire around the bottom of the plastic fairing that goes around the steel l/g wire, otherwise the fairing would split apart on every landing (on grass). Since this mod it hasn't split apart once. Note that it has larger and thinner wheels than stock.
Where did you find the DH logo wheels? Stock HK?
Jan 04, 2013, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand
Where did you find the DH logo wheels? Stock HK?
I just scanned them from the stock plastic ones that came with the HK kit, then expanded them a bit and added a black ring around the outside so the bigger wheels (sprayed black) looked scale. I printed them on photo paper, sprayed with lacquer, for the wheels and glued them on. I used white inkjet printer decal paper for the star tail logos. They are probably available online somewhere, as were the "Tiger Moth" Stars I added to the tail. I have included them as photos anyway.
Jan 04, 2013, 10:21 PM
well as much as i like this biplane . i decided to pass on it till a later time i just saw a post on a seafury critical mass . being that i already have 4 biplanes two still in a box . this seafury beacons me ,ince i love fast planes as much as i love biplanes i cant refuse .good luck guys with your tigermoths .
Jan 05, 2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
I just scanned them from the stock plastic ones that came with the HK kit, then expanded them a bit and added a black ring around the outside so the bigger wheels (sprayed black) looked scale. I printed them on photo paper, sprayed with lacquer, for the wheels and glued them on. I used white inkjet printer decal paper for the star tail logos. They are probably available online somewhere, as were the "Tiger Moth" Stars I added to the tail. I have included them as photos anyway.
That looks good! I'll try it. Thanks
Jan 05, 2013, 06:07 PM
Galand, if you want to make the Dynam look more scale like then a woodgrain effect on the interplane and cabane struts looks much better - I have never seen a photo of a real yellow moth with yellow struts (see post #8). Basically you paint them (before assembly) with a lighter wood-like colour and then go over with an almost dry stiff bristle brush using a darker colour to give the grain - there are lot's of articles about this. I don't know how the wing wires are attached on the Dynam but, if possible, I would advise not gluing them as they have a habit of changing tension. Mine are just wrapped around the top of the rear cabane struts and can be re-tensioned easily (and the wings removed if required). Note that my HK Moth has four ailerons - non-stock and non-scale, but she can do some mean rolls!
Jan 05, 2013, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Galand, if you want to make the Dynam look more scale like then a woodgrain effect on the interplane and cabane struts looks much better - I have never seen a photo of a real yellow moth with yellow struts (see post #8). Basically you paint them (before assembly) with a lighter wood-like colour and then go over with an almost dry stiff bristle brush using a darker colour to give the grain - there are lot's of articles about this. I don't know how the wing wires are attached on the Dynam but, if possible, I would advise not gluing them as they have a habit of changing tension. Mine are just wrapped around the top of the rear cabane struts and can be re-tensioned easily (and the wings removed if required). Note that my HK Moth has four ailerons - non-stock and non-scale, but she can do some mean rolls!
The struts are definitely wood but fairly light color judging from this picture of the original for the Dynam:
Jan 05, 2013, 06:55 PM

Mysterious ESC to Rx part

On opening the box, this thing was plugged between the ESC and the Rx plug.
On the Dynam Me262 thread the most recent shipments also had one of these for each ESC to Rx.
People were wondering what it does.
Somebody asked Nitroplanes and got the answer that it prevented motor stuttering.
On my Me262 which never had this thingy, I never noticed any speech impediment!
Any ideas?
Jan 05, 2013, 07:21 PM

Flying Wires

So far assembly is very simple until you get to the flying wires.
They are fine steel wires with an eyelet at each end.
They are made very precisely in lenght and have a nice tension when attached. Very impressive!
However attaching them demands first a thorough study of the two pictures 7 and 8 in the manual that show how it should be done.
Then figure out a way to handle the tiny machine screws (2x8mm) and their nuts while maintaining the required wire tension.
There are in total 12 fixation points to be made.
After the first two I figured out that the following sequence worked well for me:
1 It's best to thread the verical wire onto the machine screw first,
2 then the diagonal wire (because the tension will make the eyelet, with its 60 degree bend, pop off the machine screw head if threaded on first),
3 then insert the screw into the plastic wing eye,
4 then slide the strut eye onto the screw
5 and finally the real tough one: thread the nut onto the screw.
For threading that miniature nut, my fingers are way too clumsy. So I used a metric Tamya miniature wrench from the RC Car world.
The resuly looks very pleasing but I guess you will never want to take the wing off again.
Jan 05, 2013, 10:08 PM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand
On opening the box, this thing was plugged between the ESC and the Rx plug.
On the Dynam Me262 thread the most recent shipments also had one of these for each ESC to Rx.
People were wondering what it does.
Somebody asked Nitroplanes and got the answer that it prevented motor stuttering.
On my Me262 which never had this thingy, I never noticed any speech impediment!
Any ideas?
Interesting. There was a similar part in the Waco. I never could figure out what it was, and my motor stuttered with the stock ESC. I swapped out the ESC with an E-Flite ESC I already had.

Quick Reply