This thread is privately moderated by CarToon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 20, 2012, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Some more of my planes

Here are a few of my planes. I fly warbirds pretty much exclusively, except for helis. Most of them I repaint, because I just can't seem to leave them alone.
Last edited by CarToon; Apr 15, 2013 at 01:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2012, 11:02 PM
Grumpa Tom
You are a very talented artist!
Nov 21, 2012, 03:43 AM
Thread OP
Thanks. I do it for a living (art, not painting planes), although I didn't paint the pinup on the B-25. It was blown up from a Revell 1/48 scale model kit.
Apr 12, 2013, 05:48 PM
What tires are those that you have on your B-25? Did you have to modify the nacelles?

Thanks.
Apr 12, 2013, 06:11 PM
Thread OP
They are Dave Brown Lite Flight. I did have to do some cutting in the nacelles, and cut out part of the gear doors. The door holes were then covered with thin styrene sheet.

The wheel hubs were slightly too wide for the length of the axle, so I had to shave down some plastic on the wheel centers also. I think I had to add brass tubing to the wheels to fit the smaller diameter axles. It did take a bit of work, but those undersized mains just bugged me too much!
Jul 06, 2013, 06:53 PM
Thread OP
109 shot down by B-17 gunner. RIP.
Sep 03, 2013, 06:31 AM
Live as you Fly, UP & Down
Hi Marty,

As you paint for a living, mind if i ask, how you are prepping your Foamies prior to painting, as the Texture looks so smooth and no foamie I have has ever been that good ?
Sep 03, 2013, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag1234
Hi Marty,

As you paint for a living, mind if i ask, how you are prepping your Foamies prior to painting, as the Texture looks so smooth and no foamie I have has ever been that good ?
I don't actually paint for a living, and believe it or not, I don't normally prep my planes at all, except the British Stinson, which I prepped with acrylic polyurethane right out of the can. For the repaint, I use Model Master Acryl bottle paint, and a 1/2 to 3/4 inch hobby/craft brush.

Model Master acrylic paint goes on butter smooth right out of the bottle, with virtually no brush marks, and it normally only takes only one or two ounces to cover the whole plane, depending on the size of the aircraft, of course . With some of my planes, I go back in with an airbrush to soften the paint demarcation.

Some people like to use Latex house paint, which is much cheaper, but I find it to be too thick to get a smooth finish.
Sep 03, 2013, 04:21 PM
Live as you Fly, UP & Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarToon
I don't actually paint for a living, and believe it or not, I don't normally prep my planes at all, except the British Stinson, which I prepped with acrylic polyurethane right out of the can. For the repaint, I use Model Master Acryl bottle paint, and a 1/2 to 3/4 inch hobby/craft brush..
Is that also what you used on your dynam spitfire as its a really good finish for the poor foam used to build it
Sep 03, 2013, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag1234
Is that also what you used on your dynam spitfire as its a really good finish for the poor foam used to build it
Yes, the green is MM RAF Dark Green #4849. The gray is Tamiya RAF Ocean Gray 2 #XF-82 (no Ocean Gray in MM). I wanted a lighter underside than medium sea gray, so I went with MM Light Sea Gray #4759. All of these colors are flat. I make my own markings ("borrowed" images from the net and RCG), with Papilio inkjet waterproof vinyl stickers, which are only 3 mil thick.
May 29, 2018, 06:51 PM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
Nice Dynam 109 and Stinson. Is that a PZ 109 tail wheel on the Dynam?

Quick Reply