Thread Tools
Mar 12, 2013, 08:30 PM
Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconslt View Post
Hey guys,

Need a little help! I finally got a chance to work on my new Phantom. I balanced my motors and props and put it back together. Now, when I plug the battery in with the radio turned on, I get all sorts of lights initially then after the IMU is warmed up and it has located more than six satelites, I get a green light followed by 4 rapid flashing green lights if in GPS. Otherwise if in ATTI I get a yellow light followed by 4 rapid flashing green lights. According to the light chart, it says that it "usually means that the Phantom is not sitting firmly on the floor, so unplug it and start it up again". I have down that now four times with the same results. One green or yellow light followed by 4 rapid flashing green lights. What should I do next? Thanks.

Richard
IMU Basic Calibration is needed...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2013, 11:05 PM
Registered User
branflakes's Avatar
I just took my rig to kinkos to weigh

During build I had no idea... 2.15 lbs pretty cool. Leaves room for one HD wing cam II from hobbyking and ill be at about 1075 grams, not too bad.

Rig has heavy old 900mhz gear and lp filter
Sep video battery internal mod, switch and balance plug comes out the back chassis access
Fiber optic mod to see led in the fpv cam during night flights
Heavy turnigy 45/90 batt

This thing carries payload well good job dji
DJI Phantom Fiber Optic Mod (0 min 43 sec)
Mar 12, 2013, 11:09 PM
Registered User
branflakes's Avatar
Fiber optic vibrates a little in flight but does show colors brightly
Mar 13, 2013, 12:22 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Branflakes - love the stick for the fiber-optic
Mar 13, 2013, 12:29 AM
Registered User
branflakes's Avatar
Hey thanks its white coat hanger wire, white shrink wrap and some fiber optic line for night lighting
Mar 13, 2013, 02:26 AM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account

High Gain Antenna Mod


I got around to testing the Phantom TX output and while I was at it I put in a low loss coax cable with an RP SMA bulkhead connector so I could change out from a 3dB, 5dB and 7dB antenna based on the type of flying I would be doing. I was a bit surprised that it was a 15dB-16dB TX

At 2.4GHz, you double your gain with every 3dB increase.

3dB for altitude
5dB for all around distance
7dB for long distance



Mar 13, 2013, 05:57 AM
Made in Germany
Nice mod for my HGT collection. Are the 5/7dB claims of the antenna sellers usually true ?
Mar 13, 2013, 06:15 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire-eyes View Post
Also, how and where are you mounting yours? Have you figured out a way to get it to survive water?
Just stick it inside anywhere with either velcro or the little sticky tab that comes with it. Tags only 5g and the size of a jellybean. If you think you'll get it wet, they also sell Silicone Splashproof covers for them for attaching to Pets. The Dog type cover would be the most appropriate, as the Cat one is for a collar to go through it. Although even simpler is a small ziplock bag taped shut. Works on 2.4Ghz, but does not interfere and battery works for months, so will still be beeping long after all your other batteries have died - in under an hour.

Range is 400ft line of sight, but considering you'll probably know approximately where it went down, but wont be able to see it 20ft in front of you due to other obstacles - like a field of corn - is probably adequate. Or if you want to get serious, see this story.

(7 min 6 sec)
Mar 13, 2013, 06:40 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Just stick it inside anywhere with either velcro or the little sticky tab that comes with it. Tags only 5g and the size of a jellybean. If you think you'll get it wet, they also sell Silicone Splashproof covers for them for attaching to Pets. The Dog type cover would be the most appropriate, as the Cat one is for a collar to go through it. Although even simpler is a small ziplock bag taped shut. Works on 2.4Ghz, but does not interfere and battery works for months, so will still be beeping long after all your other batteries have died - in under an hour.

Range is 400ft line of sight, but considering you'll probably know approximately where it went down, but wont be able to see it 20ft in front of you due to other obstacles - like a field of corn - is probably adequate. Or if you want to get serious, see this story.

This thing looks great but I'd like to know where it falls in the 2.4 Ghz spectrum. Have you seen an tests yet? I wonder if it just stays in a receive mode until its pinged, or does it transmit continuously?
Joe C
Last edited by flyboy1000; Mar 13, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
Mar 13, 2013, 07:38 AM
SEMPER FI
JUCD VPR's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL View Post
Thought I would share my latest attempt at buzzing around. This time I shot at 2.7k and I tried Mercalli dozens of times and it kept crashing on two particular frames... searched all over and tried a ton of different settings and nothing helped. Gave up and tried warp and after 7 hours of analysis and rendering I think the results are pretty decent. I'll upload the original 2.7k to my youtube channel once it renders out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HQz5...ature=youtu.be
Awesome video! The flying was great and I loved the slow shots towards the sunrise and the shimmering water. It looked almost magical. I'd love some more info on your DIY Gimble.
Mar 13, 2013, 07:44 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN

Home-Lock Mode


According to the manual, if I get four blinking green lights while the Phantom is initializing, then finally one green blink that repeats, it's ready to fly and as soon as I get over 30 feet away I can switch to HL and no matter what the aircraft orientation is, pulling back on the right stick will bring it back to me ? Is this correct ?
Mar 13, 2013, 07:47 AM
Registered User
branflakes's Avatar
Only if you have turned on the IOC with a computer first
Mar 13, 2013, 08:02 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
Only if you have turned on the IOC with a computer first
Yes, I did activate the IOC when connected to the PC.

Also, once it returns within 30 feet of me, it is no longer in HL mode ? Does it automatically return to whatever mode I was originally flying ?

Thanks.
Mar 13, 2013, 08:16 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al P View Post
Yes, I did activate the IOC when connected to the PC.

Also, once it returns within 30 feet of me, it is no longer in HL mode ? Does it automatically return to whatever mode I was originally flying ?

Thanks.
Mine seemed to. The front was facing me, I was pulling back on the right stick in HL. It got wthin 30 feet and must have switched out of home lock, which made it start backing away from me. I only use HL if I were to lose orientation so that once is the only time I had HL on closer than 30 feet..
Mar 13, 2013, 08:28 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound View Post
Mine seemed to. The front was facing me, I was pulling back on the right stick in HL. It got wthin 30 feet and must have switched out of home lock, which made it start backing away from me. I only use HL if I were to lose orientation so that once is the only time I had HL on closer than 30 feet..
It's a very useful feature and I anticipate using it under those same circumstances.

Thanks.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Quadcopter Frame BUILD Thread Quad_Addict Multirotor Drone Talk 78 Mar 17, 2014 10:20 PM
Mini-HowTo POSTING VIDEO: How to Upgrade a Gaui 330x quadcopter with a DJI NAZA Lucidity47 Multirotor Drone Talk 5 Jun 07, 2012 12:31 AM
Video Multiwii Quadcopter Dji F-450 frame Updated Video Anda Inc. Electric Heli Talk 1 May 23, 2012 02:51 PM
Discussion DJI S800 Spreading Wings has landed at Quadcopters UK Headquarters QuadcoptersUk Multirotor Drone Talk 8 May 14, 2012 01:27 PM