Feb 02, 2013, 08:17 PM
DJI Phantom pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
You will go into Assistant and do the Advanced Compass calibration. Takes about 6-10 min then you power the Phantom off for 10 min and you should be good to go.
Thanks! I will try that!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2013, 11:37 PM
Plus Pilot

Transmitter battery alert?

Hi,
Is there any Transmitter battery alert? That is, may I run out of AAA batteries in middle of a flight? Any visual or beep signal? How many flights average 10' do them get?
Feb 02, 2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumanoc View Post
Hi,
Is there any Transmitter battery alert? That is, may I run out of AAA batteries in middle of a flight? Any visual or beep signal? How many flights average 10' do them get?
It beeps, page 16 of the manual.
Feb 03, 2013, 12:26 AM
Plus Pilot

Unusual fast descent

Hello,
I've flown Phantom around 15 times, average time 11'. All time was ok, till today.
It was around 25 mts hovering, (with Hero3 + case) then it began a fast descend without my intervention, just did it. It was in GPS mode. I moved stick to ATII and gave a full throtle to recover from fall. I got it just 2 meters from earth!
I landed it and verified. Battery (40% ok), Naza params Ok, all normal !.
Return and flied 5 more minutes. No issues.
Any explanation or action to follow?
Feb 03, 2013, 12:29 AM
Plus Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
It beeps, page 16 of the manual.
Thanks. I read it but not sure about signal... Now it is clear
Feb 03, 2013, 02:09 AM
Finally No Jello, pending intensive outdoor testing.
Stock Phantom, nothin else changing props wit Graupner 8x5" very, ver, very fine balanced (without cutting or sanding to avoid aerodynamic profile alterations).

http://www.dynamicfilming.com/jello-...antom-y-gopro/
Feb 03, 2013, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanasit View Post
CG is no problems to begin with, mine kept drifting backward slowly while hovering, so my first though was the CG problem. I simply tested it by installing an oversize battery pack (3000 mAh) with the end sticking out and the battery door ajar. The Phantom hovered perfectly level but still drift backward like before.
In this case, if the CG has any effect, it should drift forward where the CG was.
I read your posts but still can't figure out why you want to do that but it should be simple enough since the frame is symmetric so if you lift the whole guts off and turn the frame 180. Only the main board that may not have the proper posts to fit on.
Thanks tanasit Ill try one more time . My current Gopro mount with case ic 20mm forward then origin place. CG is noticeable OFF. So the best way is to move battery. I want keep buttery inside so swapping back front is a solution-maybe
Anyway there is a option to set distance of CG from GPS but as I remember GPS in Phantom is covered by tape or something. Where is this mark if someone wants to be exact?
Feb 03, 2013, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVince View Post
Nice! You dare to go pretty high for a first flight!
Doesn't it become a tiny speck in the sky?
I have faith in the Phantom It is very hard to see the thing flying so high. I was right under it so had to look straight up to see which made it even harder to fly
Feb 03, 2013, 04:32 AM
Here in Finland there is obviously snow this time of the year and i was worried about the compass module being destroyed. I used liquid electric tape to insulate the module from the elements the best i could. Seems to be working just fine.

Have you guys had issues with the compass units failing and having to replace them??
Feb 03, 2013, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Here is the latest variant of our Phantom isolation mount for the Hero3 Black. Actually, it will fit any GoPro, obviously, but our specific purpose is to get enough isolation to remove all traces of jello from the H3B's 2.7k/30p mode, which is proving to be quite a challenge. This version uses four of the same silicon isolators we use on the bigger gimbal setups, widely spaced, using four of the LG mounting holes. The GP mounting plate is attached using rubber grommets with compressed silicon tubing on either side of the grommet. I will be doing a flight test of this configuration, but unfortunately it won't be until tomorrow (family duties... ).

-- Gary
That looks awesome. Is there enough usable weight to add a 2 axis on there?
Feb 03, 2013, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Thanks Gary.

It sounds like a system similar to yours that will carry a RX100 will likely be too heavy.

Is that a fair statement?
No, not from a weight standpoint. Andrey says he can do a small cage-type setup for the RX100, and the Phantom should still be fine carrying this. There's not a huge weight difference between the RX100 and the H3B with the plastic case.

-- Gary
Feb 03, 2013, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicfox View Post
Mine started this light sequence today too Dutch. From looking at the light chart it looks like its saying it was moved before initialization. Which it wasn't. I did compass calibration but it was still there. Charging my 3 batteries now, I'll see if its still there in a few. If it is maybe ill hook it up to assistant and try and get rid of it.

I am afraid you haven't see the whole sentance.
If you don't move your phantom, then it tells you need do calibration in assistant.
Feb 03, 2013, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Maybe I should ask this as today is the first day I'm using multiple batteries. Should the start up process be the same when you change from one battery to the next. I mean I know the IMU's don't need to warm up I believe.
You just need to wait the YELLOW YELLOW ... YELLOW disapear.
You will find the difference.
Feb 03, 2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Dutch,

I just flew my 3 batteries and the fast greens after the GPS green were gone. So maybe it needs to be off for awhile after doing a normal compass calibration.
Fast greens tells you need do IMU calibration. Not the compass.
Feb 03, 2013, 10:37 AM
Flying Phantom
Hey Guys!
I am new to this hobby,
had a Hero 3 Black for a while (after owning a HD1 and HD2)
and been using it for kitesurfing and stuff.

Have been loking around for some way to start flying with a quadrocopter, but found most other models either involved more modification and set-up than i want to risk doing myself at the beginning of this hobby as i just read into all of this.

Since i read the whole Thread - I find it very useful btw. and appreciate the beginners info being mixed with lots of "pro" Information and tips - I just had one of those moments when your guts tell you "do it!" on friday, so i called a company located in Hamburg, at about 3pm, asked if they could ship it out same day, if I decided to order and they got it shipped out and package got here (North of Bemen, Germany) just Yesterday!
Super excited I watched those Videos of Collin for the 4th or 5th time, while the batteries were Charging.

Maiden Flight went pretty well and nor did I destroy it, neither harm any people around.

I noticed something strange going on with the LED, but figured it all out, thanks to this thread! Did a basic calibration via the Software and all was good!

Just had a very small Crash/abnormal landing today in my living room and that is why i decided to finally register and and actively join the Community here, rather then just sit back and read only...

I plugged in the battery after i switched on the Transmitter, waited for the initilisation phase to go by, waited even as long as the IMUs wee warm:
So IMUs were warmed up,

yellow - - - - - red, red, red----yellow - - - - - red, red, red

seemed normal to me, since I was on Atti mode and indoors, hence no GPS/ less then 5 satellites...

I stuffed in the battery (which can be a real PITA imho).
started the motors and took off.
I tried to just let it sit steady, with no success,
I constantly had to stop it from colliding with the sofa, a small glass table and other stuff, as it was moving around quite a bit...

so i tried to get better at it, landed it a few times and just took off straight,
anyways, i noticed, that it would "jump" a little sometimes to the front, sometimes to either side, after takeoff and also hover with quite some altitude changes!

I was afraid it would hit something or even me, since it would drop from 1m/3 feet to almost the floor, or raise up a little...
had to watch really concentrated for it to not crash!

-> So I am nowhere near the stability which is shown in one of those DJI Videos where a F450 i think just "stays" in the air and the DJI Guys dip it down, or push it up and it comes back to it`s original altitude....
that ist un-doable for me right now!

later I set it on a table, which is roughly 25 x 60 inches,
started it from there and it suddenly dropped about 60cm!
without me touching the throttle, so it hit the glass table with two of its rotors and fell to the floor with the motors stopping immediately...

nothing happened, on one rotor some really tiny scratches, inspected the rotors very carefully afterwards, no real damage done...pfeeew...

so, what do you think?
Am I expecting too much?

could it have been, since I flew it close (6-7 feet away) of a wifi router?
I thought it should have been more stable...

set it on my desk and connected to the PC afterwards,
Numbers i am seeing are perfectly fine and software tells me no calibration needed when clicking the status button...

any ideas?
other then that pretty exciting toy and i am looking forward to shae some Videos and Picture with you guys, when the bloody wind dies off in a couple days...

It flew rather fine this morning in about 11-16 knots of wind,went inside because it started to rain.

Alex
Ps: ohh before i forget!
those indoor test was done WITH a Hero 3 Black plus it`s original Underwaterhousing, but no further bacpacs attached and pointing to the front, angled roughly at 40 degrees...
Last edited by Alex84; Feb 03, 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply