Mar 12, 2013, 11:00 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Flight View Post
Perhaps he misspoke but until DJI says otherwise, I'm really hoping to see this for the Phantom soon.
My un-educated guess, NAZA as a product category is likely not setup for multiple waypoints, it operate with saving one. which can then be used for either RTH or POI if reset in flight.

The WKM / WKH / ACE is available with waypoint navigation, which is offered in I think 5 waypoints and up to 50. (crop survey can use this to cover a area with a IR cam for pest control) pretty sure the iOS waypoint interface have been announced, it uses a dedicated radio link in flight, and then BT4 to talk to the ground-station. adding the BT4 to the ground-station makes good sense. but considering NAZA do not already have a ground-station, or the capability.. I doubt its in the cards in the near future.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2013, 11:05 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
They added this to the newest manual:

17. If you use your own equipment(for example: GoPro3), please make sure the WiFi function is disabled, to
avoid the interference on the transmitter, which may cause the PHANTOM to FailSafe, crack and or even to
fly away.
That was predictable!
HighGainTuning, behave yourself!
Mar 12, 2013, 11:38 AM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
These are on offer at the moment, £10 off. Buy two (with a friend?), get free postage (in the UK anyway) http://www.loc8tor.com/uk/primary-pr...tor-lite.html/

Best investment you'll make.
That only has a range of 100' if the Phantom is grounded. Those are for pinpointing an object, not locating it.
Mar 12, 2013, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
That only has a range of 100' if the Phantom is grounded. Those are for pinpointing an object, not locating it.
The website says 122 meters (quite precise!) in open space.. probably not enough for my needs. If its gets lost, its probably further than that and beyond a tree or hill. The BLUtracker looks cool though, half-mile range. Going to research that some more.

I have wanted something like this ever since I lost my Phantom (it was returned.) Speaking of which, if you haven't done so already, go put a sticker on your Phantom with your name and phone number on it right NOW. Its free, and it might save your Phantom (like it did mine).
Mar 12, 2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Flight View Post
Oh .. its only in development stage . When is your pre-order expected to ship?
Mar 12, 2013, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
I have used one of these for 4yrs and on time I lost my fixed wing in the Columbia River Gorge area and we could not find it. Took a Cessna up and flew over the area at 500-600' with my hand out the window and 5mins later the ground crew found it. So i have to say they work.
Mar 12, 2013, 12:02 PM
Suspended Account
BLUtracker looks like a great possibility but not a lot of details on it and seems none have shipped yet.
Mar 12, 2013, 12:06 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelm View Post
The website says 122 meters (quite precise!) in open space.. probably not enough for my needs. If its gets lost, its probably further than that and beyond a tree or hill.
It is using Bluetooth technology. Very low powered for longer battery life. Bluetooth is a form of WiFi and does not travel through or around objects. It is a clear line of sight (CLS) frequency. This picture is a better example. If the locator is on the legs and the Phantom lands on its top in a bare open field you will have the best chance of finding it but you will still have to get within that range.

If it lands in a neighborhood behind just (1) wooden fence or worse yet, someone finds it before you and takes it indoors, kiss your phantom, accessories and the locator goodby.

It will be better if you use it for finding your Phantom if you have a wife that is hiding it to get more personal time with you.
Mar 12, 2013, 12:11 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmlog09 View Post
I have used one of these for 4yrs and on time I lost my fixed wing in the Columbia River Gorge area and we could not find it. Took a Cessna up and flew over the area at 500-600' with my hand out the window and 5mins later the ground crew found it. So i have to say they work.
That's because you had a CLS to it from the sky....
I am assuming the Cessna was a big help
Mar 12, 2013, 12:12 PM
Suspended Account
The Loc8tor GPS might be a better option for RC use perhaps:
http://www.loc8tor.com/primary-produ...-tracker.html/

Although it involves a monthly fee which is a downside.
Mar 12, 2013, 12:12 PM
Registered User / FAA107
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelm View Post
Oh .. its only in development stage . When is your pre-order expected to ship?
Just says "April".

I will do some testing on it around neighborhoods and behind fences when I get it.
Mar 12, 2013, 12:18 PM
Suspended Account
Also this but it is a bit more pricey.
http://theplanelocator.com/rcplane/index.html
Mar 12, 2013, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
These are on offer at the moment, £10 off. Buy two (with a friend?), get free postage (in the UK anyway) http://www.loc8tor.com/uk/primary-pr...tor-lite.html/

Best investment you'll make.
Here's another one that I preordered last month. It seems this new Bluetooth ver 4 is the reason they claim such a long range. This one works with your smart phone and is small enough to put on a micro quad.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/st...ame=sticknfind
Mar 12, 2013, 12:20 PM
Thought I would share my latest attempt at buzzing around. This time I shot at 2.7k and I tried Mercalli dozens of times and it kept crashing on two particular frames... searched all over and tried a ton of different settings and nothing helped. Gave up and tried warp and after 7 hours of analysis and rendering I think the results are pretty decent. I'll upload the original 2.7k to my youtube channel once it renders out.

Sunrise FPV Flying - Dji Phantom - GoPro Hero3 - 2.7k - DIY Tilit axis gimbal - Warp Stabilized (5 min 22 sec)
Mar 12, 2013, 12:22 PM
and on the subject of finding quads, I was thinking that if you are using a transmitter with extra channels, you could install an alarm on a switch. If its loud enough you should hear it from a distance and it would probably be way cheaper.

A good low battery alarm might even do the trick. Don't know for how long they go though before draining the battery.

Quick Reply