Apr 26, 2017, 01:52 PM
"Doc"
Thanks everyone. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, I kept looking for faults or cracks or a Lemon RX inside the Phantom, he he.

Shout out to Dave and Repaid1.. With Inspires and $2000 Phantoms out there, it surely is a bit of a poor man's trade to own a 1st Generation. But, when you consider my only other Quad was a Blade 180QX, this thing is a sizeable upgrade.

A few more videos, 7 switch flips, twirl left, a twirl to the right, some green lights, and I guess I'll be airborne! (Not sure what that does, but it seems to be part of the process, or an overly elaborate joke by the folks at DJI).

Hey Repaid1, I think next year I'll have to give up the Yugo with AM/FM radio, and get something with cassette tape, maybe a Taurus or such! :P he he.

Cheers
Last edited by mjgravina; Apr 26, 2017 at 02:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2017, 02:07 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgravina

Hey Repaid1, I think next year I'll have to give up the Yugo with AM/FM radio, and get something with cassette tape, maybe a Taurus or such! :P he he.

Cheers
Naw man hold onto the Yugo, I had a Taurus and your stuck with the radio that it comes with!
Apr 26, 2017, 02:14 PM
"Doc"
Gents (and lady fliers)-

What is your preference in regards to the THR stick neutral hold? My transmitter has both sticks holding at zero (Centered) while in several videos I've seen the radio's left stick set to sliding at will, so that one can leave it at 60%, 80%, etc. Does it make any difference to you?

My other Spektrum radios have the classic Mode 2 (no return down or center)

All the best,
Apr 26, 2017, 02:38 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Gents (and lady fliers)-

What is your preference in regards to the THR stick neutral hold? My transmitter has both sticks holding at zero (Centered) while in several videos I've seen the radio's left stick set to sliding at will, so that one can leave it at 60%, 80%, etc. Does it make any difference to you?

All the best,
Both sticks centered is best.

Dave
Apr 26, 2017, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Gents (and lady fliers)-

All the best,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
Both sticks centered is best.
Dave
Yeah I'm a center stick flyer myself (Quads/Heli)
Apr 26, 2017, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Gents (and lady fliers)-

All the best,
Agree with Dave and Repaid. For acro quads, non-centered is fine. For altitude assisted, centered rocks!
Apr 26, 2017, 03:57 PM
"Doc"
May I get away with one more question and then bill let you be for awhile?

Check out the serial number at the bottom of the quad. Can't tell what it is. Inside the device however, there is an identifier in a sticker by the receiver. Is that the same serial number? I need it in order to register.

Thx!
Apr 26, 2017, 05:14 PM
Quote:
A few more videos, 7 switch flips, twirl left, a twirl to the right, some green lights, and I guess I'll be airborne! (Not sure what that does, but it seems to be part of the process, or an overly elaborate joke by the folks at DJI).
Be sure to download and read the manual. http://www.dji.com/phantom/info#downloads

I made a series of instructional videos with my original Phantom-1, experimenting with the various flight modes.
Here's the playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...i1UIYDbDlw4mlJ
Apr 26, 2017, 07:06 PM
"Doc"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
Be sure to download and read the manual. http://www.dji.com/phantom/info#downloads

I made a series of instructional videos with my original Phantom-1, experimenting with the various flight modes.
Here's the playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...i1UIYDbDlw4mlJ
Thanks! Yeah, have to set it up right, and then watch a few vids, so as to avoid the classic Return To China. or other glitches caused by me, and not the equipment.
Apr 27, 2017, 06:43 AM
Plus Pilot
Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, have to set it up right, and then watch a few vids, so as to avoid the classic Return To China. or other glitches caused by me, and not the equipment.
A couple of tips:

Wait for the led sequence in GPS mode
1 green 3reds.... 1 green 2 reds... 1 green 0 reds and some seconds after.... only greens...... it is in GPS mode and ready to fly.

May be those old batteries won't fly a long ride ... so fly near and low until you time it before red flashing light comes on. (Time to land)

If you follow simple preflight steps... you'll. enjoy a safe flight and it will back to your take off spot if any
Apr 27, 2017, 02:15 PM
"Doc"
First Flight a success! As opposed to my CP 250 class heli, this device just hovers in GPS mode. After I put the phone down I took it to 50-70 mts, and up or down, it was as precise as an elevator! Now i see how these can be great platforms for video. Made my day (even though my crappy on board cam recorded a time Lapse of my first Flight instead of HD video.. Gotta get gimbaled up!)

DJI Phantom 1.1.1 First Flight! (0 min 41 sec)
Apr 27, 2017, 02:19 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
First Flight a success! As opposed to my CP 250 class heli, this device just hovers in GPS mode. After I put the phone down I took it to 50-70 mts, and up or down, it was as precise as an elevator! Now i see how these can be great platforms for video. Made my day (even though my crappy on board cam recorded a time Lapse of my first Flight instead of HD video.. Gotta get gimbaled up!)

https://youtu.be/pw_9Ed6qzqQ
See I told you these things practically fly themselves. You're gonna love flying it.

Dave
Apr 27, 2017, 02:22 PM
DWA
DWA
Quote:
May I get away with one more question and then bill let you be for awhile?

Check out the serial number at the bottom of the quad. Can't tell what it is. Inside the device however, there is an identifier in a sticker by the receiver. Is that the same serial number? I need it in order to register.

Thx!
Pretty sure that is not the same number.

Dave
Apr 27, 2017, 03:29 PM
"Doc"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
See I told you these things practically fly themselves. You're gonna love flying it.

Dave
Thanks Dave, in the end -all the videos and manuals- cleared up tons of questions but did make me a bit more reserved about setting this thing right for flight (afraid the props go on, bird up in the air, then flies right back to china). But it didn't, the Compass calibration a breeze, and that was actually my very first time flying anything out of my backyard!... Nothing else I had/have can be piloted (by me or its own systems) vertically like this did.

Well, I need to stop telling everyone how awesome this 2013 Technology is. I am pretty sure by now most have caught on, maybe even bought the Phantom 2

The previous owner did take out the gimbal cable, though he gave it as part of the purchase. Will have to figure out where that goes. Also, not sure what a budget/basic gimbal is for this type of quad. Nothing too fancy, as I'll be using my Runcam 2 or perhaps a GoPro if I get lucky. Where can all these parts be found at? (From prop guards to new skids, to props, etc). Hard to find anything that's not for the latest Phantoms, and not sure about backward compatibility.

All the best,
Apr 27, 2017, 08:51 PM
Quote:
<SNIP Hard to find anything that's not for the latest Phantoms, and not sure about backward compatibility.

All the best,
Try here: http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc...tom-1-c969.htm

or:

http://www.helihobby.com/index.php/m...parts.html?p=3

Quick Reply