Nov 23, 2012, 09:02 PM
My goal is fly more crash less
Thread OP
Discussion

3 axis vs 6 axis gryos

Suddenly I'm seeing a slew of choices at the 6CH CP level RTF for around $100!! So now I'm wondering how much of a difference there is between models with 3 axis gyros vs those with 6 when the 6 only cost $10 more.

To be specific my choices are:

WL V922
Walkera Mini CP
Walkera Genius CP

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
I don't think you'll actually be flying in 6 axis mode. Six axis is more like six sensors. Three gyros and three accelerometers. All it does is let the helicopter know up from down.

On the Genius CP, six axis isn't actually integrated into the flight performance by default. There's a switch on the board itself that switches it over to six axis mode. If you enabled six axis mode on a GeniusCP you will know it because it will fly like a 4ch. However, it will measure 'down' relative to the circuitboard, so if the receiver isn't perfectly level, the heli will drift.

Come to think of it. That's probably why the thing kept drifting left in six axis mode. I've adjusted the links to make the swash plate level so now that the board is parallel with the swashplate, there's no more tilt to counter the tail rotor!
Nov 23, 2012, 11:06 PM
Cranky old fart
There is no such thing as a 6 axis gyro. You only have 3 axis to control, pitch, roll and yaw, at least in this dimension. The term "6 axis" is being used for a 3 axis gyro with accelerometers. Accelerometers will attempt to level the quad. However, on these RTF 4 channel micro quads, their influence is small. You need more channel control and significant tuning capability to use them effectively. You wouldn't turn on accelerometers all of the time.
Nov 24, 2012, 12:12 PM
hi,was that the one where you shim the box ,so heli hovers whith the slight tilt
while box is level
Nov 24, 2012, 12:42 PM
Not sure but what you mean by box. But here's the mod to make the GeniusCP level in six axis mode.

Genius CP -How to -6 Axis fix (Part 2) (2 min 47 sec)
Nov 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
My goal is fly more crash less
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile
Not sure but what you mean by box. But here's the mod to make the GeniusCP level in six axis mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knMZ2ZvyKzA
Very interesting. So you add a spring adjusted plate on which to install the board?
Nov 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
Closed Account
Man, you buy a heli with a 6 way gyro, and have to add a plate with 4 spring loaded adjusting screws to make it fly right?
Kind of like the 3 way gyro in the ufly was a pain to fly until you bought the aftermarket bell/hiller mod for it - and even then it was marginal.
Nov 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
That's why I don't use six axis. The controls become more restricted than a v911, and it doesn't hover in place. You can probably trim it out or adjust the linkages but I never bothered.
Nov 24, 2012, 07:09 PM
Cranky old fart
The Genius was Walkera's first attempt at using accelerometers. Their initial attempts at anything are considerably less than successes.l
Nov 24, 2012, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik
Man, you buy a heli with a 6 way gyro, and have to add a plate with 4 spring loaded adjusting screws to make it fly right?
Kind of like the 3 way gyro in the ufly was a pain to fly until you bought the aftermarket bell/hiller mod for it - and even then it was marginal.
Hi Karlik, I took my Ufly out the other day for the first time in months. I put the 3 axis gyro to use by removing flybar. Wish i would have done it on day one. Would have saved me some crash parts. Just wish I could have fixed the tail gears from stripping so easy.
Ufly 11 11 11 (5 min 54 sec)

Quick Reply