This thread is privately moderated by Thomas B., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 21, 2012, 04:13 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
Idea

WW 1 Combat

Is anyone interested in simple WW1 combat?
1/10th scale would produce about 80 cm wingspan. Depron or similar material and KFM 2 wings for quick and cheap building, 3s 1000 mAh lipo.
I made this Sopwith Pup and it is great fun to fly.
I took scale outlines with a slightly prolonged nose.
Box fuselage with a big yoghurt pot as cowling.
Post your ideas or pictures.
What about Nieuport 17, Se5a, Fokker DVI.....
Thomas fliegt seinen Doppeldecker (1 min 10 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2012, 04:49 PM
This is kid stuff.
Love that big 'ol loop! Appears to fly well all around.

Seems like I saw a similar thread started here a little while ago that drifted off into more of an exercise in scale correctness.

Your plane quite looks the part enough for me. More details of your build & setup would be appreciated.

Subbed &
Nov 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
CV-15 VB-16
Very nice, TB.

Like Mazzepa1, I too would like to see more details concerning the Pup. Maybe you took some pics of your process you can share.

g
Last edited by giuseppi; Nov 21, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Nov 21, 2012, 05:17 PM
Hi Thomas,

I see your box fuse in use again! Great.
Nov 21, 2012, 07:29 PM
Sure! Newtron and I tried it once, but he cheated and got me on the landing......
Ken from SEMFF had a thread on WW1 combat planes with a few plans.
I also think GPW's "Simple Fokker" should not be overlooked.
It is a great flyer and easy build.
Nov 22, 2012, 12:01 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
Do you have links to Ken`s WW1 thread and the simple Fokker?
Nov 22, 2012, 04:49 PM

Simple Fokker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B.
Hi Thomas,

Try here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t=simpl+fokker
Nov 22, 2012, 06:41 PM
Addicted to building...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B.
WWI Combat thread is here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1386501
Most of the design work was done by Haiduk, followed by Ken, plus a few others. Not sure it took off well except in Haiduks section of North-
West USA, Washington State.

I do like the box fuse idea and find it more appealing for this type of aircraft. Variety is what makes modeling so much fun and keeps it interesting.

I'll be subscribed to this one for sure!

Fred
Nov 24, 2012, 04:14 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
This Fokker D7 by Martin looks great:
(2 min 8 sec)
Nov 24, 2012, 04:28 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
I like box fuselage designs because you need not much material for a light and strong structure and you can move the battery to adjust the cog.
I think ailerons are worth the effort on these models. My Pup is fully aerobatic and flies nicely even in very windy conditions.
I use skewers for wing struts and linkage and ice cream sticks for centre struts.
Nov 25, 2012, 06:28 AM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
I made two simple sketches of my Pup. I am still a beginner with sketchup so please be kind.
I think it would be possible to use this as a standard model and to modify wingtips,
tail and stabilizer shape and cowling to catch the character of different WW 1 planes.
COG is 20 mm from LE (lower wing) and a bit of down trim is needed.
I really love this model because it does any aerobatic manoeuver at low speed and you can fly it anywhere and take off and land on a penny.
Current motor is a turnigy DST 1200 with 3s 1000 mAh and 18A ESC.
Last edited by Thomas B.; Nov 25, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Nov 25, 2012, 07:23 AM
Thomas, your Pup flies great. GPW's Simple Fokker flew in a very similar manner, although mine did not have quite the power yours does.

Here's a link to my club's WW1 Combat thread. The first post contains links to some other plans / builds of foam WW1 planes.

..and another foam DVII build in progress.

Here is some artwork that may help with other builds:
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Nov 25, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Nov 25, 2012, 08:50 AM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP
K, very interesting links and attachments! If you don`t mind we could borrow many of your ideas to improve this thread.
I like the simple Fokker and it`s mods, especially the Albatros. I will make the guns this evening!.
Nov 25, 2012, 09:43 AM
Definitely - I posted them in the hopes they help out.
Nov 25, 2012, 10:50 PM
This is kid stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdahlhaus
Sure! Newtron and I tried it once, but he cheated and got me on the landing......
Ken from SEMFF had a thread on WW1 combat planes with a few plans.
I also think GPW's "Simple Fokker" should not be overlooked.
It is a great flyer and easy build.
Sounds as if Thomas B's "box fuse technique" is in the arena of common knowledge.

Link to a description of the technique, if available, would be appreciated. That, and the measurements given for the Pup ought to get me close enough to give it a go.

Quick Reply