Mar 13, 2013, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al P View Post
Also, once it returns within 30 feet of me, it is no longer in HL mode ? Does it automatically return to whatever mode I was originally flying ?
It switches from Home Lock (HL) to Course Lock (CL) once it's back within 30 feet. That could get confusing depending on which direction (Course) was set to.

Once the Phantom is safely back within sight, you can simply turn the IOC switch Off.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2013, 08:46 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57 View Post
It switches from Home Lock (HL) to Course Lock (CL) once it's back within 30 feet. That could get confusing depending on which direction (Course) was set to.

Once the Phantom is safely back within sight, you can simply turn the IOC switch Off.
Thank you for pointing this out. Now I recall reading this in the manual. Yes I agree this could be confusing and would likely switch IOC to off.
Mar 13, 2013, 09:04 AM
Quote:

Read what the advanced manual says about this carefully! (Page 9) It says, "When you are flying in home lock mode, if the aircraft is back within 10m range around the home point, or you switch into atti mode or the GPs signal becomes weak, the MC will fly in course lock by the current forward direction automatically.But this forward direction is NOT the recorded forward direction. If you switch into course lock now, the MC will fly in course lock using the earlier recorded forward direction.
Joe C
Mar 13, 2013, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1000 View Post
"When you are flying in home lock mode, if the aircraft is back within 10m range around the home point, or you switch into atti mode or the GPs signal becomes weak, the MC will fly in course lock by the current forward direction automatically.But this forward direction is NOT the recorded forward direction. If you switch into course lock now, the MC will fly in course lock using the earlier recorded forward direction.
Joe C
Oh wow. I missed that altogether. Curious, I wonder what the current forward direction actually is?

Is that direction that the nose is currently pointed? Or is it the direction of current travel?

Let's say the camera and nose is pointing to the left in relation to you standing at the Home position. In HL you pull back on the stick. The Phantom will come straight back to you, all the while with the nose and camera still pointing away to the left.

What happens if you are still pulling back on the stick as it comes inside the 10m range?

Will it;
  1. go left,
  2. go right,
  3. continue coming closer, or
  4. reverse and head further away?
I'm itching to go out and try this now.
Mar 13, 2013, 10:06 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
That's the part in the instructions that confuses me too. Looking forward to your test flight report.
Mar 13, 2013, 10:06 AM
Empire Support

Hl? Cl?

Quote:

What happens if you are still pulling back on the stick as it comes inside the 10m range?

Will it;
  1. go left,
  2. go right,
-And-
What happens when the 10m radius is crossed again?
Back in HL, I presume?

With Naza, you really can't assume anything until you try it.
A poster (Huttonlt) is experimenting with resetting Home Point while airborne (over on the Naza GPS thread), then initiating RTH, and is finding some unexpected results...
Mar 13, 2013, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Oh wow. I missed that altogether. Curious, I wonder what the current forward direction actually is?

Is that direction that the nose is currently pointed? Or is it the direction of current travel?

Let's say the camera and nose is pointing to the left in relation to you standing at the Home position. In HL you pull back on the stick. The Phantom will come straight back to you, all the while with the nose and camera still pointing away to the left.

Will it;
  1. go left,
  2. go right,
Mine reversed and headed away but I think the front of the quad was facing toward me at the time, and I was pulling back on the stick, so I did not think much of it. I now just plan to turn IOC off when it gets near enough to see orientation.

But I agree with "itching to try this out right now" as I will use any excuse to fly it. Too bad it is freezing out, the winds are 20+ mph, and I have to work.
Mar 13, 2013, 10:09 AM
Course Lock is extremely useful. I've been playing with that more and more.

When you first power up the Phantom it'll go through its warm-up sequence. At some point after the red LED has stopped flashing, indicating it has successfully locked onto six or more GPS satellites, you will see a rapid long string of green LED flashes. Note, that's not the repeated cycle of 4 green flashes which would indicate a need for recalibration using the Assistant software. It's just a one-time long burst of quick green flashes.

That string of green flashes indicates that the Phantom has successfully recorded its Home position, and its Course direction as the direction it is currently facing in.

You can change each of those later while in flight. For example, let's say you want to record the action on a football field while flying up and down along the sidelines of the field. You could line the Phantom up before startup by setting it on the ground with its nose aligned with the edge of the football field. It'll then record that Course direction when first powered up.

Or you can change it in flight, by hovering or flying with the nose pointing along the sideline of the field. It's best to do this in an orientation where you can actually see the indicator LED on the Phantom. Then toggle the IOC switch quickly between Off and CL 3 to 5 times. A rapid sequence of green LED flashes confirms the new Course has been recorded. After that, with the IOC switch set to CL, moving the pitch stick up or down moves the Phantom forward or back along that new Course line. Left or Right moves it perpendicular left or right away from that line. Yaw left or right allows you to keep your camera aimed where ever you choose.

The beauty of using CL is that the Phantom will always move in a completely predictable direction, in relation to the defined Course line, regardless of whichever direction the Phantom and camera happens to be pointing. You never need to worry about whether it's going to move left or right, or right or left, depending on whether it's facing toward or away from you. It's brilliant!

You can similarly change the Home position while in flight by toggling the IOC switch quickly 3 to 5 times between CL and HL. Confirmation is again by the rapidly flashing green LED. You could set your new Home position to be the centre of the football field. Then, with the IOC switch in HL, up or down on the control stick moves the Phantom further out, or closer in, to the centre of the field. Left or Right orbits the Phantom in a circle left or right around the centre of the field, (as long as you stay 30 feet or more out from the centre!).

The only caveat with changing Home position while in flight like this is, in the event of a fail-safe return-to-home function being activated, the Phantom will then return to land in the middle of the football field. That may not be such a good idea if there's a game going on at the time, eh.
Mar 13, 2013, 10:21 AM
For you guys, who have a f450 quad and a phantom, what do you have more fun with ? Just wondering.
Mar 13, 2013, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1000 View Post
This thing looks great but I'd like to know where it falls in the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. Have you seen an tests yet? I wonder if it just stays in a receive mode until its pinged, or does it transmit continuously?
Joe C
No idea where it is in the 2.4Ghz range but it probably doesn't matter because, yes, it just receives until it is pinged by the Finder.

Works through walls to a certain extent if very close. Read of someone tracking down a downed AR.Drone to a house. Knocked on door. "No, not seen one" "Well, this Tracker says otherwise..."
Mar 13, 2013, 10:24 AM
Quote:

Will it;
  1. go left,
  2. go right,
I'm going to predict it will,
b. go right.
If the nose if pointing to the left as I'm pulling back on the stick in HL, as it crosses the 10m boundary and automatically switches to CL, the current forward direction is pointing off to the left. Continuing to pull back on the stick should therefore make the Phantom suddenly change direction to the right as CL kicks in and the Phantom backs up along the new Course line.

I'm also going to guess that when CL automatically kicks in, it's going to stay in CL mode and not revert to HL again as it leaves the 10m boundary.

In Northbound's case, where the nose was pointing at him in Home position, the Phantom reversed and backed away when it crossed the 10m boundary. That's consistent, as the new Course direction would be pointed at him. Continuing to pull back on the stick made it suddenly reverse direction and move away. If it would automatically oscillate between HL/CL/HL/... at the 10m radius, the Phantom would wobble back and forth trying to make up its mind if you stay pulling back on the stick.
Mar 13, 2013, 10:25 AM
Living and Learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
No idea where it is in the 2.4Ghz range but it probably doesn't matter because, yes, it just receives until it is pinged by the Finder.

Works through walls to a certain extent if very close. Read of someone tracking down a downed AR.Drone to a house. Knocked on door. "No, not seen one" "Well, this Tracker says otherwise..."
Gotta keep something in mind here: These frequencies start to reflect off of objects more than they penetrate. What this means is that you can (gross oversimplification) think of a beam of light with a few various objects with a partial mirror coating; You don't know the origination but you have a detector and as you walk around, the source SEEMS to come from different directions here and there. It can lead you to think the source is where it is actually not.

Be VERY sure before you go walking onto somebody's private property and knocking on their door.
Mar 13, 2013, 10:50 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire-eyes View Post
Gotta keep something in mind here: These frequencies start to reflect off of objects more than they penetrate. What this means is that you can (gross oversimplification) think of a beam of light with a few various objects with a partial mirror coating; You don't know the origination but you have a detector and as you walk around, the source SEEMS to come from different directions here and there. It can lead you to think the source is where it is actually not.

Be VERY sure before you go walking onto somebody's private property and knocking on their door.
I find it gets absorbed more than reflected - had the range shorten, but never moved 30feet to the left - or the reflections point the signal away from the tracker so it never sees them, and you'd be surprised how directionally accurate it is. First thing you do when you get one is ask someone else to hide the tag in the house. It can tell you if something is upstairs or down quite easily. When close enough, accuracy is one inch.

Anyway, veering OT now, but it's cheaper than GPS alternatives (get them too if you have the money: belt and braces) and better than a beeper, which only works a) at fairly close range and b) if the crash wasn't so bad that the battery - along with other semi-detachable parts - didn't separate from the craft on impact. Also, noise makers alert other people to your craft and you might not get to it before they do...
Mar 13, 2013, 10:59 AM

Hero 3 filter holder

Hi all
Does any one know where to obtain a filter holder like this?

Hero3 Filter Frame (1 min 34 sec)
Mar 13, 2013, 11:11 AM
Empire Support

@Zbip57

"That string of green flashes indicates that the Phantom has successfully recorded its Home position, and its Course direction as the direction it is currently facing in."

Check the Naza Manual:
Home position is recorded when you have 6 or more satellites and you raise the throttle for the first time.
The rapid green only indicates that a forward direction was recorded for CL.
We went through several pages of posts over on the Naza GPS thread sorting this out...

Quick Reply