Mar 28, 2013, 11:13 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
HGT is right.
Bill Glover (over on the Naza GPS thread) has done some battery warning tests.
He maintains that at second level all you really have is the ability to slow the inevitable descent of the aircraft.
And that requires 90+% of the throttle.
It is not the same as a RTH landing!
If you leave the throttle at 50%, you're coming down.
There is virtually no other control that you can input.
The Naza FC will keep the airframe leveled.
That's about it...

Some pilots turn off battery protection and use a timer.
Their theory is toast a lipo, but save the airframe.
This, gentlemen, is a pilot decision that you get to make for yourself...

OK, say you are in 1st level and give a burst of throttle that temporarily causes the measured V to drop below the second level trigger, but then let up on the throttle so V goes back above the level 2 trigger. Does it continue it's 2nd level descent?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2013, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1000
Its loud. Old people (like me) can hear it. The buttons are big, and its always right there. Less than $10 at Wal-Mart.
Joe C

Ha Ha! I put one on mine in the same spot, my wife use this for her reading teaching.
Mar 28, 2013, 11:41 AM
Empire Support

Throttle Burst

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
OK, say you are in 1st level and give a burst of throttle that temporarily causes the measured V to drop below the second level trigger, but then let up on the throttle so V goes back above the level 2 trigger. Does it continue it's 2nd level descent?
I'd say that if you're in a 1st Level Protection, a burst of throttle wouldn't be wise in the first place.
You really need to be coaxing as much out of your battery as you can before the 2nd Level Protection sets in.
That's like knowing your gas tank is almost empty and speeding up in an effort to reach a gas station before all the fuel is gone...
Mar 28, 2013, 11:42 AM
Skate & fly

Prop balancing

First time doing prop balancing using my brand new DuBro... Needs time

My white DJI Props CCW seem more balanced than the CW Props ?
Have you made the same experience?

I have watch different videos on youtube but has someone a good and easy method to balance props with adhesive tap?
All videos I found are with sand paper and as a beginner I don't like a method without possibility of coming back
I am doing try and error and wondering how far, how much adhesive tape I should put

Any advice is welcome, thanks!
Mar 28, 2013, 12:01 PM
Empire Support

Balance Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeegeeSwiss
First time doing prop balancing using my brand new DuBro... Needs time

My white DJI Props CCW seem more balanced than the CW Props ?
Have you made the same experience?

I have watch different videos on youtube but has someone a good and easy method to balance props with adhesive tap?
All videos I found are with sand paper and as a beginner I don't like a method without possibility of coming back
I am doing try and error and wondering how far, how much adhesive tape I should put

Any advice is welcome, thanks!
Most use clear cellophane tape.
Wrap it around the leading edge so that it does not peal up.
Use as much as it takes.
Locate it in from the blade tip enough to get a good surface to stick it.
The hub imbalance (if you have it) can't actually be fixed with tape.
It's trial and error, and it's not rocket science.
Just have at it!
Anything you accomplish will probably be an improvement, and with tape, you can't really screw it up...
Mar 28, 2013, 12:16 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Quote:
The hub imbalance (if you have it) can't actually be fixed with tape.
It's trial and error, and it's not rocket science.
I use gaff tape on the side of the hub, works perfect. just build up a couple of layers if required.

Personally I stick the tape on the upside of the prop about half way out to be in a area with lower airspeed, I have never had tape peel off. but again, its all trail and error.. perfectly balanced props is a awesome thing when the quad flies smoothly.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen
I use gaff tape on the side of the hub, works perfect. just build up a couple of layers if required.

Personally I stick the tape on the upside of the prop about half way out to be in a area with lower airspeed, I have never had tape peel off. but again, its all trail and error.. perfectly balanced props is a awesome thing when the quad flies smoothly.
Gaff tape is a great idea and that stuff REALLY sticks. It will remove skin, no bs!
Mar 28, 2013, 12:31 PM
Empire Support
Quote:
I guess it's all a personal preference thing...
I've always gotten out near the tips to place the tape.
Out there, it requires less tape to balance.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:32 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL
I double checked this morning, 1283 is the full up weight with 2x 2700 batteries, all up she weights 1102 with a single 2700. So I guess I'm getting 4:15 on 1102g with the zingers.

For the record, 1283, doesn't fly as smooth so I don't film with it anymore.
A 2700 mAh battery at 181 grams? Tell me more!
Do you have a link to the battery?

What are flight times with both batteries mounted?
Mar 28, 2013, 12:33 PM
Don't even have my Phantom yet, but learned quickly in this hobby one of the key things to have is a decent prop balancer. Such a simple and cheap piece of equipment that makes a huge difference. Not just in shooting aerial but also just in keeping so much vibration off of your electronics and such.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:37 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
Quote:

Heli guys have been using tape for years.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:39 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasit
Here are what I found:

Prop & weight in grams:

At first I didn't think much of the weight but while I was balancing them, I can't decide should I install the similar weight pair together for front & rear set or install them across diagonally? Perhaps if the weight difference is not that much (then how much), there shouldn't be any significant different in flight performance. Anyhow, I decided to balance the weight of them too.
That's a very good point and I had not thought about this before but when I balance variator rollers for our performance engines, all 6 rollers are balanced within a 1/10th of a gram. What you have to consider is not the static weight but what happens to the rotational g-forces every tenth of a gram makes at the speeds these turn. There are some calculators online and you will be amazed at what a 1/10 of a gram does at these speeds.

That's why it is so important to balance props and I also do my motors as I love the Manual mode speeds you can fly these at.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:55 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
I'd say that if you're in a 1st Level Protection, a burst of throttle wouldn't be wise in the first place.
You really need to be coaxing as much out of your battery as you can before the 2nd Level Protection sets in.
That's like knowing your gas tank is almost empty and speeding up in an effort to reach a gas station before all the fuel is gone...
So we don't actually know what will happen. Maybe I'll try it.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:56 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasit
As I mentioned before, suddenly my usb connection is impossible. I email DslrPro and they didn't even ask or suggest any solution but just informed me that the new one would be on the way. It was just like this is the "known" problem already.

Did the new USB cable correct the issue? Rarely ever see a USB cable fail but I know especially on the GoPro Black it needs a rear port directly connected to the mother board rather then the crappy remote mount front USB ports many tower PC's have..

Give that a try with anything USB if you are having connectivity issues. The faster the baud rates of the new USB protocols the more the front remote USB docks are acting up.

Anyway once I received the new one, I took the top off to balance the motors. First I spun each motors to see if there's any differences and there were (in term of cog's strength and smoothness). Once I started the vibration reading, the graph started like peaks and valleys and tapered down after 10 seconds or so. Next I oil the bearing and took another reading, I could clearly see that the vibration level decreased without any balancing act. This makes me believe that the motors may came unlubricated and bone dry or the lubricant may just dry up thus cause the cycling vibration behavior when I first ran them.

I just took a new bearing and old noisy bearing apart last night to see if there was a visible issue. Both had a good amount of grease in there. Much thicker than an oil so I am now reconsidering oiling these as it may displace and wash out the grease they provide. They are too tiny to do this as a maintenance. This is the old bearing. You can clearly see a lot of grease left.

Mar 28, 2013, 01:11 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc
HGT, watch my last post in ARdrone-Flyers (Daza still not "coverted"):

I spent many buckets with 2 Ardrone 2.0. I was newbie... No RC experience... so great time with Ar.Drone.
I had many issues and never got to fly in the way it should. I live at 2000 mts. over sea level... Thin air, Gyro bad,... I asked Parrot, no solutions, better help I got in this forum. Thanks to every one who contribute here...
Then went to MiruMod- RC - great decision ! great time... but wind no likes drone...
Bored with wind, battery issues, proppeler issues, camera issues, bearings and shaft replacing... App issues (FreeFlight Pro saved my day !)
Sold 1 and keep 1 (MiruMod RC)...
In january, I got Phantom... changed from nigth to day! even as newbie, I out of the box it and flew 300 mts high, 200 mts, away.... return home... total control in windy day!
I got 85+ flights, 60 HD and FPV, no issues, no daily crashes, 3 different propellers to choose, 5 HD cameras to choose, 10 batteries models to choose, Intelligent return home, GPS, USB programable gains, modes, Futaba an other TX/RX upgradable... etc. etc.

For those who wants and can leave "the great starter toy" and go to RC real device, welcome to our forum. Now I'm not more newbie just because got an aircraft that works without mod anything!.
Best forum for beginers and advanced (490 pages with ideas, solutions and experimented RC members to help you):
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1774685
Great to have you here and plenty of us willing to help. I see many of the same people on ARDrone Flyers that were dissing the Phantom now all own one... How funny.

Quick Reply