Nov 21, 2012, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
New Product

DJI Phantom Quadcopter

Just saw this one:

DJI Phantom Quadcopter Demo Model (6 min 15 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
Interesting, any specs on this ?
Nov 21, 2012, 06:19 PM
I can only imagine how expensive it will be. It does look nice.
Nov 21, 2012, 07:42 PM
What's a servo?
Love that 8kHz whine eh?

Sure it looks nice. Why does DJI feel the need to release another quad frame that "looks" like its in the 450-550 size?

I also wonder if they are running their stock plastic props that have the built in FOD feature?
Nov 21, 2012, 08:00 PM
Phantom Quadcopter is the working title. It will be promoted and sold as DJI Albinocopter.
Nov 21, 2012, 08:16 PM
Some close up pics of all angles would be nice. Looks like great Christmas gift for the kids.
Nov 21, 2012, 09:30 PM
Consistently Inconsistent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Mike
Love that 8kHz whine eh?

Sure it looks nice. Why does DJI feel the need to release another quad frame that "looks" like its in the 450-550 size?

I also wonder if they are running their stock plastic props that have the built in FOD feature?
The 8k whine doesn't bother me. And I think most manufacturers have a "FOD" feature from time to time.
:-)

As far as "why does DJI feel the need to release another quad frame".....

Pretty simple. To sell.

Yeah, I know it's now fashionable now for some to keep slamming DJI, but the fact is..they have redefined the multirotor world. For the new guy, and for the experienced folks.
And in a fairly short time.
They are innovative and will no doubt keep on putting products in the hands of people at whatever price level people are comfortable with.
I'll happily get one of these when they are released.
Nov 21, 2012, 09:46 PM
Hmm, can't view the video. Says it's private.
Nov 21, 2012, 10:52 PM
EMS market.. looks nice
Nov 22, 2012, 04:38 AM
Yep the chines have done it again
I love them.

looking back at the past tuff road behind from sourcing MR parts to fine tuning it. Making frames from alloy tubes. Spending countless nights fault finding crash fixing and what knot. it was tuff.

Now a man can buy a kit plug and go that flies beautiful with less worries.

Evaluation.
All I need now is for a company I make a impulse radio so I can control the copter by my thoughts.
That way I can eat a burger wile out flying.
Nov 22, 2012, 04:44 AM
Thread OP
The owner of the vídeo moved it to private, probably not to be seen lol.
It will come ready to fly, with GPS, with gopro zenmuse included from what I heard on other forums.
Nov 22, 2012, 05:08 AM
hexa... sounds like you're worried it might affect your business!!, maybe you can get a copy!

Gopro Zenmuse...I don't think so! Just a mount for a Gopro
Nov 22, 2012, 05:12 AM
Thread OP
Let's see
Nov 22, 2012, 06:14 AM
well, yes, only a mount for the gopro will come with the rtf kit..
armin
www.mamo-models.com
Nov 22, 2012, 06:24 AM
What's a servo?
I guess what I was saying, is why would DJI release another drone that is in the ~450 ~550ish size bracket, and therefore its capabilities are more or less the same as the F450 and F550 frames and systems that they already offer.

They are merely doubling up with packages to offer a certain capability, not offering anything new as such, when it comes to solutions for current gaps in capability.

Sure DJI have made a dent in the industry. I do own two of their controllers, and I think their baro altitude hold is the best in business (or just the best that I have seen), and remember that they started with AP helicopter autopilots way before multirotors were on the scene.

So, unless they are going to have uprated 35 series outrunners, and different propellers (thus formally and officially acknowledging that their current props are not fit for purpose) than I can't see why they are developing this quad.

Perhaps their market research has suggested that clients want an sleek looking monocoque style frame, that is no doubt going to cost a very pretty penny from DJI?
I also suspect heavy integration as standard with their GCS and heavy autonomous operation. So much so that the only customers that could justify the money to afford the system with such a small and niche payload are likely going to be government and state organisations? Could that be it, perhaps?

Personally, and this is certainly not to bash DJI, I guess I just don't see that much room for "another" ~450 sized quad.

Quick Reply