Jan 18, 2013, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK_CH View Post
Now here's what I'm thinking. Do I go for a Phantom and pimp it out as my skill level increases or go for something like a F450 frame and just bite the bullet on the maintenance and steeper learing curve?

First off I probably won't be using a GoPro, I'm not a great fan of fisheye lenses, but something like the Sony RX 100 Kaz has used, the quality seems much better.

Hi Kaz, have you got any more videos you can upload of the RX 100 on the Phantom?
PK - I would definitely go for a larger platform from DJI since it seems you like the features of the Phantom. If size is not a concern I would get the hex (550) and if it is get the quad instead. For your altitude, winds, photography needs I think a larger platform is probably the better choice. The Phantom is my first real quad and I love it, but it is not meant to serve the purposes you require simply because of the payload it is meant to carry. Yes I am testing mine out with the RX100 but it's over the limit on what should be carried on this, and the Phantom becomes slightly harder to pilot with all that weight. I put up a second short test video (just look on my Vimeo channel) and again, I am treating the Phantom like a "floating" camera...it's different than say actually piloting a real purpose built quad with a gimbal. Once the GoPro gimbals come out this will change things a bit, but it's still a very small quad that might not do so well in high altitude with heavy payload. I'm getting another larger quad and got the tiny Eye One for fun, you'll probably feel the same way. It fits in nicely between the two extremes.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2013, 01:45 PM
LNLP

How To Monitor Phantom Quad With Go Pro Hero3 Mounted

A beginner's question. What do I need to monitor the video taken by
my Phantom Quad Mounted with a Go Pro Hero 3 Camera?

1. What type of Video Goggles are needed?
2. What is needed to transmit the video from the camera
to the goggles?
3. What type of adapter is needed to transfer the video to
a T.V.?

I will only be flying short distances - less than 300 feet. This is all new
to me so would appreciate any help offered.

LNLP
Jan 18, 2013, 01:55 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNLP View Post
A beginner's question. What do I need to monitor the video taken by
my Phantom Quad Mounted with a Go Pro Hero 3 Camera?

1. What type of Video Goggles are needed?
2. What is needed to transmit the video from the camera
to the goggles?
3. What type of adapter is needed to transfer the video to
a T.V.?

I will only be flying short distances - less than 300 feet. This is all new
to me so would appreciate any help offered.

LNLP
To get video output from the new Hero3 you have to buy or build a plug that fits the USB adapter. Google "Hero3 video out cable" and you can find instructions how to build one as well as a commercially available plug if you want to pay $19.

1) There are a number of alternatives. Fat Sharks seem to be the most popular. Team Black Sheep uses Zeiss OLED Cinemizers (and so do I). I believe they have the best image quality but they are more expensive. I've seen Fat Sharks and other goggles crop up on the Classifieds section so you should check there.
2) You need a small transmitter. I use an Iftron (www.iftrontech.com) and but you can find a number of alternatives. Just google FPV transmitters. I believe Fat Shark offers transmitter/reciever kits turnkey.
3) You nened a receiver to match your video transmitter. I use Iftron but, again, if you google FPV receivers you'll find others.

Best recommendation for you is to go watch the videos in this thread under the FPV section here titled "How to be successful in FPV - Complete HD video series /updated document!"
Jan 18, 2013, 01:56 PM
here ye go dude I done a quick how to on the FPV kit on mine, hope it helps

Phantom FPV How To (7 min 27 sec)
Jan 18, 2013, 02:06 PM
Forensic Animation/Video/Photo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy78 View Post
here ye go dude I done a quick how to on the FPV kit on mine, hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHqpK...8Uxh6Q&index=3
Nice video. A couple of clarifications:

1) The video cable to your GoPro won't work on the new Hero3 camera. Here's a great tutorial how to build your own USB - video out: http://www.aplanding.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6305 - You can buy cables but they are expensive and much heavier than the build-your-own version.

2) I reccomend putting the video transmitter inside the Phantom case. They have an extra set of power leads in there you can connect to and it may save you from losing the damn thing in a hard crash. Also, I believe in getting as much weight close to the CG as possible since you cannot alter the CG settings in the Phantom Naza assistant.

3) Obviously, the GoPro is the way to go to record video. However, for a newbie I would suggest putting a microcamera on the ship and flying without the GoPro at first. You'll get longer flight times (the GoPro and mount make a difference) and better stability while getting the full FPV experience. Of course, everybody wants to make video but for learning I really think its worth doing at first.
Jan 18, 2013, 02:20 PM
LNLP

How To Monitor Phantom Quad With Go Pro Hero3 Mounted

Vislaw and Rudeboy, thank you very much for your useful information.
I will start my research immediately. Best, LNLP
Jan 18, 2013, 04:08 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
@FliteLab - Thank you glad you like it, yes I use the 3D printers for all my thinking

Yes fullsize / standard size 20mm wide by 30mm long, I tried some savox units which I REALLY like but full size seems like a simpler solution to the power in the end.

The goal was to get 2 axis operation to work nicely inside the safety of the legs, I dropped it down as far as possible to use the extra space to isolate vibrations.

Attached a shot of it in flight, really shows how compact it is, and inside the landing-gear to protect the gimbal and camera as much as possible. (I fly like a sack of potatoes so anything helps)
Bo

Would you be interested in doing just a Hero3 fixed mount? The DJI mount doesn't work with the Hero3 and the GoPro water proof mount is 17gr heavier then the Hero2 mount.
Jan 18, 2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Bo

Would you be interested in doing just a Hero3 fixed mount? The DJI mount doesn't work with the Hero3 and the GoPro water proof mount is 17gr heavier then the Hero2 mount.
HGT,

Why don't you just buy a GoPro "Frame". Comes with a mount for the 3, 3 with backpack and 2. Not expensive.
Jan 18, 2013, 04:13 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Bo

The GoPro 3 "Frame" mount should work with it I suspect.
Jan 18, 2013, 04:46 PM
HGT
HGT
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI INNOVATIONS View Post
The low voltage is set to 4v. Rechargeable batteries will be ok.
I am sorry for missing this information in manual.
The transmitter will beep when the voltage is lower than 4v.
Don't worry, it will still work normally when it beeps. But you need land quickly and renew the batteries.
Been looking for this for a while now... Thanks DJI
Jan 18, 2013, 05:30 PM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
HGT,

Why don't you just buy a GoPro "Frame". Comes with a mount for the 3, 3 with backpack and 2. Not expensive.
Yes the "Frame" is a great product, light and handy.
I'm waiting for the LayerLens for GoPro3 to protect the camera’s lens before using it with the Phantom though.
Should be available soon.
Jan 18, 2013, 05:39 PM
Hallo everyone.
i am new to all this and this is the first quad-copter I have bought the DJI Phantom. some one might be able to help me. I am having trouble with the battery the video below shows what my charger is doing. I have left it in for over 2 hours and still the same thing. has any come across this before. thanks for the help.
Dji phanton charger trouble (0 min 11 sec)
Last edited by Johnopyro; Jan 18, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Jan 18, 2013, 05:43 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by vislaw View Post
Also, I believe in getting as much weight close to the CG as possible since you cannot alter the CG settings in the Phantom Naza assistant.

If the Phantom uses a regular NAZA, can't you just download the regular NAZA assistant from the web site?
Jan 18, 2013, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
If the Phantom uses a regular NAZA, can't you just download the regular NAZA assistant from the web site?
No, it is not recommended.

Unless, you are not using the Phantom receiver and transmitter.
Jan 18, 2013, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
DJI says if you do this it would void the warranty.
The stock Phantom FW is the same as the regular Naza FW except it looks different so no need to change it anyways.

Quick Reply