DJI Phantom Quadcopter - Page 399 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 11, 2013, 12:25 PM
SEMPER FI
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1000
I have used this battery in other aircraft with very good success. It is a 2600 mah battery so it should be an 18% time improvement over the standard battery, and it fits in the Phantom with no problems. You will have to change the plug to an XT60. Just ordered two for my Phantom.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...600mah-3s.html

Joe C
I just ordered two also. Thanks for the link!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2013, 01:09 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning
I need someone to start printing some housings... I doubt DJI will sell just the housing the NAZA GPS uses.

I did a Carbon Fiber water transfer print on my F550 GPS.
HighGain, thats a awesome looking transfer. What did you do with the loose compass.? stick it back in with the GPS and retro grade to the regular NAZA flavor.?
Mar 11, 2013, 01:50 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
While it appears that the Phantom Tx frequencies do not coincide with the GoPro WiFi, is it possible that the close proximity of the Rx to the GoPro WiFi could cause the Rx front end to be overloaded? I *assume* there's some kind of AGC on the Rx and I've no idea just how narrow the Rx bandpass is, and whether it is sensitive to off-frequency signals.

I may have the F330 with the Phantom TX/RX setup here for a while and can take it out beyond the TX distance with the GoPro 3 WiFi on to see what it does.... Weather Permitting What I would like to see is it go into RTH as it quits responding as it should. I can do this on the ground without flight just by watching for the LED to start flashing yellow. This will lessen how far I will need to get from the TX and I can lay the Phantom antenna right up next top the GoPro.

Again, the GoPro has a short 600' LOS connectivity and latency gets worse and worse so I see no reason why anyone would fly with the GoPro WiFi on past its useful distance unless they forget that it is on.

The Phantom does not have an AGC on its receiver. It is very weak and out of the box I am guessing <10mW. I can solder a connector to it and put it on my equipment to see what its output is... may do that tonight if I have time. I believe the TX has an u.fl connector so I can check it's TX power as well. You can get RX and TX modules up to 250mW without the need of AGC today so until you start pushing past a 500mW RX/TX you rarely see AGC. Before I started manufacturing WioFi Radios and Antennas (High-Gain Antennas LLC) AGC's were very common but they are also very expensive yet today. I have a 1000mW AGC controlled amp on my AR Drone and the amp alone is $400.00

The GoPros frequency band is very wide where as the Phantom TX is extremely thin as it should be in RC. If anything, the GoPro will get interference from a dozen other household APs before the Phantom bothers it of vice-versa.
Mar 11, 2013, 01:53 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire-eyes
The thing that makes me nervous is its rejection capabilities. It's sort of like amateur radios: Base station vs mobile vs HT... Weight etc (and cost heh) doesn't matter much on the base station, it's going to have heavy duty rejection. Mobile, it's got some but not nearly as much. HT is going to have very little to save on weight, cost, and size.

So then we have this tiny weight sensitive package on the phantom, and I wonder about its rejection capabilities. Harmonics etc could come into play?
The Phantom is relying on a tight frequency TX/RX. That is its only rejection. It is not a frequency hopping system. I would be more worried about multiple Phantoms out at the same flying field. That will put it in the ground faster than anything else.
Mar 11, 2013, 01:56 PM
Quote:

The GoPros frequency band is very wide where as the Phantom TX is extremely thin as it should be in RC. If anything, the GoPro will get interference from a dozen other household APs before the Phantom bothers it of vice-versa.
Tell others about this ... most think GoPro wifi is narrow band and not bleeding over.
@HighGain, my home location is stated as always.
Mar 11, 2013, 01:59 PM
SEMPER FI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR
OK so my Fat Shark Dominators will be at my house after work today! I want to get it set-up and fly FPV so badly, i've been waiting forever for HK shipping I'm trying my best to be patient.

So far I have the following equipment but i'm still baffled by where the heck the darn Go Pro plugs in for power to my video? Maybe once it gets in I will understand by looking at it but I'm not sure if I need another connector or what?
More so what connector goes on the "Loose" wire and WHERE does that plug into?

I will be using a Go Pro Hero 2 for my FPV video.

-Fat Shark Dominator Goggles
-5.8Ghz ImmersionRC Audio/Video Transmitter - FatShark compatible (600mw)
-Go Pro 1, 2 FPV 2.5mm AV cable ready for FPV
-5.8 GHz Circular Wireless Omni TX/RX Skew Planar Wheel Combo (58G-CW-SPW-COMBO)
Can anyone answer my question above?

I'm not sure if I need another connector or what?

This is the only thing I am confused about on setting up my FPV Dominators to run my Go Pro Video...

Ok update, I semi-found the answer but still not 100% sure what connector I NEED to do this. I'm at work so IF i need to go to the hobby shop I need to do it before I head home for the day as the hobbyshop is 30 min further away from my house so if I get home and don;t have it then it's over an hour to the nearest hobby shop. or wait several more days for the postal mail to order a connector.

alternatively, pop open the box, pull the GREY loose AUX cable which DJI already installed in the Phantom, down through the front right leg hole, exactly the same way the antenna and compass cables come out of the phantom.. then solder a connector....(WHAT TYPE OF CONNECTOR???) to the end of the cable once it is out of the box so you can plug it straight into the FPV system (the VTX to be exact) no soldering required in the Phantom box or board, just pull the cable they left in there and named AUX, check the advanced manual, it is grey and loose in the one end, and there is only one, so its hard to confuse.
Last edited by JUCD VPR; Mar 11, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Mar 11, 2013, 02:05 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen
HighGain, thats a awesome looking transfer. What did you do with the loose compass.? stick it back in with the GPS and retro grade to the regular NAZA flavor.?
Bo... The compass is built into the NAZA GPS on the one in the pic, External on the Phantom GPS. I find the Phantom setup with its external compass much more accurate than the NAZA setup so I won't be putting it back on the GPS PCB.
Mar 11, 2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Again, the GoPro has a short 600' LOS connectivity and latency gets worse and worse so I see no reason why anyone would fly with the GoPro WiFi on past its useful distance unless they forget that it is on.
That is what I have been thinking during this whole controversy. I do not have a GoPro yet, but cannot one just reach down and push a button on it to start recording instead of leaving the WiFi on?

Also seems like with the WiFi turned off the GoPro might draw less juice?
Mar 11, 2013, 02:11 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw
Tell others about this ... most think GoPro wifi is narrow band and not bleeding over.
Just point them to this Spectrum analysis. Look at how bad the GoPro bleeds over to other channels compared to the Devo 10.

Mar 11, 2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
OK so my Fat Shark Dominators will be at my house after work today! I want to get it set-up and fly FPV so badly, i've been waiting forever for HK shipping I'm trying my best to be patient.

So far I have the following equipment but i'm still baffled by where the heck the darn Go Pro plugs in for power to my video? Maybe once it gets in I will understand by looking at it but I'm not sure if I need another connector or what?

I will be using a Go Pro Hero 2 for my FPV video.

-Fat Shark Dominator Goggles
-5.8Ghz ImmersionRC Audio/Video Transmitter - FatShark compatible (600mw)
-Go Pro 1, 2 FPV 2.5mm AV cable ready for FPV
-5.8 GHz Circular Wireless Omni TX/RX Skew Planar Wheel Combo (58G-CW-SPW-COMBO)
Your a/v transmitter will come with a power lead. It will have the 2-pin connector for the vtx on one side and pretty sure it has just snipped wires on the other. Connect those to the "loose" phantom wires. grey->black, red->red. That will power your vtx. Then you have the a/v input to the vtx. Thats a 5 pin connector. It has viideo,left,right,audio, power, ground. Video shares the same ground as power. Hopefully the Go Pro 1, 2 FPV 2.5mm AV cable ready for FPV you bought is the right one but I can't be sure. I have a Hero3 so the cable is a little different. Hope this helps..
Mar 11, 2013, 02:19 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound
That is what I have been thinking during this whole controversy. I do not have a GoPro yet, but cannot one just reach down and push a button on it to start recording instead of leaving the WiFi on?

Also seems like with the WiFi turned off the GoPro might draw less juice?
I think people are using the WiFi to snap pics. Other then that I wish they had a Black / no wifi option as it has no value to myself.
Mar 11, 2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Can anyone answer my question above?

I'm not sure if I need another connector or what?

This is the only thing I am confused about on setting up my FPV Dominators to run my Go Pro Video...

Ok update, I semi-found the answer but still not 100% sure what connector I NEED to do this. I'm at work so IF i need to go to the hobby shop I need to do it before I head home for the day as the hobbyshop is 30 min further away from my house so if I get home and don;t have it then it's over an hour to the nearest hobby shop. or wait several more days for the postal mail to order a connector.

alternatively, pop open the box, pull the GREY loose AUX cable which DJI already installed in the Phantom, down through the front right leg hole, exactly the same way the antenna and compass cables come out of the phantom.. then solder a connector....(WHAT TYPE OF CONNECTOR???) to the end of the cable once it is out of the box so you can plug it straight into the FPV system (the VTX to be exact) no soldering required in the Phantom box or board, just pull the cable they left in there and named AUX, check the advanced manual, it is grey and loose in the one end, and there is only one, so its hard to confuse.
My 250mw predator 2 Vtx came designed to power off the Phantom battery balance connector. I got tired of hooking up the Vtx to the flight battery balance connector every time. So I disconnected the balance connector adapter from the Vtx power lead and connected the VTX power lead to the aux as you descibe. Seems to work fine off the aux.
Last edited by Northbound; Mar 11, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Mar 11, 2013, 02:24 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw
@HighGain, my home location is stated as always.
Sidney

I sent you a couple parts questions via e-mail.
Mar 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
SEMPER FI
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelm
Your a/v transmitter will come with a power lead. It will have the 2-pin connector for the vtx on one side and pretty sure it has just snipped wires on the other. Connect those to the "loose" phantom wires. grey->black, red->red. That will power your vtx. Then you have the a/v input to the vtx. Thats a 5 pin connector. It has viideo,left,right,audio, power, ground. Video shares the same ground as power. Hopefully the Go Pro 1, 2 FPV 2.5mm AV cable ready for FPV you bought is the right one but I can't be sure. I have a Hero3 so the cable is a little different. Hope this helps..
THANK YOU! Ok so I should have the 2 pin connector with my A/V transmitter. I will check that and solder the wires as you instructed. Again thanks so much for the help, i've been driving myself crazy all morning trying to figure this out! Dominators will be at my house when I get home and i'm hoping to get my first FPV flight today (thank you Spring Forward time for more daylight!) THANKS AGAIN! I owe you!
Mar 11, 2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
I think people are using the WiFi to snap pics. Other then that I wish they had a Black / no wifi option as it has no value to myself.
I see. The impression I got was that lag through the WiFi to the mobile apps at least, was enough to make it not so useful for that function.

Quick Reply