Jan 06, 2013, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
Red stinger in the back yo even it out
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2013, 12:14 PM
Ninja Master
Haha, yeah, maybe I'll paint the Vtail linkage cover some other color
Jan 06, 2013, 07:49 PM
Maidened Brandons Energic today. Fermin, firm wind, full ballast, went totally perfect. I think it will serve perfectly. Very fast.

WD
Jan 06, 2013, 10:35 PM
Heavy's good, heavy's reliable
Thanks for the help Warren! What a blast. More tomorrow I hope
Jan 07, 2013, 02:16 AM
Sure it'll work
Hey guys,

I've been working on a 3M F3X (with a motor) that I'm thinking about doing the maiden without the motor first, because ElDo has more trees than I like. And the Fermin LZ isn't ideal either, only because I don't know how well this plane will slow down at an estimated 108ozs. I don't think I would maiden at Bluff either, because of the LZ (?). The videos of my Viking 2 that I've watched, shows it landing in a very short patches, but we all know how nerve wracking maidens can be. If I can get it 100% finshed, and programed by the 20th, I will take it to Perris for the JEM DLG contest, and maiden it in a near by field (way wide open).

So, my question is this.....slope, or no slope, where's a good, open place to maiden a heavy 3M ship without driving 50 miles.

Plus, some of you are very, very close to me. Always good to find like minded pilots that are close by.

Bill
Last edited by Flyextreme; Jan 07, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
Jan 07, 2013, 10:14 AM
Bill, pm sent.
Jan 07, 2013, 11:27 AM
Detail Freak
Bill-

If I were in your situation with a powered F3B/F type plane, I would opt for maiden at Eldo on a day with a light wind.
I'd plan on powering up easily above the trees while you get things sorted.
I would use setting for CG, and throws, etc.
That way, at least you have a clean LZ without rocks and rotors.

That being said, 108oz is really not a lot for a day at Fermin of 15mph for a maiden with a plane like that.
My Trinity was 107 empty (double carbon), and would easily fly in 10 or less there.
Good luck!

R,
Target
Jan 07, 2013, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
If I were in your situation with a powered F3B/F type plane, I would opt for maiden at Eldo on a day with a light wind.
+1 on that. Eldo is grass and there is a lot of room before you encounter trees.

Tom
Jan 07, 2013, 12:59 PM
Sure it'll work
There's a few trees on the landing approach (left) that almost always throw me off a bit. I'm likely just over thinking it.

I suppose ElDo would be just fine. However, I like options, and wanted to see if there were any possible good ones.

Bill
Last edited by Flyextreme; Jan 07, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Jan 07, 2013, 03:54 PM
Detail Freak
The really nice thing is, so long as you avoid solid, land-based objects, the ground is quite soft at Eldo this time of year.
The grass itself is a little cushiony as well, and won't scratch the bottom of your plane.
And, there's no rotor to contend with...
Is it a Viking 2??
Just curious, wanted one of those myself in the F3B version for a while.

R,
target
Jan 07, 2013, 06:56 PM
And now back to the Energic thread.... just back from Fermin (again) with Ian, after his maiden of his Energic. It was even better than yesterday, full ballast (again) and Ian was wowing the entire session. A smooth landing and a happy pilot. He will be surely adding on shortly.

WD
Jan 07, 2013, 07:01 PM
Sure it'll work
Yes, Viking2-E Race double carbon F3B.

If FoDs didn't have so much air traffic..........

I may likely end up at ElDo. Where ever I go, it should be just fine.

Sorry for the OT.
Last edited by Flyextreme; Jan 07, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Jan 07, 2013, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
Tossed the Energic off with full balast on the maidenAll I can say is everyone should own one of these, It was coming down from stratosphere height and banging turns like i had flown this plane for years, thanks Warren for helping with the set-up, and thanks Bob soaringusa.com for this AWSOME plane. Ian who has a gigantic smile tonight
Jan 10, 2013, 10:27 PM
Ninja Master
Flew my Energic with full ballast today and I'm still super happy with it. It could have used more, maybe I'll get around to making lead ballast for it someday. I'll have to echo what Bluffman said, it bangs the turns out! One issue I had though, was after I took it apart to go home. The front alignment pin on the right wing had pulled out and was stuck in the fuse. No big deal, pulled it out when I home and glued it back in good as new.

Front pin missing!

After a (very) brief search it was found, still stuck in the fuse.

Jan 10, 2013, 11:58 PM
Thread OP
Yeah I was thinking about some lead for mine also, and kind of wishing I would have put a ballast tube in.

Quick Reply