Apr 13, 2013, 11:31 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazdeb
Hi, Highgain,
Tried the stock 18amp with 10-4.5's but motors got a bit warm(esc;s cool to touch), then tried the RC-timer 9-4.7's and run perfectly for 7mins hovering. Might try a set of 30amps that I have laying around with the carbon 10-4.5's..

ps nice lab
I have some CF 9's on their way. My F450 doesn't like 10's... too twitchy and 8's are very smooth but the motors have to rev so much higher.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2013, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning
You need to first record a Home Point. People who take off before the multiple green flash occurs record their home point and orientation while in the air. At that point you have no idea what will happen when you flip to HL and pull back on the stick.
I'd been flying mine for over a month WITHOUT multiple green for home point but I almost always check the CL and/or HL to see how my Phantom reacts to the stick movements. By then I was only flying LOS, so I didn't pay much attention but after my flight path expands, I make a habit of manually setting the home point.

Then my usb connection went south and DslrPro sent me a new one and now I have multiple green while it's warming up.
Apr 13, 2013, 11:44 PM
Quote:
TJ

Read what Northbound wrote. I experienced the same today flying which is why I wrote: Record (as in manually) There must be a period of time when swapping between batteries that it needs to re-learn. Since my orientation is different from battery to battery and I don't know how long it needs before it makes a new recording, I always do a manual record of CL. I rarely move more than a few feet while flying as we have to stay in position at the field so I don't worry about recording a new Home point manually.
I will be a happy camper if (when) I finally need RTH and it flys back anywhere near enough to take control! So a home point in the vicinity is good enough for my terrain and purposes.

Probably happening because sometimes there is only 4 or 6 seconds between me unplugging/plugging in another battery. It goes right back to slow green blink so it may think it does not need to reset. I should wait 10+ seconds or so unplugged I think.
Apr 14, 2013, 12:05 AM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasit
I'd been flying mine for over a month WITHOUT multiple green for home point but I almost always check the CL and/or HL to see how my Phantom reacts to the stick movements. By then I was only flying LOS, so I didn't pay much attention but after my flight path expands, I make a habit of manually setting the home point.

Then my usb connection went south and DslrPro sent me a new one and now I have multiple green while it's warming up.
Let me be clear as I loosely explained doing this. I thought most were and it was just a repeat.

As I have experienced and Northbound reiterated. The Phantom DOES NOT always record new setting between battery swaps. I understand how the VRAM is staying powered by capacitance therefore rather than wait for it to time out (which is why you must unplug the battery for 10 minutes before doing an advanced compass calibration) I just do a manual CL and sometimes a manual HL which is different by the way in where the switch #2 is toggled between.

To do a manual CL recording I toggle from off to CL 4 times
To do a manual HL recording I toggle from CL to HL 4 times

Each will give you a rapid green flash feedback.
Apr 14, 2013, 12:10 AM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound
I will be a happy camper if (when) I finally need RTH and it flys back anywhere near enough to take control! So a home point in the vicinity is good enough for my terrain and purposes.

Probably happening because sometimes there is only 4 or 6 seconds between me unplugging/plugging in another battery. It goes right back to slow green blink so it may think it does not need to reset. I should wait 10+ seconds or so unplugged I think.
Part of a pre-flight and early flight test should include going out 10+ meters and test CL and HL before flying any further. If that is done, you have covered your bases.
Apr 14, 2013, 03:51 AM

rth

I've had my quad for bout 2 months only managed about 8 flights no crashes whatsoever very gentle with it, been trying fpv great, before flights always wait for slow flashing green one day fpv behind some trees fpv starts to break up so I raise throttle hoping to get fpv vision back which I do then realise I don't have control and thank god it comes back to to me thank god for RTH
Last edited by zoot69uk2001; Apr 14, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Apr 14, 2013, 04:14 AM
The latest revelation on the Phantom Pilots board seems to be that if you cover the GPS by placing your GoPro on TOP of the Phantom......you get GPS problems.

And you've guessed it....if you take the GoPro OFF the top of the Phantom, the GPS works again.

Wow, what a truly astounding find!

Apr 14, 2013, 05:54 AM

Could a newbie make a worse mistake?

I can't believe I've managed to do this, but I have, and I feel upset and embarrassed, so please no judgement, just advice if possible.

I undertook the task of shortening all 7 of the leads on my Turnigy lipos. I somehow got one of them wrong and wired the wrong way....I think you know what's coming next. It involved a lot of smoke and that god awful, this is going to cost you a lot of money, burning smell.

I've taken it apart and can see the wires from the Naza to the ESC's are all burned.
Can anyone tell me what other damage I'm likely to have done. Is it a write off?
Have I destroyed the Naza?

I'm going now because I'm struggling to see my keyboard and screen through my tears.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
Apr 14, 2013, 08:11 AM
Empire Support

Reverse Polarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInSpain
I can't believe I've managed to do this, but I have, and I feel upset and embarrassed, so please no judgement, just advice if possible.
I undertook the task of shortening all 7 of the leads on my Turnigy lipos. I somehow got one of them wrong and wired the wrong way....I think you know what's coming next. It involved a lot of smoke and that god awful, this is going to cost you a lot of money, burning smell.
I've taken it apart and can see the wires from the Naza to the ESC's are all burned.
Do you mean that the servo type wires from the Naza to the ESCs are burned?
Can anyone tell me what other damage I'm likely to have done. Is it a write off?
I'm going now because I'm struggling to see my keyboard and screen through my tears.
Thanks
Dan
See blue question...
If the reverse polarity burning went from lipo to ESC to Naza FC, there's a good chance you have fried your electronics.
There's really no way to know the extent of the damage without dis-assembly and testing.
If that's more than you are up to doing, take it back to your dealer or find someone to assist...
I'm sorry this happened...
If it helps at all, your motors might have survived...
Apr 14, 2013, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInSpain

Thanks

Dan
Argh, gutted mate, sorry to hear it!!

Can't offer any speculation, but hope it's OK
Apr 14, 2013, 08:45 AM
Yesterday's Shannonville Stages Rally.

It was crazy windy! Several times I could only just barely fight my way back upwind.

I really, really, reaaaally need a Zenmuse gimbal.

Shannonville Stages Rally - 2013 (3 min 50 sec)
Apr 14, 2013, 09:23 AM
Plus Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
Yesterday's Shannonville Stages Rally.

It was crazy windy! Several times I could only just barely fight my way back upwind.

I really, really, reaaaally need a Zenmuse gimbal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ftjlg28If4
Nice video Zbip57....
Some shots remembered me FitandFuel's shots with airboats... But not for gimbal moves but for many splash water flying over
Apr 14, 2013, 09:36 AM
Plus Pilot

HL still work with 5 sat signal

Hello,

Acording to manuals and all posts around, I did a simple test and was surprised with this:
I started pre-flight not over open area but some roof and structures over Phantom. Waited for Naza and whole warm cycle. GPS mode is on but at final, I got Green -Red-Red sequence. That means Ok to flight, but not GPS enough satellites found, right? I flew, went around 30mts far and I tested both CL and HL modes. Both worked ! I landed still with same sequence so no changes during short flight.
Question, 5 satellites signal are enough for HL but will not be enough for RTH state?
Last edited by Jumanoc; Apr 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
Apr 14, 2013, 10:46 AM
Quote:
First try a simple and cheap Toroid. I use them on the Throttle wires.

HGT,
Thanks for your thoughts. I fixed it by running the video grd wire direct to the camera and tx (video out -) from the battery - lead. I had been using the video out - from the transmitter to the camera.
Joe C
Apr 14, 2013, 11:45 AM
with phantom
caballos con phantom dji (2 min 42 sec)

Quick Reply