Jun 18, 2015, 10:56 PM
Gary
I'm using a Tarot, great for the price, and the USB plug is integrated into the side of it. So no wires to get in the way.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2015, 08:58 AM
Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready
I'm using a Tarot, great for the price, and the USB plug is integrated into the side of it. So no wires to get in the way.
What is your Tarot model number?
Jun 19, 2015, 09:04 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by teccer1234
stock setting whatever that is when I check the lipos after landing they all show 11.1v
ray
Try going into your assistant program and set the first battery warning a bit lower. I have mine set to 10.8. Once I hit that 10.8 mark I land with a bit over 10.5 left in the packs.
Jun 19, 2015, 09:46 AM
Gary
Tarot T-2D, about $100 on ebay (USA), for Hero 3 or +. Make sure you get motors AND controller. Pick up a velcro strap while you are at it.
($3.70)
Like this one: (I didn't buy from this seller, just an example)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velcro-Faste...item41980898f0
There is also an adapter for the Phantom you can get for about $5 too.

I did this:
Tarot Brushless Gimbal removable mount (3 min 52 sec)
Jun 19, 2015, 10:29 AM
Does anyone have experience with switching motors and replacing ESC's? If yes, is it hard?
Jun 19, 2015, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkeHenk
Does anyone have experience with switching motors and replacing ESC's? If yes, is it hard?
Replacing Motor & ESC (8 min 23 sec)
Jun 19, 2015, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Hills Dude
Thanks. I saw that one already But I was wondering if anyone had experience with resoldering motors/ESC's and if they knew any specific tips or something
Jun 19, 2015, 02:52 PM
Southern California
Quote:
Thanks. I saw that one already But I was wondering if anyone had experience with resoldering motors/ESC's and if they knew any specific tips or something
If you've never soldered before then watch a few youtube tutorials. It's not hard once you get the hang of it. But, doing it wrong can damage some parts.
Jun 19, 2015, 03:16 PM
Empire Support
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy
If you've never soldered before then watch a few youtube tutorials. It's not hard once you get the hang of it. But, doing it wrong can damage some parts.
I'd recommend...

Research and procure:
A soldering iron that can supply the proper amount of heat to the wire sizes you intend to solder.
Solder and supplies to accomplish the soldering task you intend.
A tool or fixture to help hold/stabilize the solder joint that you intend.
Some old, similar components, wires, etc. to practice on.

Then, you need to practice enough to be comfortable with the task you intend.
Pay close attention to the solder joint's color (shines like mercury as compared to dull like pewter).
Also, learn that soldering is about heat transfer.
This is accomplished by getting the solder into a liquid state rapidly.
If your waiting long periods for the joint to reach the solder's melting point, you may be inflicting heat damage to components...

Keep your tip clean!
You'll eventually learn what this means...
Good Luck!
Jun 19, 2015, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy
Okay, thank you. The rest of my parts (the ESC's) will arive tomorrow, so I hope it goes well.
Jun 19, 2015, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
I'd recommend...

Research and procure:
A soldering iron that can supply the proper amount of heat to the wire sizes you intend to solder.
Solder and supplies to accomplish the soldering task you intend.
A tool or fixture to help hold/stabilize the solder joint that you intend.
Some old, similar components, wires, etc. to practice on.

Then, you need to practice enough to be comfortable with the task you intend.
Pay close attention to the solder joint's color (shines like mercury as compared to dull like pewter).
Also, learn that soldering is about heat transfer.
This is accomplished by getting the solder into a liquid state rapidly.
If your waiting long periods for the joint to reach the solder's melting point, you may be inflicting heat damage to components...

Keep your tip clean!
You'll eventually learn what this means...
Good Luck!
Okay, thanks for all the tips! I tried to improve my soldering skills today so I hope it won't be a really hard task My parts will most likely arrive tommorow. I just hope I won't be getting not working parts or something and that everything after the repair will work properly again, as I spent 1 hour flying my Phantom 1 per day, before I drove the prop-guard screws in my motors... A mistake I won't make soon again... I hope
Jun 20, 2015, 07:01 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
Quote:
Okay, thanks for all the tips! I tried to improve my soldering skills today so I hope it won't be a really hard task My parts will most likely arrive tommorow. I just hope I won't be getting not working parts or something and that everything after the repair will work properly again, as I spent 1 hour flying my Phantom 1 per day, before I drove the prop-guard screws in my motors... A mistake I won't make soon again... I hope
TJ has listed the key things to remember when soldering... do your best to remember them all when you practice.

I may just re-emphasize one of his points... the name of the game is to get the proper amount of heat to both leads being soldered in shortest time possible. Using soldering irons with too high of a wattage rating or keeping any iron on the soldering joint too long, risks damaging the electronics or any involved circuit board. ESC's in particular have very small electronic components and copper traces on them that are much more easily damaged than just soldering two wires together.

Here's a good tutorial on picking the right soldering tool (if you haven't seem it already)...

P.S. One thing not specifically mentioned... learn what soldering paste is and how to use it.

It often speeds up and helps insure good soldering joints.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...oldering-Iron/
Last edited by DJI27; Jun 20, 2015 at 07:10 AM.
Jun 20, 2015, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27
TJ has listed the key things to remember when soldering... do your best to remember them all when you practice.

I may just re-emphasize one of his points... the name of the game is to get the proper amount of heat to both leads being soldered in shortest time possible. Using soldering irons with too high of a wattage rating or keeping any iron on the soldering joint too long, risks damaging the electronics or any involved circuit board. ESC's in particular have very small electronic components and copper traces on them that are much more easily damaged than just soldering two wires together.

Here's a good tutorial on picking the right soldering tool (if you haven't seem it already)...

P.S. One thing not specifically mentioned... learn what soldering paste is and how to use it.

It often speeds up and helps insure good soldering joints.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...oldering-Iron/
Thanks for the tip!

I decided to get the job done by an official DJI dealer, so I guess he knows how to solder and else I can give him the tips you and others gave me. The cost of the repair will be about 30 euro's, but I rather let it be done the right way then messing it up lol
Jun 20, 2015, 11:37 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Quote:
Thanks for the tip!

I decided to get the job done by an official DJI dealer, so I guess he knows how to solder and else I can give him the tips you and others gave me. The cost of the repair will be about 30 euro's, but I rather let it be done the right way then messing it up lol
Good decision.... but, you do need to learn to solder. Practice on old pieces of wire and scrap tin. Small stuff first.
Jun 21, 2015, 05:55 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
Quote:
Thanks for the tip!

I think, having had little if any soldering experience means you've made a good choice to get someone experienced to do the work for you.

Soldering (especially electronic components), like everything else, takes practice and isn't something you get at in one or two sittings.

Quick Reply