Dec 08, 2012, 01:51 PM
Hey Pat, looks like we both like red planes this time. Thought I would post up a couple of pics of my version of your 50" Pacer. Is not complete yet but is close. Covering is Coverlite from Cover-rite, a faux tissue covering that I have come to like working with. Still have some things to do but is close. Weight to date, with a 1300ma battery and 400 size motor, is 21ozs. Should come in between 23 and 24ozs all up.

Hey, E-challenged, the fin fillet on this is also done with Coverlite. Fear fin fillets................NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TTFN The Yank
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2012, 03:44 PM
nice job on the fillet.

not to get too far off topic, but an instructional video clip (or thread) on how to make them nicely like this would be appreciated.
I wasn't able to locate anthing on a search here in rcg (lots come up when you search for fillets).
Last edited by jonquinn; Dec 08, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Dec 08, 2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah, the fillet looks awesome. Much better than the one on my Tritle Super Cub. I used silver coverlite which I hear is a bit harder to work with than the other colors. It's not bad but not nearly as clean as this one.
Dec 08, 2012, 05:58 PM
Maybe if I do another one I will post a "How To". It's not difficult but does take some work. It also can be done with most any covering type, including regular tissue paper.

TTFN The Yank
Dec 09, 2012, 08:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeeone
Hey Pat, looks like we both like red planes this time. Thought I would post up a couple of pics of my version of your 50" Pacer. Is not complete yet but is close. Covering is Coverlite from Cover-rite, a faux tissue covering that I have come to like working with. Still have some things to do but is close. Weight to date, with a 1300ma battery and 400 size motor, is 21ozs. Should come in between 23 and 24ozs all up.

Hey, E-challenged, the fin fillet on this is also done with Coverlite. Fear fin fillets................NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TTFN The Yank
Yank, Your fin fillet looks great!!! That's a very tricky area to deal with, and to accomplish it with litrespan is quite an undertaking. Well done.....

PAT
Dec 09, 2012, 09:07 AM
Thread OP
Jon, bd, Doing up the fillet with Litespan / Copverltet is by far trickier then doing it with Litefilm. So if Yank were to work up a "How-To" dealing with those materials it would be a terrific addition, and no doubt a big help for those using those materials.

For those who are working with Microlite and could use a little extra help, there's a detailed description of getting the fillet set up on the 1:8 L-4 here.: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=833111&page=7

The technique would be basically the same for all of the "Piper CUB" type airplanes that incorpertate that style of cover.

PAT
Dec 09, 2012, 01:05 PM
Senile Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
For those who are working with Microlite and could use a little extra help, there's a detailed description of getting the fillet set up on the 1:8 L-4 here.: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=833111&page=7
I knew I had seen your documentation of doing vertical stab fillets before. I just couldn't remember where. You really need to put the fillet portion of that thread in the building tips section of your web site.

Larry
Dec 11, 2012, 12:57 PM
Thread OP

Almost Finished

The last of the covering is on and the hinges are glued and the controls are set up. Once all that was done, the windows were glued in and the wheels mounted. At this point, the only thing left is to apply the graphics when they arrive, then set up the CG and mount the battery. Then we can test fly

PAT
Dec 11, 2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
The Voyager was a 105. The only real difference between the 10A and the Voyager was the cabin was a bit wider, and some other non major changes. Don't think you would notice in the air.
Actually, the Voyager was the 105 AND the 108 (-1, -2, & -3). Other variants (interior options) were called Station Wagons.

I owned a 108-1 Voyager.

Sam
Dec 11, 2012, 06:39 PM
It's a fine fiddly business.
The whole thing is beautiful and the
faux wood prop sets it off very nicely.
Robert
Dec 18, 2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboycpa
Actually, the Voyager was the 105 AND the 108 (-1, -2, & -3). Other variants (interior options) were called Station Wagons.

I owned a 108-1 Voyager.

Sam

Yeah,
But the difference was about like a C-140 compared to a C-170. BIG difference.
My parents have a 165hp 108-2 Station Wagon that is a far cry from a Franklin 90hp 105 Voyager.
Chris...
Dec 18, 2012, 09:17 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Trim

Got the trim in the mail from Callie late last week and applied it over the weekend.....
Dec 18, 2012, 09:19 PM
Pat,
Great looking model, super design. Looking forward to it's flying well, too.
Chris...
Dec 18, 2012, 09:21 PM
Thread OP

All Finished Up and Ready to Fly

The last step in the process was to get the CG set up and the battery located. The tray went in just aft of the hatch using a 2200 2S battery to get a good CG. And with that, the Stinson is finished and ready to fly. Now, once the weather breaks we'll sneak in a test flight or two and see how she does. But for now, we wait............

PAT
Dec 18, 2012, 10:20 PM
Gravity sucks.
Nice work, as usual Pat. Well done, cute airplane!

Mark

Quick Reply