Mar 20, 2013, 08:32 AM
I didnt see any on the site but will try to call them here in a sec to see if they keep the stock phantom props. Did you see some on the site?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2013, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mori55 View Post
They told me they had em. We will see
I just received an email from DSLR Pros. My free battery has been shipped and is on it's way.
Mar 20, 2013, 08:48 AM

Web site

Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
I didnt see any on the site but will try to call them here in a sec to see if they keep the stock phantom props. Did you see some on the site?
Web site not updated. I use them as it is my LHS and owener Kirk is always very helpfull. donnie
Mar 20, 2013, 09:05 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57 View Post
On page 10 of the Phantom Advanced Manual v1.2, about halfway down the page in the section -
IOC FLYING NOTES !!!,
it says this:

I've been wondering about that, so I went out and ran a test on the weekend.

I've come to the conclusion that the manual is incorrect and that, upon returning within the 10 metre boundary, the Phantom yes will switch from Home-Lock mode to Course-Lock mode, but it will use the originally recorded course direction, NOT the current forward direction described in the manual.
I tested the same thing last week, and came to exactly the same conclusion.
Mar 20, 2013, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gervais View Post
Btw. , the original DJI replacement cable looked somehow pre-abused as well.
That looks like a 5 pin micro JST cable - if you need just the wires, you can probably get from another source for cheap.
Mar 20, 2013, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by menksters View Post
Web site not updated. I use them as it is my LHS and owener Kirk is always very helpfull. donnie
He said they are out but thanks for the reference though, these guys aren't far from me so shipping will be fast when they get some later.
Mar 20, 2013, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
I tested the same thing last week, and came to exactly the same conclusion.
Yes,credit to kallend. It was your post #6259 in this thread, and the discussion with HighGainTuning that started me puzzling about this.

I think it's fair to say that the Phantom Advanced Manual v1.2 is at best confusing, or even wrong, where it says the following on page 10 under "IOC Flying Notes !!!":

Quote:
When you are flying in home lock mode, if the aircraft is back within the 10m range around home point,
or you switch into ATTI Mode, or the GPS signal becomes weak, the MC will fly in course lock by the
current forward direction automatically. But this forward direction is NOT the recorded forward direction.
If you switch into course lock now, the MC will fly in course lock using the earlier recorded forward
direction
No matter how many times I read that, I still don't understand what they're trying to say.

I'd like to try another experiment. Let's assume the "earlier recorded forward direction" is the one initially recorded at power up. Would the "current forward direction" then be the new direction that I later changed it to by re-recording it in flight? But doesn't that mean this forward direction (the new one) then becomes the "recorded forward direction"?

What I should have tried, and am itching to try now, is to repeat the original experiment showing how the Phantom automatically switches from HL to CL when returning within the 10 metre boundary, but then continue flying and re-orient the recorded forward direction while in flight to a different new course direction, then repeat the HL test pulling back on the stick until the Phantom comes back inside the 10 metre boundary.

Starting in GPS mode in HL, if you continue pulling back on the stick, the Phantom should return toward the Home position until reaching the 10 metre boundary, then switch automatically to CL mode, where pulling back on the stick makes it back up in the reverse direction to the... :
  1. "current forward direction",
  2. "recorded forward direction", or
  3. "earlier recorded forward direction".
Huh?

It has been snowing like mad the last couple of days. It's nice and sunny out right now, but I'm stuck in the office again. It's supposed to cloud over this afternoon, winds 20 km/h, 60% chance of more snow flurries. No end in sight until Saturday.

Don't the weather gods know I'd rather be out flying? It's supposed to be the first day of spring today! What's up with that?
Mar 20, 2013, 11:15 AM
Bottom line is...

Home-Lock is primarily a useful function for bringing the Phantom home if you ever fly too far out and lose track of which way it is currently pointing. In GPS mode, flip to HL, pull back on the stick, and the Phantom comes straight home no matter which way it's facing at the time. It's brilliant that way.

Also, Left or Right on the stick makes the Phantom orbit around the Home location.

It is possible to change the Home position, while in flight, by cycling the IOC switch between CL and HL three to five times quickly. Left or Right on the stick then orbits the new Home position, possibly useful for circling a Point-of-Interest. However that comes with a strong caveat! Should you ever have need of the Fail-Safe Return-to-Home feature, the Phantom will return to that newly recorded Home position and no longer to the original point you launched from!

In any case you need to be prepared for a sudden, and very likely confusing, change of direction if, while operating in HL mode, you allow the Phantom to enter within a 10 metre radius of the current Home position, causing the Phantom to automatically switch over to CL mode.

When that happens, or to prevent that happening, flipping the IOC switch to OFF will reset the controls to the usual flying mode with the controls oriented as normal. Forward on the stick is nose forward, etc.
Mar 20, 2013, 11:24 AM
Made in Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug24k View Post
That looks like a 5 pin micro JST cable - if you need just the wires, you can probably get from another source for cheap.
Good thought , but I think its even smaller: Total width around 7.25mm.
Mar 20, 2013, 11:33 AM

Hard Case for my Phantom

I just recieved my hard case from TradeCraftCases.com (USA), and I have to say that I am mightily impressed with the quality of this item, not to mention the price.
It cost $179.00 and that included delivery to Spain!!!

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves...

Cheers,

Dan
Mar 20, 2013, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInSpain View Post
I just recieved my hard case from TradeCraftCases.com (USA), and I have to say that I am mightily impressed with the quality of this item, not to mention the price.

Cheers,

Dan
I've got one of these out for delivery on the UPS truck today.

A bit bigger than necessary but I wanted something different that reminds me of the good ol' days when I got to play with sound equipment. Built to fit a Technics 1200 turntable and they go for $80-100 depending on whether one of the brands has them on sale. I'll have to cut the foam myself, tho.

Edited to retract my "a bit bigger than necessary" comment. UPS dropped it off and it's just the right size. Just need some foam to build up the interior and I'll have a badass case.
Last edited by jtown; Mar 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Mar 20, 2013, 12:03 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57 View Post
Yes,credit to kallend. It was your post #6259 in this thread, and the discussion with HighGainTuning that started me puzzling about this.

I think it's fair to say that the Phantom Advanced Manual v1.2 is at best confusing, or even wrong, where it says the following on page 10 under "IOC Flying Notes !!!":

No matter how many times I read that, I still don't understand what they're trying to say.

I'd like to try another experiment. Let's assume the "earlier recorded forward direction" is the one initially recorded at power up. Would the "current forward direction" then be the new direction that I later changed it to by re-recording it in flight? But doesn't that mean this forward direction (the new one) then becomes the "recorded forward direction"?

What I should have tried, and am itching to try now, is to repeat the original experiment showing how the Phantom automatically switches from HL to CL when returning within the 10 metre boundary, but then continue flying and re-orient the recorded forward direction while in flight to a different new course direction, then repeat the HL test pulling back on the stick until the Phantom comes back inside the 10 metre boundary.

Don't the weather gods know I'd rather be out flying? It's supposed to be the first day of spring today! What's up with that?
Can't help with this one today - winds at 20 gusting to 28mph in Chicago area, and cold to boot. FIRST DAY OF SPRING Bah Humbug!
Mar 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
FIRST DAY OF SPRING Bah Humbug!
Same here in Oregon! I have family in Illinois though. Heard it sux.
Mar 20, 2013, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingskwerrl View Post
Same here in Oregon! I have family in Illinois though. Heard it sux.
Toronto even worse.. -11c with wind chill.. grrrrrr and i got my new FPV setup all ready to go...

stupid winter that won't go away!!!
Mar 20, 2013, 01:41 PM
Flying Noob...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInSpain View Post

Cheers,

Dan
Exact same case as the Duratool for $40 shipped, wonder if the nicer foam is worth $140.... ouch!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick Reply