Nov 26, 2012, 09:51 AM
Just another user
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis
I
It appears we are very close to testing this Beta2 OSD system in the air. I
It would be really great, if you get a chance to test it in air
If you have a groundrecorder and plan to take the OSD for a ride, it would be nice to see the recording.

Quote:
I
One test should be to see if feet roll into miles at the one mile marker
Don't worry, I might not be very good at documenting my work, but I usually test the code for the most obvious mistakes. The feet to mile mark have been checked more than once

One thing though - if you pass the 9999 mark on altitude, it might show "funny characters". I haven't checked as pretty much no-one would ever get to 10 kilometers altitude. But 9999 feet on the other hand is not impossible
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
Just another user
Thread OP
Quote:

Beta2 says:
#define VOLT_MEAS 0 // Battery voltage A0
#define CURRENT_MEAS 1 // Current sensor A1
#define RSSI_MEAS 2 // RSSI or second battery on A2

Is this right or the schematic ? Schematic shows A1 = RSSI I don't mind doing modifying the schematic

Rick
Your schematic is right
The code will be updated, sorry.

Nice catch, I didn't notice. Haven't really tested voltage and current sense - they should be straight forward and just work
Nov 26, 2012, 10:43 AM
Just another user
Thread OP
Quote:
Dennis,

Yep - elevation looks good

I've been thinking, you say, "The altitude is normally off by quite a lot in the beginning. " You say it is off at the beginning, but gps altitude can be off several meters (feet ) even when locked in to several satellites...yes?

At least what I have seen, isn't the pressure sensor much more accurate in elevation changes? - Can we use the pressure sensor for our altitude instead of GPS or as an option? (Maybe a toggle?)

The Nano ordered should be here Tuesday!
If all goes well, I plan to use some vacation time to mount and test in the air.

Do you see what I adjusted ? This is why your work is so amazing. For those of us that want a customized OSD, this gets us started in a big way !!

Thank you Dennis !

Rick
Great to see you managed to change it yourself
Yes, the pressure-sensor should be a lot more stable in regard to altitude. The GPS altitude always "drifts" quite a lot.

All the extra sensors etc. will not be done before the general functions have been verified to work correctly (at least that's the plan)
Nov 26, 2012, 11:59 AM
Just out of curiosity, why no RTH function?
Nov 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
Just another user
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash
Just out of curiosity, why no RTH function?
Long story short.. The microcontroller is not really up to the task, it will require a lot of sensors, a lot of testing, a lot of time etc. With the time I have available atm. and being a single person developing, I have decided not to. Instead I would rather spend my time developing a descent OSD-software.

Oh - and I don't use RTH myself and have no intention to do so..
Nov 26, 2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie
Great to see you managed to change it yourself
Yes, the pressure-sensor should be a lot more stable in regard to altitude. The GPS altitude always "drifts" quite a lot.

All the extra sensors etc. will not be done before the general functions have been verified to work correctly (at least that's the plan)
Dennis,

What specifically would you like tested?
Would you want a USA person to fly 9999 feet or more? with no RSSI ?

Is this the sensor you have and/or plan to work with?
http://www.flytron.com/sensors/141-b...out-board.html

Rick
Nov 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
Just another user
Thread OP
Quote:
Dennis,

What specifically would you like tested?
Would you want a USA person to fly 9999 feet or more? with no RSSI ?

Is this the sensor you have and/or plan to work with?
http://www.flytron.com/sensors/141-b...out-board.html

Rick
No not at all, I can test/simulate all the crazy distances and altitudes myself
The altitude was just meant as a friendly reminder, as it should be one if the few limits, that I haven't taken into account yet.

Haven't decided completely on pressure-sensor yet, but yes, it's most likely the BMP085 I'm gonna use.
Nov 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
Dennis can you post a picture of your minimosd setup?
Nov 26, 2012, 03:04 PM
Just another user
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev
Dennis can you post a picture of minimosd setup?
A picture of the setup? I'm not quite sure what you mean.
I haven't really done anything with minimosd, just uploaded my software, connected it to a screen and changed back to my own hardware again.

I was just curious and wanted to check if it would work
As mentioned, the character-set is wrong and you probably wanna change the MAX7456 registers to default settings
Nov 26, 2012, 11:05 PM
Dennis,

Will you check to see if this thing is wired correctly (just kidding!)

Looking forward to testing it out soon !!

Little afraid to do that 9999 foot thing till you figure out the EzUHF Rx RSSI and this digital analog stuff eek!

It looks like there are a few pins left for that other sensor or two!

RIck
Last edited by RickEis; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Nov 27, 2012, 02:31 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!

Feature Request

Dennis,
do you think that a clock prescaler could be implemented in the code so that a single 27Mhz crystal can provide the clock needed for both the Atmega and the MAX? (as opposed to a 16Mhz and a 27Mhz)

Found some info here: http://arduino.cc/playground/Code/Prescaler

I know its not necessary in the slightest, it may even be impossible, but it would make a cool way to strip components off the board.
Nov 27, 2012, 06:05 AM
1971-2021: 50 years of R/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie
A picture of the setup? I'm not quite sure what you mean.
I haven't really done anything with minimosd, just uploaded my software, connected it to a screen and changed back to my own hardware again.

I was just curious and wanted to check if it would work
As mentioned, the character-set is wrong and you probably wanna change the MAX7456 registers to default settings
since a 7456 break out board costs $40 and a full minimOSD only $18 it would be interesting to use the minimOSD hardware...
Nov 27, 2012, 07:06 AM
Just another user
Thread OP
Quote:
Dennis,

Will you check to see if this thing is wired correctly (just kidding!)

Looking forward to testing it out soon !!

Little afraid to do that 9999 foot thing till you figure out the EzUHF Rx RSSI and this digital analog stuff eek!

It looks like there are a few pins left for that other sensor or two!

RIck
Looks good
Just take care none of those solderings (on the wires) are too fragile.

No need to take a trip to 9999

Quick RSSI is done with a lowpass-filter and just connect it to the analog-input.
Nov 27, 2012, 07:10 AM
Just another user
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot
Dennis,
do you think that a clock prescaler could be implemented in the code so that a single 27Mhz crystal can provide the clock needed for both the Atmega and the MAX? (as opposed to a 16Mhz and a 27Mhz)

Found some info here: http://arduino.cc/playground/Code/Prescaler

I know its not necessary in the slightest, it may even be impossible, but it would make a cool way to strip components off the board.
Hmm, I don't think it's possible to run Atmega328 with 27 MHz and as far as I know, the prescalers is only for timers etc? But I gotta admit, that I have never looked for that feature.

To be honest, I don't think it's worth the trouble even if you find a fancy way to do it. Especially cause 27 MHz / 2 gives 13.5 MHz which is not close to 16 MHz. It will give some new trouble with UART speed etc.
Nov 27, 2012, 07:14 AM
Just another user
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcall
since a 7456 break out board costs $40 and a full minimOSD only $18 it would be interesting to use the minimOSD hardware...
Sure, it's a solution that's hard to beat in regard to price. Unfortunatly, way too few pins are available for my taste.

But the software should be compatible and the MinimOSD I got came with bootloader (if i remember correctly)

Quick Reply