Jan 05, 2014, 06:28 PM
The only thing I could find thats even close to the right size is this one. It looks like a tight fit.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-108031-P...Plano+tool+box
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2014, 06:31 PM
Valiant Poultry
Yah, it seems like MOST cases are just a tiny bit too small on the interior depth.

I measured my Phantom, and I wouldn't want to go with anything less than about 8.5" interior depth...otherwise, you're getting to the point where the foam will be putting quite a bit of pressure on the blades.

I still have time to wait, as I won't be doing a ton of flying with my Phantom for the next two or more months anyways due to the weather, so I'll keep looking while I'm waiting to get to really fly it.
Jan 05, 2014, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity
Yah, it seems like MOST cases are just a tiny bit too small on the interior depth.

I measured my Phantom, and I wouldn't want to go with anything less than about 8.5" interior depth...otherwise, you're getting to the point where the foam will be putting quite a bit of pressure on the blades.

I still have time to wait, as I won't be doing a ton of flying with my Phantom for the next two or more months anyways due to the weather, so I'll keep looking while I'm waiting to get to really fly it.
Why would you want to have the blades on the quad in the case anyway? The cons, deformed props, certainly outweighs the pros..able to save the 10 seconds it takes to spin on the self tightening props, or 2 minutes with nuts.
Jan 05, 2014, 06:47 PM
Valiant Poultry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman
Why would you want to have the blades on the quad in the case anyway? The cons, deformed props, certainly outweighs the pros..able to save the 10 seconds it takes to spin on the self tightening props, or 2 minutes with nuts.
Because I prefer to have them on there.

Besides, even with them removed, that still doesn't change the fact that I would rather have a case with about 8.5" of interior depth, as the props themselves only add about 1/4" of space to the top of the measurement above the prop shafts.

Do you have any suggestions for a case option??
Last edited by Gimpdiggity; Jan 05, 2014 at 06:55 PM.
Jan 05, 2014, 06:50 PM

Video

Hi, Phantom and GoPro 3 SE

DJI Phantom - Bartın / Kızılkum & Windy and no gimbal (4 min 9 sec)

DJI Phantom / Devrek (1 min 45 sec)
Last edited by celikay67; Apr 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM.
Jan 05, 2014, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity

I cut out the foam on the top and bottom so there's nothing touching the blades. Prop chocks (and the edges of the foam) keep them from moving when the case is closed though.

I agree that the case would be better if it were a smidge taller to accommodate extended landing gear. I didn't want to go with heavier folding gear for my Phantom, which would have solved the problem.
Jan 05, 2014, 06:56 PM
Valiant Poultry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano
I cut out the foam on the top and bottom so there's nothing touching the blades. Prop chocks (and the edges of the foam) keep them from moving when the case is closed though.

I agree that the case would be better if it were a smidge taller to accommodate extended landing gear. I didn't want to go with heavier folding gear for my Phantom, which would have solved the problem.
Yah, I saw how you had the foam on the top of your case. Looks like a pretty good solution to make sure that the foam there isn't causing any issues.
Jan 05, 2014, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman
It's not the props themselves. The prop mounts on the motor bell housings will hit the top of the case if your landing gear is tall. I ditched the dome prop nuts because of that.
Jan 05, 2014, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm3
Short answer, yes, it will fit with 1/2" extensions!

I used a 1" block of wood, as thats all I had available....and put it on the floor of the case, then set my Phantom 1.1.1 into it, and shut the lid.
The photos show a before and after.....so...yes, i believe it will fit, as mine did when i shut the lid, but kind of tight. A 1/2 inch extension should fit....something to be aware of in my case, is that with 1" Phantom landing gear extensions, the prop guards (foam) and the motor "pods" raise above the foam....so although it will shut, you begin to mess with the foam protection.....still...if its tight and secure...its ot going anywhere...
One thing that might be done on a case like mine is pull the whole bottom phone insert out, and add some foam on the bottom....raising the foam to get back to surrounding the frame....of course...it would take some trial and error.....
Hope this helps
Also....for everyone I've spoken to regarding making the plunge of purchasing a Phantom...I've strongly encouraged the case...even as expensive as it is...I feel its one of the BEST purchases with NO buyers remorse with it at all!
Ralph Matile
I have a case like yours. I notice that you have your TX in the case with the handle up and to the right. I was worried about putting pressure on the antenna with it that way and I noticed that in my case there is a piece of foam you can remove in the TX hole near the clasp side of the case. It is kind of hard to see that it is there but if you pull on the foam a little you will see that it has been pre-cut. If you remove this you can put the TX on it's side with the antenna down in the hole so it is better protected.
I also agree with you that this case is a good investment!
Joe
Jan 05, 2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks Joe,
Yes,..I'm aware of the foam being able to be removed for the transmitter.
I guess I felt it wasn't too high...but I'm going to re-check and possibly take out the chunk of foam that would allow the trans to lay down....
It is the highest part of all the parts in the case.....sooooooo
I appreciate the observation!
Ralph Matile
Jan 05, 2014, 08:37 PM

Can't connect to assistant

Hi guys,

I have a phantom that I have changed the stock receiver and installed a Spektrum 921 with 2 satellites using Freechips instructions and Seahawks video. I have double checked the connections and all seems to be correct. The problem I am having is it will not connect to the assistant so I can verify all controls. The usb connection beep occurs when I plug it in but it says that the device is not recognized and that the device has malfunctioned. I haved tried a different usb cable because I read somewhere that was someone elses problem but that did not help. Does anyone have any idea where I should look next or is my Naza controller toast?

Thanks
M. Candies
Last edited by mcandies; Jan 05, 2014 at 08:46 PM.
Jan 06, 2014, 02:15 AM
Harrison Ford Flight School
Here's mine... been using it for almost a year. It's perfect... plenty of room for stuff, and works as a carry-on when traveling.

(I switched from the Orange TX to a Futaba, so the Orange is available if anyone is interested)
Jan 06, 2014, 02:18 AM
Valiant Poultry
That's nice!! What kind of case is that??
Jan 06, 2014, 02:41 AM
The Ground is the Limit
Do what Adam Savage does and make your own box =P
One Day Builds: Adam Savage Makes Something Wonderful from Scratch (32 min 11 sec)

Or bite the bullet and buy the case with the laser cut outs ... its so nice to just grab and go and have a place to launch the phantom from and also have a place to sit and or stand.
http://www.goprocases.com/DJICases.aspx
Jan 06, 2014, 06:06 AM
DJI Phantom pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by djidan
I learnt how to do this from tutorials located on YouTube. Just search for 'Camera Tracking in After Effects' or 'Motion Tracking in After Effects' and there are loads available. The next thing I want to learn is the 'Tilt and Shift' effect.
Thx I found some tutorials and did a test, great fun

Ophemert beletterd (0 min 11 sec)

Quick Reply