Nov 29, 2012, 04:55 PM
Thread OP

Finishing the Last of the Fuselage Frame

The fuselage stringers were added to finish out the basic frame. The servos and control system was also set up and run in. The vertical tail was glued in place since it has to be covered along with the fuselage frame.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2012, 04:59 PM
Thread OP

Setting Up the Wing Joinery

The wing was set up on the saddle, the dowels drilled and glued in place and the bolt holes drilled and tapped. Then the stringers were added and the bolt hole fairings fitted and glued in place.
Nov 29, 2012, 05:02 PM
Thread OP

Rigging the Lift Struts

The Washout Jig was set up and the struts rigged to pretty well complete the basic airframe.
Nov 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
Thread OP

Building the cowl

The cowl was framed up and carved to shape mounted on the fuselage and the final shaping done. It's been quite awhile since I carved a cowl, but it was actually kinda' fun for a change....

The windsheild pattern was made up from typing paper and fitted on the fuselage. Will make up all the clear parts after the frame is covered.

Still need to mount the motor, but it's not here yet so will save that little task for last. Won't be a big deal though, looks like a simple box will do the trick

The last detail was to add the landing gear fill. Then once the putty dries we'll get the final sanding done and she'll be ready for cover.

PAT
Nov 29, 2012, 06:44 PM
Senile Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
The windsheild pattern was made up from typing paper and fitted on the fuselage.
What is typing paper?

Larry
Nov 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
CH Spring
Very nice.

It will very closely resemble the real one.

I'll be following. I came quite interested in how it flies.

It certainly looks like you're doing nice work.

Who knows?

Perhaps there will be one of these in my future. You certainly have me thinking about it.

Cheers!
Nov 29, 2012, 07:14 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
I built one of Pats' 48" span version from plans that were published in RCM ages ago. A very nice flyer. Was my first Pat T design to build. Still have it and I take it out occasionally for some fun. A lot better flyer with a 2 cell LiPo than the original 7 cel KAN 950 round cells!! Have to be careful handling it as the bottom stringers are easy to break. One of the reason I use basswood stringers in the Pat T designs I build now, at least in the "handling" areas. I can get a bit ham handed at times.

Have a kit for the 60" version in the stash. Might need to frame her up one of these days.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Dec 03, 2012, 11:14 AM
Thread OP

Setting Up the Motor Mount

The motor and ESC arrived on Friday, so was able to get the mount set up late last week. The mount is a simple 3 sided balsa box with a lite ply firewal. The down and right thrust were sanded into the box on a disc sander, the the unit located on the firewall using the cowl for reference, then glued in place. And with that, we're ready to cover!!!! Now, once the little brown truck from Tower Hobbies drops of my pajkage we'l get back on it.

PAT
Dec 04, 2012, 09:46 AM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Pat,
The wooden cowl bowl looks great. There is nothing wrong with plastic but wood is magnificent.
Robert
Dec 05, 2012, 11:42 AM
Thread OP

The Microlite is Here, and the Fun has Already Begun!!!

Got strated covering yesterday. Started with all the small parts and was able to finish the horizontal stab, rudder, flaps and ailerons. Also ran the servo wiring into the wings, so will get started on those as soon as the iron gets hot.....

PAT
Dec 05, 2012, 12:27 PM
How difficult would it be to modify this plane to an L-5 sentinel? It seems like the flying surfaces are pretty close.
Dec 05, 2012, 01:04 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoran
How difficult would it be to modify this plane to an L-5 sentinel? It seems like the flying surfaces are pretty close.
Oooh, now that's a cool thought!

James
Dec 05, 2012, 03:42 PM
CH Spring
I see one of these in this colour scheme in my future.
Dec 07, 2012, 06:57 PM
Thread OP

Finishing Up the Cover

Nothing out of the ordinary here -- with the posible exception of the fin fillet. However, it's a large area, so no major problems were encountered.

Now we're on to final assembly.....

PAT
Dec 08, 2012, 12:57 PM
We have nothing to fear but fin fillets. If at first you don't succeed, just strip and re-cover until TLAR.

Quick Reply