Mar 12, 2013, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmendo01 View Post
I see. I set my alarm at 5Mins of FPV flying, and when I return about a minute or 2 later I get the LED voltage alarm. How long is your average FPV flight?
its around 5 minutes now... my batteries are taking less mAh to charge these days. I've been keeping track. The 2700mAh batteries used to take around 1800mAh to full charge, now only packing in 1200mAh or less.

I assume it's because there is a greater load on the battery in flight so the voltage reads lower and forces me to land. Does that make any sense? Current loaded quad weight is 1083g.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2013, 06:21 PM
5mars
Hello, I share you my last work with some phantom (+rx100) aerial shots. I tried to render the fantasy sprit of Brittany landscapes.
(2 min 30 sec)
Mar 12, 2013, 06:42 PM
Empire Support

Overweight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL View Post
its around 5 minutes now... my batteries are taking less mAh to charge these days. I've been keeping track. The 2700mAh batteries used to take around 1800mAh to full charge, now only packing in 1200mAh or less.

I assume it's because there is a greater load on the battery in flight so the voltage reads lower and forces me to land. Does that make any sense? Current loaded quad weight is 1083g.
Phantom's published weight specification is <1000g.
Being 8% overweight can't be helping...
Mar 12, 2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:

Nice, mine weighs 2.4lbs (1088.62g) with immersion 5.8Ghz 600Mw Fatshark Camera and GoPro Camera with the waterproof casing. Maybe I should ditch the case and use the "frame" GoPro housing to lighten my load.
Mar 12, 2013, 06:49 PM
Quote:
FPV makes it so much easier to frame shots well, and filming is the reason why I got the Phantom. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

And thanks!
I enjoy your videos and the way you are using this quad, mine just got delivered yesterday, I hope I can get as good as you one day. thanks for posting.
Mar 12, 2013, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Phantom's published weight specification is <1000g.
Being 8% overweight can't be helping...
Yeah I know... going to try and figure out how to shave some weight!
Mar 12, 2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Landing View Post
I enjoy your videos and the way you are using this quad, mine just got delivered yesterday, I hope I can get as good as you one day. thanks for posting.
Thank you for commenting. Just practice and you'll get it, have fun!
Mar 12, 2013, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Thanks Guys! Problem is now I have a video backlog, I need to work on improving my workflow! I appreciate the support. And a Phantom video thread sounds like a fine idea.

JC - I assume I banged up the motor in a crash, but I'm honestly not sure. All I know is that it sounded weird and when I powered down the quad that motor stopped spinning in about half the time it took for the others to stop. I happen to have an extra motor from a warranty return on an ESC when I first got the Phantom (crashed into a pool). The ESC came with a motor which I kept as a spare. The problem with the motor didn't seem to effect image quality, just reduced flight times slightly.
Don't take this the wrong way, but it gives me hope hearing you had a few crashes before you learned such good FPV control. At my skill level so far if I tried the flight you did my Phantom would have had a couple tree strikes, a swim in the pool, and or a salt water bath. I keep it in the air but am still iffy at judging distance to objects and throttle control.

Nice flying and nice video!
Mar 12, 2013, 07:16 PM
Empire Support

Phantom Diet

Quote:
Yeah I know... going to try and figure out how to shave some weight!
I flew my F450 with GoPro and gimbal at just over max weight.
It's a tribute to DJI that these airframes have such outstanding lifting capacities.
I'm sure that your 8% overweight condition is still within their safety factored limits or you'd have reduced control.
Right now the over-weight condition is manifesting itself in earlier than usual battery warnings and reduced flight times.
Most power calculators suggest that AUW not exceed 80% max thrust.
This gives you 20% thrust with which to maneuver.
I'd start monitoring motor temperatures.
If you can't leave your hand on a warm motor, you've got trouble.
I was pulling so many amps (4S) with the F450 that my EC3 battery connector failed.
This was one of my two big crashes.
I then moved up to EC5 connectors.

Eventually, something will prematurely fail if you over-tax the power system.
When that will be is unpredictable.
The best plan is a diet...
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Mar 12, 2013 at 07:23 PM.
Mar 12, 2013, 07:46 PM
Hey guys,

Need a little help! I finally got a chance to work on my new Phantom. I balanced my motors and props and put it back together. Now, when I plug the battery in with the radio turned on, I get all sorts of lights initially then after the IMU is warmed up and it has located more than six satelites, I get a green light followed by 4 rapid flashing green lights if in GPS. Otherwise if in ATTI I get a yellow light followed by 4 rapid flashing green lights. According to the light chart, it says that it "usually means that the Phantom is not sitting firmly on the floor, so unplug it and start it up again". I have down that now four times with the same results. One green or yellow light followed by 4 rapid flashing green lights. What should I do next? Thanks.

Richard
Mar 12, 2013, 07:51 PM
AMA 937634
It may help to plug it into your computer and do and advanced IMU calibration.

I was having the same problem and that seemed to have cleared it up for me.

-Mike
Mar 12, 2013, 07:57 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Thought I would share my latest attempt at buzzing around. This time I shot at 2.7k and I tried Mercalli dozens of times and it kept crashing on two particular frames... searched all over and tried a ton of different settings and nothing helped. Gave up and tried warp and after 7 hours of analysis and rendering I think the results are pretty decent. I'll upload the original 2.7k to my youtube channel once it renders out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HQz5...ature=youtu.be
Killer flying Tom and a nice view to wake up to.
Mar 12, 2013, 08:04 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I was pulling so many amps (4S) with the F450 that my EC3 battery connector failed.
This was one of my two big crashes.
I then moved up to EC5 connectors.
I'm considering silver soldering my F550 connectors after testing the ESC's first on the scope for issues.

My F450 flipped out of the air the other day onto a soft artificial turf and I am still trying to figure out why. I was flying in ATTI and the second I flipped to GPS if fell like a rock. The only 2 things that I see are one motor connector was unplugged and the GPS tape gave away.

So either the GPS fell off the pedestal and as soon as I flipped to GPS mode it had had bad data going into the NAZA or the motor connector unplugged at that same time.
Mar 12, 2013, 08:07 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconslt View Post
Hey guys,

Need a little help! I finally got a chance to work on my new Phantom. I balanced my motors and props and put it back together. Now, when I plug the battery in with the radio turned on, I get all sorts of lights initially then after the IMU is warmed up and it has located more than six satelites, I get a green light followed by 4 rapid flashing green lights if in GPS. Otherwise if in ATTI I get a yellow light followed by 4 rapid flashing green lights. According to the light chart, it says that it "usually means that the Phantom is not sitting firmly on the floor, so unplug it and start it up again". I have down that now four times with the same results. One green or yellow light followed by 4 rapid flashing green lights. What should I do next? Thanks.

Richard
The multiple green flashes means the IMU has warmed up but that is around seven flashes and doesn't keep repeating. I am also thinking an advanced cal followed by a manual cal is in order.
Mar 12, 2013, 08:12 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
That was predictable!
HighGainTuning, behave yourself!
I don't know which to comment on first...

The Chinglish, Lack of documented diagnostics or the changing to the manual without proof.

Either way, it does nothing for their sales. Most camera stores selling the Phantom are doing so as an Aerial video device and nothing more.

Quick Reply