DJI Phantom Quadcopter - Page 211 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Feb 07, 2013, 12:06 PM
As seen on YouTube
HPI GUY's Avatar
I agree with you and I always say the same to everyone, I never turned off the stock controller, I tested everything before flight and tripple checked everything through the assistant software. I only trusted it on this futaba radio. (still no excuse really)

here's some extra video showing ioc allowing me to fly around whilst doing pirouettes.


Testing modes: IOC / HL / GPS / ATTI / Manual (6 min 41 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2013, 12:17 PM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen
Well, the result is
1. barely climbing with what I had in house 7x4's no point in testing these further
2. incredible smooth when I touched it in flight.

3. these were master airscrews, not flexible at all, feel almost like wood in terms of stiffness and also pretty fat cores.

4. very very cool sound...

I ordered some 8 and 9 inchers to see how it plays. the smoothness with the first flight was to the point I considered hard-mounting the GoPro this morning for kicks.
At the time, I think the reason we were having better luck with the 3-bladed props is that they were stiffer than the flimsy APCs that most were using. Not long after that, we discovered the Graupners, which are like knife blades. Eventually, we then found the Zingers, which are every bit as stiff, but only $2-$3 each. In any case, stiffer = less vibrations, period.

-- Gary
Feb 07, 2013, 12:21 PM
Lysdexic I'm
HeeBeeGeeBee's Avatar
Kinda off topic but, I was watching the World News last night and there's a discussion regarding banning drones in some states and possibly all of the states in the near future. How will this effect us? Will we simply have to drop any video or FPV gear to comply? What impact may this have on us hobbiests?
Feb 07, 2013, 12:24 PM
I never finish anyth
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeeBeeGeeBee
Kinda off topic but, I was watching the World News last night and there's a discussion regarding banning drones in some states and possibly all of the states in the near future. How will this effect us? Will we simply have to drop any video or FPV gear to comply? What impact may this have on us hobbiests?
If they leave the laws as blanket "anything in the air with a recording device" then yeah, it's game over. We need to pressure the politicians to define things better.
Feb 07, 2013, 12:26 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
At the time, I think the reason we were having better luck with the 3-bladed props is that they were stiffer than the flimsy APCs that most were using. Not long after that, we discovered the Graupners, which are like knife blades. Eventually, we then found the Zingers, which are every bit as stiff, but only $2-$3 each. In any case, stiffer = less vibrations, period.

-- Gary

You got a link for the Zingers.? figure I better spend some money with you.
Feb 07, 2013, 12:34 PM
Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar

Academy of Model Aeronautics


All I'm going to say is learn about AMA.
If you're so inclined, join.
Regardless...
Please fly safely and responsibly.


AMA 928265
Secretary - Natchez Trace Bandits
AMA 4955
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Feb 07, 2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added my affiliation...
Feb 07, 2013, 12:41 PM
Team Futaba
CSpaced's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
All I'm going to say is learn about AMA.
If you're so inclined, join.
Regardless...
Please fly safely and responsibly.
Exactly, join the AMA. They've got our backs and have a direct line to the FAA. They've been working for a very long time with the FAA and Government to protect us modelers from commercial regulation. Help support your hobby by supporting the AMA!

www.modelaircraft.org
Feb 07, 2013, 12:51 PM
Lysdexic I'm
HeeBeeGeeBee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
All I'm going to say is learn about AMA.
If you're so inclined, join.
Regardless...
Please fly safely and responsibly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced
Exactly, join the AMA. They've got our backs and have a direct line to the FAA. They've been working for a very long time with the FAA and Government to protect us modelers from commercial regulation. Help support your hobby by supporting the AMA!

www.modelaircraft.org
I am, and have been a member of the AMA for years, belong to a club and am a responsible flyer. I just think that there may be enough irresponsible flyers that may mess it up for the rest of us.

With the military and law enforcements entities putting more and more of them to use, we may fall victim as more and more irresponsible flyers are thrown in the same ring as us.

Just something to think about,
HBGB
Feb 07, 2013, 01:08 PM
Z06 Tony's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced
Exactly, join the AMA. They've got our backs and have a direct line to the FAA. They've been working for a very long time with the FAA and Government to protect us modelers from commercial regulation. Help support your hobby by supporting the AMA!

www.modelaircraft.org
+1 on the AMA.
You cannot fly at any sanctioned club/field without it as vfar as I know.
Feb 07, 2013, 03:29 PM
Registered User
What FPV do you guys recommend?
Feb 07, 2013, 03:36 PM
Registered User
Maiden of DJI Phantom, due the windy day, we had to fly inside.

Maiden of DJI Phantom (3 min 13 sec)
Feb 07, 2013, 03:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by imper
What FPV do you guys recommend?
Fatshark and immersion
Feb 07, 2013, 04:16 PM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen
You got a link for the Zingers.? figure I better spend some money with you.
zingerpropeller.com but if you PM me I'll hook you up with a set.

-- Gary
Feb 07, 2013, 04:18 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
daskim's Avatar
Gary:

Any ETA on the GoPro mount?

Any ETA on the RX100 mount?

Thanks.
Feb 07, 2013, 04:29 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITandFUEL
I just use a regular nut and able some new loctite from time-to-time, has worked great so far. I did have one of the original prop nut come off after a tip over while landing, I've been using it since then.
I found out that when landing mine in even somewhat windy condition, the Phantom with "intelligent" motor cut off set up: the slow spinning blades acts like a rotary wing and the wind will easily catch and perhaps flip it. I now set the motor cut off to
"immediately" and happy with it .


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Quadcopter Frame BUILD Thread Quad_Addict Multirotor Drone Talk 78 Mar 17, 2014 11:20 PM
Mini-HowTo POSTING VIDEO: How to Upgrade a Gaui 330x quadcopter with a DJI NAZA Lucidity47 Multirotor Drone Talk 5 Jun 07, 2012 01:31 AM
Video Multiwii Quadcopter Dji F-450 frame Updated Video Anda Inc. Electric Heli Talk 1 May 23, 2012 03:51 PM
Discussion DJI S800 Spreading Wings has landed at Quadcopters UK Headquarters QuadcoptersUk Multirotor Drone Talk 8 May 14, 2012 02:27 PM