Dec 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
Hi Adrian,

very mysterious

If i start the newest downloader with the .exe, it runs perfect, serial port is found at once with no delay.

If i now start the downloader.jar from the same folder where the .exe is placed, the serial port isn't found at all. And so it is with your BT downloader.jar.

So my question is, what is the additional function of the .exe to find the serial port? And why does the .jar not find it?

UPDATE: I found the error There are two different rxtxSerial.dll's, one for x32 and one for x64. I use at office and at home x64, so the error is plausible.

I changed the DLL and your app run at once. So i hope to find some time for testing this weekend, even the weather brings some ice rain

So i hope, this will help someone...

Regards
Markus
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2012, 12:12 PM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
Good news Markus. Thank you for the update.
Dec 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
Can someone help me out? I've got no Bluetooth on my PC but I do on my phone and tablet, is it possible to use a terminal emu on either of these to setup my rn-42 bt module? Thanks

Brian
Dec 16, 2012, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
Hello Brian

I have not used a tablet or phone to set up ar RN-42, but I see no reason why it should not work. As long as you get a connection using the parameters listed and are able to type '$$$' and get 'CMD' as the response.

Let us know how it goes!

Also, to make it easier, it is a good idea to do the initial programming of the RN-42 (Baud rate and device class) without the RN-42 RX pin connected to the altimeter. Make sure you get these settings changed successfully before connecting this pin. It can work with the pin connected too, it just may take some fiddling.
Dec 16, 2012, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
You could try this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oothterm&hl=en
or
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5ibHVldGVybSJd

(there are more apps too)
Dec 16, 2012, 07:31 PM
Blueterm did the trick, very quickly too. Thanks! Now to flash the OA with the firmware
Dec 16, 2012, 08:27 PM
And sheepishly asking how do I setup to flash the v2 firmware as I have no clue what files to put where. Or what files to even move for that matter....thanks for the help!
Last edited by brs608; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Dec 16, 2012, 09:26 PM
Thread OP
Try unzipping the downloaded file, open the folder and execute the ".jar" file.

If the app cannot find the com ports, see comments on the rxtxserial driver above for some clues on fixing it.

Everything else should be the same as the usual downloader app. If it does not allow you to flash the firmware, try the tips in this thread - primarily the "Set RTS on close" option mentioned in the posts above, and the reset trick.

The firmware and flash tools are included in the download.

Failing all this, post here and I will try to help some more!
Dec 16, 2012, 10:35 PM
I've tried all suggestions here. I've set the rts on close and shorted pin 1/6 to flash w module attached. V8 software was preloaded and works just fine. I've even changed out and flashed the btoa firmware with the v8 version But the btoa app Still refuses to find com ports. Very much the same problem someone else was having but I can't seems to replace the right rxtxserial.DLL. I can't figure it out, so I'm giving it up for the night. Windows vista 64 if it matters
Last edited by brs608; Dec 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Dec 16, 2012, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
Sounds like you need the 64 bit driver to be in the right place (the rxtxserial.dll file included in the package is likely only the 32 bit version). Try searching for "rxtxserial.dll" and replace the one in the folder you downloaded with one either from V8's folders or from system32 folder. You could also first try just removing the one in the downloaded folders...

If you get the right rxtxserial.dll file, it should also work with only one copy of it in the system32 folder inside the windows folder.
Dec 16, 2012, 11:06 PM
I've moved so many rxtxserial files that I don't know which is which. I'm not an idiot but this is working my nerves. I've gotten eclipse ide working in this same computer to build with following tutorials but can't get this. Its quite frustrating, I can't even get the serial port selection to come up in the btoa app
Dec 16, 2012, 11:17 PM
Thread OP
I know, it can be frustrating. You will solve it!!

Look at this: http://henrypoon.wordpress.com/2010/...ion-with-java/

Note the paths where the dll may be - <JAVA_HOME>\lib\ext, system32 and app folders.

If there is the wrong version anywhere in these locations, it can prevent the serial ports from working. If you removed all rxtxserial.dll files and only placed one in the <JAVA_HOME>\lib\ext folder, you may solve the problem (assuming the 64 bit dll version).

Another approach would be to rename the jar and replace the jar file in the V8 folders?
Dec 16, 2012, 11:26 PM
Thread OP
Just by the way, I went through the same process - with a Macbook AND windows!!

It is all about the right file version in the right place and no multiple copies.
Dec 16, 2012, 11:44 PM
I've now downloaded the 64 bit versions and installed according to the blog instructions. No luck. I'm uninstalling all oa packs. Going to start w v1 btoa and go from there
Last edited by brs608; Dec 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
Dec 16, 2012, 11:48 PM
Thread OP
Good luck - I hope you get it working soon.

Quick Reply