Dec 09, 2012, 05:08 PM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
The background to the issue:

On Mac, when the connection to the USB serial port is established, the RTS line goes low and stays low till disconnected.

This keeps the BT device's TX in a "tri state"(?) reset mode and allows the USB to communicate with the OA without the BT device interfering.

In windows, the behavior is that the RTS line pulses (low and back to high) (reseting the device) but then since the BT device is not held in reset, it will respond to the OA and its TX line now interferes with the TX from the USB - therefore no comms from the downloader app.

Also, the avrdude software on windows does not hold the RTS low (even with the "Set RTS on close" option selected) where the downloader does.
Last edited by extremewing; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2012, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
Initialising the BT device
To setup the BT device the first time (the baud rate and device class)
if you cannot get into CMD mode, the OA may be "interfering".

If the BTOA firmware is installed, you will have 4 seconds to get into CMD mode (connecting and typing '$$$' from power up) before the OA may "interrupt" you.

Stock firmware is even less time, so you may want to disconnect the wire (see below)

If you cannot get into CMD mode, remove a connector (TX on OA side) and try again.
Dec 09, 2012, 11:06 PM
Afflicted with DDD
Got my BTOA working along with the new downloader yesterday. I had to go into the com port settings to "set RTS on close" like Adrian mentioned above. I'm running an ASUS PC with Windows 7. The downloader works slick. I was running the max range setting for the Bluetooth and didn't have any range problems with the ATX 6 channel Rx (FHSS3) in my Fr3aK. I found that If I fly close to myself (about 30 feet) the F3K Master on my Droid will tell me the launch height even before I land. The range with the plane on the ground is only about 2 feet but much greater while the plane is in the air.

The battery voltage readout is a great safety feature. I fly with 250 and 400 maH Nimh viper packs and don't fly too long before I switch them out.

I've got about 30 launches on the system now and couldn't be happier. Adrian took a great product (thanks Jony) and made it better. I'll post a screen capture of the downloader page after I get to fly a little more (when it warms up )
Bob
Dec 09, 2012, 11:08 PM
Thread OP
Bob, I am impressed - you found the "Set RTS on close" trick! How did you know?
Dec 09, 2012, 11:17 PM
Afflicted with DDD
Post 15 of this thread
After I read this post the other day, I was looking for the symptoms and when I couldn't hook up, I knew what to do. I've been following all your posts on F3K Master and the BTOA very closely. I'm not a computer wiz but I can usually follow directions., Heck, I've even been known to read a few manuals. Will that cost me my Man Card?

As long as I have your ear/eye, I have a question. Since you were kind enough to mod my OA to the BTOA config, I am assuming that you also flashed the new V2 firmware into the BTOA so I don't have to do that. Do I need to download, unzip and install the Desktop app? What does it do?
Bob
Last edited by Soarhead00; Dec 09, 2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: speeling
Dec 09, 2012, 11:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarhead00
Post 15 of this thread
After I read this post the other day, I was looking for the symptoms and when I couldn't hook up, I knew what to do.
Post 15 is from today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarhead00
As long as I have your ear/eye, I have a question. Since you were kind enough to mod my OA to the BTOA config, I am assuming that you also flashed the new V2 firmware into the BTOA so I don't have to do that. Do I need to download, unzip and install the Desktop app? What does it do?
Bob
Yes, I flashed V2 of the BTOA firmware on yours.

The new desktop app adds two options: An "Alula" mode and the TX power of the BT module.

EDIT: The standard desktop app will not configure the BTOA but you can view data or clear the memory after selecting "Feeling lucky" at the firmware version warning.

The new desktop app also contains the BTOA V2 firmware if you needed to flash it for any reason.
Last edited by extremewing; Dec 09, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Dec 09, 2012, 11:38 PM
Afflicted with DDD
I guess I have the new downloader/desktop app configured because I could see the Alula mode option and the BT transmit power option. I downloaded Bluetooth Open Altimeter Windows V2.zip and worked with that. Your next post, #2, listed the "Source files" for DesktopApp.zip and I was wondering if I needed that.

As far as the time discrepancy you noted, I flew yesterday and downloaded the data this afternoon. Your help was very timely.
Bob
Dec 09, 2012, 11:42 PM
Thread OP
Very good. The Bluetooth Open Altimeter Windows V2.zip file is all you need.

The source files are for those that want to see what changed in the app.
Dec 09, 2012, 11:46 PM
Afflicted with DDD
Gotcha

It's supposed to warm up here by Wednesday so I'll have a chance to do more practicing.
Bob
Dec 10, 2012, 07:40 AM
H Adrian,

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
Hello Markus

I was wondering when someone would ask
Happy to be the first I just had been able to test the BT-OA with your android software, very very impressing! Because it snow all weekend, i can't test it in a plane, but will as soon as possible. In the meantime, i build a few more OA's, hehe...

I also will test your advice to get the OA going on the serial port, sounds logical to me. I'll report.

Regards
Markus
Dec 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
Thread OP
Thank you Markus! Let me know how it goes...
Dec 11, 2012, 07:03 AM
Hi Adrian,

i tested my BTOA here in my office, but it didn't run. After changing the settings you wrote above, the BTOA is resetted when connecting, but the BTOA desktop app didn't find any serial ports. I changed the port aassignement and also the hook at the mentioned point in theadvanced settings, but no serial port was found.

With which software can i compile the desktop app?

Regards
Markus
Dec 11, 2012, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Markus, does the desktop app connect to a normal OA, have you ever had it working yet?
Are you running the jar file after extracting the zip? There are files the jar file needs in the directories around it.
Dec 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
Hi Adrian,

if you mean the 'normal' desktop app for 'normal' OA, yes! There's been no problem at all. What makes me a bit worry is that the BT desktop app doesn't find any serial ports even the 'normal' desktop app does, with same interface (Sparkfun, recommended by Jony).

I know how to make the app running by clicking the .jar file, that should not be the problem, i guess... I'll try it again and see if i can find something why it doesn't work with the BT app. I just got eclipse running, not easy for someone with my programming skills

Regards
Markus
Dec 11, 2012, 03:56 PM
Thread OP
Markus, it sounds like the downloader cannot find the drivers. You could even try replacing the jar file in the old OA downloader directories with the new one (Or keep both jar files with different names so you can run both versions)? That may work. You would need to move / copy the firmware file too if you wanted to flash the device.

Quick Reply