Nov 20, 2012, 09:40 AM
Build Log

60" Stinson Voyager

It's been a LOOONG time since I built a Dare kit, but the oppertunity came up to work up a 60" Stinson Voyager -- one of my all-time-favorite designs -- but this time to add flaps and ailerons. This is going to be fun, and I can't wait to fly this thing. It'll be the first one I've flown with ailerons, or flaps.

Construction began at the back with the rudder and elevator assemblies. Not much out of the ordinary here, and assembly went pretty quickly.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2012, 09:42 AM
I eat glue
Patrick, that IS NOT a Fleet Canuk!
Nov 20, 2012, 09:44 AM

Getting Started on the Wings

Construction began with the center section. This is where the conversion from hand drawn plans to laser cut parts started to rear its ugly head. Parts fit was marginal at best, and some looking ahead was required to insure that the outer panels would align properly when mating up to the dihedral braces. Some adjustments needed to be made, but generally speaking it all went together pretty well. Holes were also added to accommodate the wiring for the flap and aileron servos.
Nov 20, 2012, 09:48 AM
I eat glue
Here's my colour scheme.
Nov 20, 2012, 09:54 AM

Moving Outward to the Wing Panels

Here's where the major modification will occure. The plans were marked up showing the flap/aileron spar locations first, then the spars were laid out and the ribs cut off at the spar. To keep things accurate the entire set of ribs was stack cut in one pass to insure they all came out the same.

At this point the plans and parts were a good bit different, so the ribs were used to space the spars and assembled letting things fall where they may. The flap and aileron ribs were cut to length and the parts assembled directly on the wing. The servo mounts were then added to pretty well complete the mod.

The other wing was built on the same plan using WD-40 to wet the plan and make it transparent. Marking up the other wing plan would have been a whole lot more bother, and the chances of both sides coming out the same would be at best, slim to none!!!
Nov 20, 2012, 10:09 AM

Joing the panels

With both panels and the center section completed it's time to make one big piece from 3 little ones. To start, the RH panel was clamped to the dihedral braces and glued with thin Cya. The clamps were removed and the final gluing done. Same goes for the other side, but the C-Section was pinned to the table and the LH panel blocked up to match the RH. Then the braces were clamped and glued.

Once joined, the leading edge sheeting and tip bracing was added and the entire assembly sanded to final shape. Then with the basic assembly finished, the flap and aileron servos were glued in place with silicone caulk and set aside to dry.

Next, it's on to the fuselage.....

PAT
Nov 20, 2012, 11:41 AM
It's a fine fiddly business.
Sweet.
Robert
Nov 20, 2012, 08:48 PM

Starting the Fuselage Frame

Building the fuselage begins with the side frames. Unlike the more recent designs, the side frames are built over the fuselage side view rather then a "build-on" view.

The basic frames are dedicated to left & right sides because of the sheeting and landing gear mount supports. The frames were built over the plan and sanded flush, then the sheeting and LG supports were added.

Next up is to get the sides joined up, and then she'll really start looking like a Stinson.

PAT
Nov 20, 2012, 09:59 PM
I eat glue
What kind of pizza did you order?
Nov 21, 2012, 12:34 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Pat,

Is this going to be a short kit in the future? I don't remember a Dare 60" Stinson.

Dave
Nov 21, 2012, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999
Pat,

Is this going to be a short kit in the future? I don't remember a Dare 60" Stinson.

Dave
Dave, The Stinson is being built from the original 60" Dare kit. I also did a 48" Stinson Voyager and Dare has a kit for that too. You can see them on the Dare web site here: http://www.darehobby.com/airplanes/a...lectric-03.htm That being the case, I can't offer it as a short kit.

PAT
Nov 21, 2012, 10:16 AM
Balsa&Tissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Dave, The Stinson is being built from the original 60" Dare kit. I also did a 48" Stinson Voyager and Dare has a kit for that too. You can see them on the Dare web site here: http://www.darehobby.com/airplanes/a...lectric-03.htm That being the case, I can't offer it as a short kit.

PAT
Pat,

I am familiar with Dare and I just didn't realize they had it. Maybe it was offered as a three channel so I cruised past it. Is Dare and Brodak making kits readily available again? I sure hope so. I was going to cut a B-17 out by hand but I am tempted to just buy the kit from them if it will ship in a reasonable time frame. I need to check in with them again. I already ordered and received your plans almost a year back. So many projects and so little time in the shop!

Thanks,

Dave
Nov 26, 2012, 12:39 PM

Don't want to burst your bubble but the plane you have pictured is a Stinson 10A or 105
Nov 26, 2012, 01:02 PM
I eat glue
The Voyager was a 105. The only real difference between the 10A and the Voyager was the cabin was a bit wider, and some other non major changes. Don't think you would notice in the air.
Nov 29, 2012, 12:49 PM
CH Spring
Actually, the 60 inch kit is for a Stinson 108-3. It too was called the Voyager. The 108-3 had a longer wing, slightly larger fuel tanks, higher gross weight, and different fin and rudder than the 108-1, 108-2, the 105, or the HW75.

I used to own one.

Cheers!