Feb 07, 2020, 10:57 AM
Glad you got 'er flying well. Tritle's designs are really semi-scale free flight models that survive a number of flights well if flown from smooth surfaces in calm morning air. Their main charm is that they can fly slow and scale-like on 1/2 power and land gently. If you pile on detail and fill structure with balsa for looks, they need to fly and land faster with more frequent damage, don't ask!!

For some reason, I get a note saying that my browser cannot view your videos(??) It accepts most You Tube videos though.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2020, 01:32 PM
Where's the lift?
Good assessment of the Tritle designs. They are built light, and if you try to beef them up you end up with stress risers in bad places. I like all of Pat's designs, but I respect them for what they are. Light and scale, and delicate-- not meant for years of use and abuse.
Feb 07, 2020, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy
Good assessment of the Tritle designs. They are built light, and if you try to beef them up you end up with stress risers in bad places. I like all of Pat's designs, but I respect them for what they are. Light and scale, and delicate-- not meant for years of use and abuse.
I don't see why they can't last for years, mine are aging well. This plane cant stand a stiff breeze, so I treat it dainty. I beef them up mainly for handling. Body sides, wing tips, hardwood struts (now). I'm still learning,
Feb 08, 2020, 02:31 AM
Where's the lift?
It is possible to add strength in certain areas, but what makes Pat's designs such artisan pieces is his shrewd use of minimalist structure, with lots of lightening holes and small gage stick wood, to keep the weight down. If you are not careful in sizing up or beefing up, the weight can get away from you quickly. I have this same kit (60" Stinson Voyager), and I was considering converting it to glow, until I had a chance to examine the plans and kit contents. Not the right design for an IC engine. The structure is just too light.

Any of the Tritle designs can yield years of good service, but you have to be very aware that they are delicate planes, and are not the kind of model you can throw in the back of your truck with your Goldberg Cub and your Sig Kadet.
Feb 08, 2020, 01:54 PM
It is good practice to use basswood stringers in rear fuselage where soft balsa tends to crack and dent inward with handling. Avoid anything else that adds extra weight to the rear fuselage and tail feathers. If necessary, it is good to do a little bolstering of landing gear mounting and wing strut attachment.Use light weight covering such as my favorite, Parklite. These models do best taking off ROG and landing on a smooth surface in calm morning air. Small wheels don't do well in grass leading to landing gear, etc., damage. Don't try to fly in gusty cross-wind conditions. With, proper CG and no warps, plus good tail-dragger technique and decent flying venue, Tritle designs can survive hundreds of pleasing flights.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Feb 08, 2020 at 02:02 PM.
Mar 04, 2020, 04:04 AM
BStinBrokeIN (4 min 52 sec)

I'm getting superb mileage out of my Stinson. The extra weight only made it sweeter. It can take a little bit of wind now and it hasn't flipped over since. Hobbyking stopped selling the tundra tires, but most 4" or 5" wheels will work on an unimproved field. The small flaps slow it down to a crawl with only a little bump when they pop.
May 06, 2021, 11:48 PM
Update. Of all my Pat kits, this one has been the most fun. Rough fields and man handling have taken their toll, but so far it's patched (a lot) and floats in still air, too relaxing. Advice? Brass tubing at the strut attachment points, instead of aluminum and larger wire on the struts, especially on the fuselage end. The aluminum tubes deform over time and the wire will bend and slip out under stress. Beef up the wing tips too, these fold on contact.
I tripped on a rock and tried to jump over it, didn't make it. I hate to lose them on the ground, It will fly again.

Quick Reply