Jan 10, 2013, 08:03 PM
are we there yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
I just ran through the process on Windows with success.

1) Ensure you are using the downloader from the OP (V2)
2) Get the tweezers on the pins to reset as shown in the picture in the first posts.
3) Open the firmware flash dialog and press "Erase and flash"
4) Briefly open and close again the tweezers
5) When the downloader log says restarting device, remove the tweezers completely
6) Follow the rest of the steps, adjusting and confirming settings as desired

The above instructions are for Windows only. Mac users do not need to reset the device with tweezers.
I have followed these steps on two computers and I am still getting the settings screen below with an error verifying altimeter settings after trying to save them.

The readout in the log looks correct except I would like the bluetooth turned down a little more. I cannot fly with my bluetooth headset on with my Hitec Aurora 9. so I wanted the bluetooth to be set to a very low output. in the log it shows 2db from your experience has that setting caused any interferance? I plan to range check the setup before flying either way.

I have been wanting to get a mac for a while, this just adds more ammo to getting it. using the tweezers at just the right time is a PITA. takes a couple tries to get it right.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2013, 08:19 PM
Afflicted with DDD
FWIW, I've been flying with my BTOA at 6db (I think max is 12?) and have had no problems with my Airtronics SD10G with a 6 channel FHSS3 Rx.
Bob
Jan 10, 2013, 08:29 PM
are we there yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarhead00
FWIW, I've been flying with my BTOA at 6db (I think max is 12?) and have had no problems with my Airtronics SD10G with a 6 channel FHSS3 Rx.
Bob
That's good to know. I'd bet the power of the headset and iPhone are a lot higher than that.
Jan 10, 2013, 08:31 PM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
Alan, just to confirm. You are using the V2 of the app and do you have the "Set RTS on close" option set? I have got it working with that unchecked lately too.

2dbm is 1/10th power or so and may get six feet.

Your BT headset interferes with the Aurora?
Jan 10, 2013, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
In the Alula, I use -5dbm and it connects and stops the timer almost exactly as I catch the plane. Carbon fuse will attenuate that a lot, hence the additional power.

There are also details of two more updates to the hardware configuration coming soon. One deals with the BT antenna position and the other is to make the serial connection less troublesome under Windows when flashing the device.
Jan 10, 2013, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
On the new firmware, the device starts with the following tones (a slight change from before):

1) It will make the usual startup sound
2) Beep LiPo cell count if LiPo type is enabled
3) Then,
"ready to accept connection" signal is the "0" sound (sounds like two very short beeps)
OR 4 beeps for error communicating with the BT device
4) Then, one beep for BT restarting in auto connect mode
5) Two beeps for connected to F3K Master and data sent
Jan 11, 2013, 01:21 AM
Adrian, thanks a lot for your work! All went well flashing the new firmware and testing at home did it also. Now i only need a ready to fly plane I broke the tail tube last time flying. I have a new fuselage, now i need only time to rebuild...

One think to remember: please try in case of a not working flashing of the firmware anythink like a wire or so! I tried to bridge the pins with a stainless tweezers, that didn't work as expected. I tried again with a short jump wire and it works on first try. So please try this before throwing your PC out of the window

Markus
Jan 11, 2013, 10:12 AM
are we there yet?
Quote:
Alan, just to confirm. You are using the V2 of the app and do you have the "Set RTS on close" option set? I have got it working with that unchecked lately too.

2dbm is 1/10th power or so and may get six feet.

Your BT headset interferes with the Aurora?
Yes I am using the V2 version. I am on Win7 64bit ( I tried the 64bit version and it never found any serial ports) I have com3 set to "Set RTS on close". I will try with it unchecked at lunch.

I was listening to music on my LG headset ( hbs-700) when I walked out to the field to fly and with the plane sitting on the ground stick movement did not move any surfaces, after tuning off the headset everything was fine. I had my iphone in my front pocket, not sure how much power either of those devices have. I will test the BTOA before using it, I will also test the LG headset again next time I go out flying.

edit: I have a mac at my office I will try there also. if that is what it takes I am fine using it, our mac sits in the design department unused most of the time. its kinda sad.
Jan 11, 2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan C
I was listening to music on my LG headset ( hbs-700) when I walked out to the field to fly and with the plane sitting on the ground stick movement did not move any surfaces, after tuning off the headset everything was fine. I had my iphone in my front pocket, not sure how much power either of those devices have. I will test the BTOA before using it, I will also test the LG headset again next time I go out flying.
Hi Alan,

kinda off-topic, but I would consider getting your radio system checked out (or it could be your phone/headset - might be worth seeing if you get interference from other headsets, and whether your headset interferes with other radios to narrow it down). A bluetooth headset really shouldn't be able to jam a 2.4GHz system at short range like that. Generally, 2.4GHz devices are supposed to operate in such a way that they don't talk over each other too much. They can be jammed if there is a 2.4GHz transmitter close enough to overload the input amplifier on the receiver, but this really shouldn't happen in this set-up. (FPV pilots see this when they use 2.4GHz video links, but they are transmitting at high power from inside the model).

Jony
Jan 11, 2013, 12:52 PM
are we there yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonyEpsilon
Hi Alan,

kinda off-topic, but I would consider getting your radio system checked out (or it could be your phone/headset - might be worth seeing if you get interference from other headsets, and whether your headset interferes with other radios to narrow it down). A bluetooth headset really shouldn't be able to jam a 2.4GHz system at short range like that. Generally, 2.4GHz devices are supposed to operate in such a way that they don't talk over each other too much. They can be jammed if there is a 2.4GHz transmitter close enough to overload the input amplifier on the receiver, but this really shouldn't happen in this set-up. (FPV pilots see this when they use 2.4GHz video links, but they are transmitting at high power from inside the model).

Jony
I plan to look into it more. it only happened once and I just turned the headset off and haven't tried flying with it since. that's what I get for trying to fly on the clock, I can do a lot of remote support from anywhere so I figured I could fly and still do phone support.

I will report back when have checked it out. I now have a second Aurora 9 so I will see if I get a different result with that radio.
Jan 11, 2013, 08:35 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Was the headset turned on before the tx? Could that disrupt the tx linking with the rx?

BP
Jan 11, 2013, 08:36 PM
are we there yet?
Bob I honestly don't remember. I'm going hiking tomorrow with my kids I may have time when we get back to do some testing.
Jan 12, 2013, 12:26 AM
Hi,

I couldn't belive in this at all. We fly with an ACT S3D-System since two years and haven't had any disturbing of the radio at all. In one case, i have had a big problem with the radio, but it has had a damage, so no failure of the system!

We made a Lot of tests with the radio because we wanted to be as sure as possible to not to be disturbed again. My friend lost a large model with 35MHz by disturbing so we decided to switch to a much more safer 2.4-System.

The transmission to a headset or something like this doesn't use channel hopping afaik. So the chance to disturb a radio should be theoretically against zero exept the radio has a failure.
Jan 12, 2013, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
I updated the apk file in the OP. The same version is now also live on the Google Play store.
Jan 13, 2013, 07:03 AM
Quote:
The new F3K Master does have the units, but the firmware needs to be updated.

I am testing it now and will upload the .bin file for you ASAP!
Hi

is the new Firmware online on first page?

Patrick

Quick Reply